Am considering an S3 as prices are reasonalbe... Usual Q's...

• Thread starter imported_ZeroK66
  • Start date
I

imported_ZeroK66

Hello all,

Well having owned an A4 for a while I was leaning towards an S4, but it seems for the same money I can get a VERY low mileage S3... what is there to look out for in general with these?

What is the turbo life like on these - assuming its not chipped?

What is the general way people in the UK are going with regards to Turbo upgrades etc... Jabba/IHI or other things? What are the "big boys" runnin power wise?

What is the limit of the S3 225 rods... 350lbs/ft? Which has stronger con-rods, the 210 or the 225?

Thanks,
Leon

My mate IHI rich eh?? lol

Well I want a motor that wont go bang after 300lbs/ft! And the look of the S3 is mint out the box. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yes Rich with the IHI turbo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif, well I dont think it will go bang though, hes uprated his engine I believe. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Ahh... thats alright then /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I want a motor I dont need to open is all... 225 rods are good for well over 300lbs/ft... so thats safe + the lower CR means easier/more reliable power without the need for HIGH boost levels.

If I was to open it... steel rods, JE 8:1 pistons, 2l crank... MMMM, 400lbs/ft 400+ Brake :p

Dont get me wrong the S3 is a marvel, but you know I have to be biased as Im getting an uprated 225BHP (TT or S3 engine) 1.8T 20V plant with IHI. Cannot wait!

So in a word I guess the IHI and remap is the way to go for the S3 as that is pretty much what I'm doing but in an A3 shell.

But by the sounds of it your saying I may not need to uprate my 225 engine?

Anybody want to enlighten us on what power the engine can take before the requirement to uprate?

I melted my pistons tho :'(

lol - Joys of a home build!

was it a s3 lump?
Alot has got to do with tuning aswell,you can fry forgies too.

Yeah... lol it was a 210 motor with an IHI running G60 management in a corrado... need I say anymore! WHOOOSHHHH SMOOOOOOOOOKE... haha

At least I can laugh about it now.