Help Needed - Cant Full Throttle !!

mo_s3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Have an issue, its a S3 210 mapped to 240 by the way.
The car seems fine driving normally, however when I put my foot down, the car pauses under full acceleration and wont rev higher than 3-4k. I then have to lift my right foot slightly to release the pressure for the car to start moving again.
It almost feels like the cars faster when I press the gas about 20% than putting my foot down all the way. The whooshing noise that comes from what I always thought was the aftermarket intake is loudest when the car stops accelerating around 3-4k.
All of this starts in 3rd gear, and gets more apparent in 4th,5th, and especially 6th.
Sorry to go on, but would anybody know what causing this, and what I have to do to get it sorted,
Cheers

You need to get it VAGCOM'd mate, my initial thoughts are a faulty MAF sensor, but with the age of these cars, it could be a number of things like a vacuum leak or faulty DV, they are all linked!

Try disconnecting the MAF sensor - it's the plug right after the airbox - and have a drive to see if it make any difference, it will be down on power, but hopefully will rev smoothly through the rev range.

ok nice one mate, il do that now and let you know what happens,

You need to get it VAGCOM'd mate, my initial thoughts are a faulty MAF sensor, but with the age of these cars, it could be a number of things like a vacuum leak or faulty DV, they are all linked!

Try disconnecting the MAF sensor - it's the plug right after the airbox - and have a drive to see if it make any difference, it will be down on power, but hopefully will rev smoothly through the rev range.

Hi mate, got some free time today so disconnected the MAF, and the problems gone!!
However it does feel more powerful than before, does that mean i need to get myself a new MAF..

(Thanks for your help by the way, its been driving me crazy for the last 6 months).

Yup. Make sure its a genuine bosch maf aswell.

Sounds more like a boost leak to me? (Wooshing noise etc...)

Pressure test it before spending money on a MAF.

When you have the bonnet up, can you hear any hissing, or have you done a check for any visual splits or leaks of piping?

It does sound like the MAF is the issue, but it could be one of many things...

Did you get the car on VAGCOM?

No hissing, and looked all over for splits in the pipes, not found anything yet,

not had a chance to VAG it, but iv been driving around without the maf plugged in lol

is it normal for it to feel alot more powerful without it plugged in??
or have i been deprived of all the power all along.

Well the power loss could point to the Maf. I increased by 20g/s with a new Maf. Needs a scan though. Take note of the codes, clear them, take it for a drive. See what it brings up. Note that you will have one from unplugging the Maf anyway

alright lads,i seem to be having probs ov this type as well!! 1st 2nd and 3rd gear the car pulls like a train and if i keep on the throttle it keeps going but when in higher gears at low revs when the boost comes in it seems to hesitate like real bad turbo lag and surges b4 it comes on song?also seems to be making a lot more noise on boost...makes me think split boost pipe or vacuum off somewhere but it boosts to well when it pulls through it?? any ideas or any1 had this problem b4? cheers
bez