jack hammer!!, post solid mass conversion effect??

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidashaigh

Reaction score
Hello alll.

i have recently converted my DM flywheel to a solid variety. mainly because it is susggested that this is the best ting to do when the DM breaks down. since i have had it back it had been making a jack hammer kind of noise, my mechanic says he is unsure as what it can be. had the usual parts replaced with the solid mass (clutch plate, bearing etc.) the noise is only there when the car is ideling, at lights etc but also when not in gear at slow speeds. it does go away when i apply the clutch though.

has this happened to any of you and what could be the cause??

cheers guys, Dave

55/a3/1.9tdisport

Common fault of fitting a single mass flywheel mate, if it goes away when you dip the clutch then like i said its common. Think you can solve it/reduce the noise by fitting a fluidamper or i believe awesomegti have got a trick where they remove something from the gearbox and top it up with extra fluid to help aswell.

Really? Common? to sound like a jack hammer?

i don't think so.....

I've done 4 single mass conversions now, and not one of them has made nasty noises in idle!

the only one that makes any noise is the ultra light 6kg flywheel in my track car, which makes a very quiet rattle when the clutch is up, but you'd hardly notice it!

What single mass kit did you use mate?

Did you do it properly with an ABF flywheel and VR6 clutch? or did you buy one of the ''single mass conversion'' kits that seem to be appearing all over the place lately for £150-200?

Thought that when you do the smf conversion thats what happens! Thought they rattled on idle etc until in gear or the clutch was pressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.