Failed MOT

jdas03

Reaction score
Hi had my 2001 S3 MOT today!
Unfortunately it failed on Anti Roll Bar bushes being completely shot!
I need to replace these, after googling i'm really confused about what i need to get.

I have several options, looking for the most cost effective.

Either replace the bushed with poly ones, or buy a complete poly bush kit if its not too much more!
I so which sizes or kit do i need to go for? theres so many different sized arb bushes...

Or alternatively i have been looking at upgrading anti roll bars which come with bushes.
R32 bars are an option, is it worth going for the bar upgrade with standard bushes? I have thought about doing this for a while!

Any help would be fantastic! As an aside I have a poly dog bone mount fitted today, and i am fitting coilovers soon if that makes any difference to the advice...

Cheers

Full poly bush kit is around £250, Alot of work involved really.
You will need 14mm bushes for the rear, about 35 quid for powerflex, 15 quid for cheap poly, and easy to do.
If you have the money, I'd take the opportunity to upgrade to an r32 bar with poly bushes, they are 19mm. And a very good upgrade according to some lads on here. again, not too difficult a job
To add, your front bar is 19mm standard. A bit more of a pain to change bushes. A lot of work to change the bar.
Imo, have standard front, r32 rear, poly them both.

Last edited:
A said if you the time and/or money I would go with the R32 option. I have one sitting in my garage waiting for me to fit (havent had a chance yet with work, will do it tomorrow though!) and I bought some cheap poly bushes for about £14 on ebay for it. Or you can get some cheap poly bushes for you existing one as you can get them in all sizes.

Ok seems to me r32 rear bar with poly bush and keep standard front bar and poly that.
With the front bar being older is there any problems with that? Also the r32 rear bar is 19mm also? Did it massively affect the balance of car with the same size bars front and back?
I know the best place to get the parts is vw, last time I went in there they wouldn't sell me the part without a reg no. Or chassis no. Is there a better place to pick the bar up?

Cheers for all the help :)

I fitted my R32 rear ARB with poly bushes last night. Only been for a 20 min drive in the pouring rain but car feels much more solid, body roll is a greatly reduced. I'm very impressed so far. Would like to try it in the dry though. I have a 1.9Tdi Quattro by the way. And I got mine off of Ebay.