Think My Turbo gave up :(

Inertiauk

Reaction score
Website
www.yourlocalcomputerguy.co.uk
My S3 started to make an awefull screaching noise today and I have no boost at all.
Had to limp it home.

I'm guessing turbo, sounds the same as when my turbo went on my old subaru.
where's best to buy a replacement ? eBay lists them for £300 to £400 brand new (K04-022) but they don't mention a make or anything, are they any good ? i'm dubious!
Can I buy a Hybrid turbo to replace mine ? if so where from ?

Backdraft motorsport do hybrid turbo's at a reasonable price and so do Turbo Dynamics. the cheap ones off Egay are better off being weighed in for scrap, there just cheap Chinese copys. Truth is - You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
nope it can be less,
F23 is what i am running on danes.. 240g/s of airflows from it so far.
still remapping it.
all new unit, not exchange.

^^^

Hes the man to speak to....!! lol

So that F23 is just shy off £700 delivered if my maths are correct.

Bill, did Dane have to pay any Import and handling fee's on top of that?

this thread is interesting mine has given up too today!

Lots of questions ....

So If I order This, I already have a badger5 3" TIP, will this fit ok ?

I have a Forge terracotta pipe, do I need the 'Up-Pipe adapter' ?

Hybrid K04 turbocharger for TT225 & S3 transversal 1.8T

I think I will get a 007p for the DV, any other bits I need from them? Would the tubular Manifold be worth getting ? and can it be fitted without removing the engine ?

Do I need Injectors to keep up with it? If so where should I buy them from?

Thanks.

Lots of questions ....

So If I order This, I already have a badger5 3" TIP, will this fit ok ?

I have a Forge terracotta pipe, do I need the 'Up-Pipe adapter' ?

Hybrid K04 turbocharger for TT225 & S3 transversal 1.8T

I think I will get a 007p for the DV, any other bits I need from them? Would the tubular Manifold be worth getting ? and can it be fitted without removing the engine ?

Do I need Injectors to keep up with it? If so where should I buy them from?

Thanks.

It is a ko4 externally i believe so everything should fit the same..
550cc injectors..
tubular manifold is well worth getting..

the up pipe adapter iirc is for the k03 turbo to allow the f23 to fit which you wont need.
as this kit will fit the k03 or k04 turbo just the up pipe adapter is all that is needed for the k03.
its what i got told by franken.

So that F23 is just shy off £700 delivered if my maths are correct.

Bill, did Dane have to pay any Import and handling fee's on top of that?

yes. I ordered it.. It arrives, you pay duty, handling fee's and vat and they give yoiu the goods

so expect 3% duty, £15 handling/clearance fee, and 20% vat on top, allowing for exchange rate etc... And don't forget there is shipping costs also

Gents........... Slappy will confirm, but the current F23 does not have EGT sensor location... so if yours has this, the current F23 wont work without mods (mods see danes thread on what I did)
He is on the case re this however, but I dont know if that means its available as yet

so in all add £100 to the price to cover the rest?

Your talking 70-100quid just on shipping.

the $1100 converts to just under 700quid atm, so your VAT and duty will be ~£150 plus the couriers fee on top.

Wont have much change from a grand.

Don't want to run afoul of the mods here, but...

Budget ~850 including VAT and shipping. For the turbo all by itself the courier costs are only about 65-70 pounds. (You guys are a lot closer to me here than folks in the western usa.) 20% VAT would be 122quid.

Karl, I have been battling this in my head for the past few days, its not really an expense I can afford, but I think its going to have to happen so it doesn't all end in tears.
My local mechanic : motion Lees Garage - worth writing home about!! - uk-mkivs tells me its just common knowledge that the internals are good for up to 350bhp. but I don't want to risk it. He is really good at his job and knows his stuff, my bank balance wants to take his word and save a big chunk, but I don't fancy the gamble. I'm just going to have to work extra hard myself to earn the cost. It will mean the car stays off the road a few more weeks too, at least it will feel even quicker seeing as i'm driving my girlfriends 1.0 12v Corsa around.

The opinion I get from reading this board is its not if they will fail, but when.

Dave: Genesis 550cc injectors | Shop VAG 1.8T | Backdraft Motorsport

Your a wise man. The way i look at it is, I don't know your mileage but, what engine that's as old as ours, with as high mileage as they commonly do, wouldn't benefit from a rebuild with some fresh hardware?! It will keep her ticking a lot longer = more smiles on your face :)

Is that turbo available as an exchange?