What do i need to do to get around 250bhp A3 1.8T AGU

AGU-TURBO

Audi a3 1.8t AGU
Reaction score
Im currently at around 200bhp and im wanting to try and get to around 250 mark which i think will be plenty on a fwd car with no LSD. What sort of figures am i looking at on a k03s. I would love to go hybrid but i just don't have the pennys

I'm interested in the answer to this one as I'm after similar from my agu, would love to have a nice sleeper

You could settle for a little less at 230bhp ish and have an easy upgrade to the k03s. Although its the same (phical fitment) its a whole world better, pulls much stronger and breathes a lot better.

Or for a bit more hassle and another step up you could go for a k04 conversion, even better and will net you 260-270 bhp. Its a bit more work but worth it in my opinion. I had a k04 converted 1.8t in my mk2 and it was rapid.

You got the power bug Si? lol

good exhaust (with high flow/de-cat)
silicone TIP
K03S
FMIC
custom map

should see 240bhp+

i'm going for 250 in my AGU aswell

You could settle for a little less at 230bhp ish and have an easy upgrade to the k03s. Although its the same (phical fitment) its a whole world better, pulls much stronger and breathes a lot better.

Or for a bit more hassle and another step up you could go for a k04 conversion, even better and will net you 260-270 bhp. Its a bit more work but worth it in my opinion. I had a k04 converted 1.8t in my mk2 and it was rapid.

You got the power bug Si? lol

Lol nick well i sold my 200bhp punto for somthing a bit more family like but ive had enough of that lot now and wanting to sort some descent power out for inters next year, So you could say "ive got the bug back" lol

what does k03 and k04 mean to an american audi owner? lol

Have you actually been in a 230bhp a3?

Before setting yourself a target power, I'd get a ride in a few cars first. You'll be surprised at how quick a 230bhp a3 is. It's quicker than a stage 1 s3 at 250bhp or so.....

What's your reason behind wanting 250bhp? I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to buy a hybrid, then a stage 2 ko3s is your only option!

Have you actually been in a 230bhp a3?

Before setting yourself a target power, I'd get a ride in a few cars first. You'll be surprised at how quick a 230bhp a3 is. It's quicker than a stage 1 s3 at 250bhp or so.....

What's your reason behind wanting 250bhp? I hate to say it, but if you can't afford to buy a hybrid, then a stage 2 ko3s is your only option!

Yeh ive been in plenty around those figures well not a3's but golf's. im power hungry mate lol just don't have the dosh to fuel it properly. i think im going to go k04 now.

Last edited:
So here is my shopping list. have i missed anything?

k04 turbo,
s3/tt manifold
custom down pipe
oil & water feed & return
s3/tt injectors
s3/tt fuel rail
4 FPR
s3/tt TIP

Last edited:
Your list is way off :p

You don't need an S3 fuel rail at all.

You can't use S3 injectors as they're a different fitment on the AGU sadly. You'll need something like Genesis 380's from USRT (google it)

You don't need a 4 bar FPR, it can be mapped perfectly on a stock 3 bar, and will put less loading on your fuel pump.

If you're done high mileage your pump will struggle, so you'll need an S3 fuel pump. Easiest solution is an LCR pump as it'll drop straight into your tank.

S3 boost hoses will be of no use to you at all. if you're on a stock SMIC that'll need replacing with an FMIC, and you can't fit the S3 twin cooler setup, as the inlet manifold is facing the wrong way on the AGU setup, so you'll need to get an FMIC sorted, or if you've already got one, mount the ko4, then work out what you'll need to plumb it into your existing FMIC pipes.

You also need a 3'' maf housing, although the S3 one will mount the sensor at 90 degrees to the airflow using the AGU sensor, so what you need is a mk3 golf VR6 MAF housing :)

Then a decent custom map
Also, probably worth noting that an S3 downpipe splits into 2 parts for the twin Cats on an S3, so even if you get the S3 twin cats, you'll need a way of mounting the 'Slip joint' A3 cat back to the flanged S3 cats. Easiest solution here is an LCR 3'' downpipe / decat, although I think that's still flanged and would need modifying.

Good luck!

ok cheers mate what i meant by boost hoses don't no why i put that but what i meant was turbo inlet pipe (tip). i also thought that i needed a 4bar fpr and i think the housing different between the 3bar and 4 bar i could be wrong though. So anyway ive been thinking, My best bet is to get the k04 setup on and then have a custom down pipe and exhaust made. Intercooler side i have a large fmic which i will make the piping up for to go round to the k04. I also have a walbro 255 fuel pump which should be ok for the job

You can fit the S3 injectors, you just need to change your injector seats in your manifold. Theyre only plastic screw in inserts so are a 5 min job. Ive done this before.

Yep 3 bar fpr is do able, even better if youve got a walbro.

The neatest option is to use the S3/TT inlet/boost pipe, youd need a transition gasket or port the inlet runners to match the head.

Pretty sure ive got a few vr maf tubes kicking around if you need one Si.

Best bet is to source everything together, otherwise if you buy seperately the costs go through the roof. K04 conversions pop up on the forums/egay quite regularly.

Biggest pain would be the downpipe/exhaust but aftermarket lcr or conversion pipes are available

Cheers nick yeh i think you'r right about holding off for a while and try a source everything together. i had the inserts out when i powder coated the manifold, they were only penny's from audi so if i can just change the seats for s3 one's and use them the s3 injectors thats the way ill go then.

Si theres a k04 kit on e38 now in the exhaust section, might be worth a look?

might be a good idea to upgrade your rods too!! you dont want to do all that work and have a rod be thrown out the side of your block!!

depends how much labour he can do himself really, New rods cost more than a new AGU block ;)

Certainly wouldnt consider rods for a k04 conversion. With a decent map, theyre simply not required.

You say that.....

Welly bent a rod with just a revo stage 1 map and an FMIC.

Several other people have bent rods on stage 1 and 2 KO4 setups.

a ko4 on an AGU is always going to be 'stage 2' spec, due to the way it's custom mapped.

a ko4 at 26psi, spooling at 3500rpm producing 270 bhp but 320lbft, will put a lot more stress on an engine than say a GT28, spooling at 4k rpm but peaking 22psi, and making 330bhp/300lbft.....

If your on a budget, get some SAAB Red injectors, they're 345cc or so and will drop streight into an AGU fuel rail.

Minimal effort that way, and the injectors are usually available on ebay for not much money.

Also, i've noticed Frankenturbo comes with a downpipe elbow that mates the K04 up to a standard K03 downpipe. Might be worth looking at having the elbow made, and keeping you existing K03 exhaust parts (assuming ofcourse you currently have upgraded downpipe/exhaust)

You say that.....

Welly bent a rod with just a revo stage 1 map and an FMIC.

Several other people have bent rods on stage 1 and 2 KO4 setups.

a ko4 on an AGU is always going to be 'stage 2' spec, due to the way it's custom mapped.

a ko4 at 26psi, spooling at 3500rpm producing 270 bhp but 320lbft, will put a lot more stress on an engine than say a GT28, spooling at 4k rpm but peaking 22psi, and making 330bhp/300lbft.....

To be fair though bud getting 320lb/ft from a k04 setup is a bit optimistic. My k04 was creaping on them levels but again were at the stage were mapping is crucial. Every s1/s2 k04 setup ive heard of thats went pop has had either generic/bad maps. They are safe, and can be pushed hard.

My k04 1.8t was custom mapped from a reputable bloke who knows his stuff, and thats what i think was essential to the health of my setup.

AGU - I will have S3 injectors for sale soon from my APY, I will also have a broken K04, I dont know how badly until my mechanic gets started on my Hybrid upgrade, but it may be worth getting rebuilt.

/edit, just spotted you sorted the injectors, what did you give for them please? (so I can price mine to sell them)

AGU - I will have S3 injectors for sale soon from my APY, I will also have a broken K04, I dont know how badly until my mechanic gets started on my Hybrid upgrade, but it may be worth getting rebuilt.

/edit, just spotted you sorted the injectors, what did you give for them please? (so I can price mine to sell them)

PM Sent..........

Let me no about the k04 as i might be interested. Cheers Sy