JMB RetrofitsSky Insurance
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246

    Other serviceable parts???

    hello there.

    Since I have had my a3 all money spent on it has gone towards getting the engine running sweet.

    In the last 2 months it's had...

    New coil packs( free of charge from Audi )

    Cambelt/tensioner/waterpump.

    Oil/filter change and new dipstick tube.

    Forge 007p.

    Pipercross panel filter.

    Remap.

    Bosch maf sensor.

    Bosch Super 4 spark plugs.

    And the Oil catch can mod with deleted n249/secondary air intake and the egr valve deleted.

    Only thing not done is the fuel filter and the Haldex oil but will be done in the next week.

    Anyway I just want to know what other sensors/parts on the engine could be cleaned or replaced as I am not sure if there is anymore more I can do servicing wise on these engines. Is there any other parts that could be replaced... parts that fail but do not show on vagcom etc.

    Have I missed anything?

    I just want it running optimal as can be before I go spending money on coilovers/arb's/wheels/spacers/exhaust.

    Cheers dude/ettes.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    SiGainey's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    475
    Considered doing the oxygen sensors?
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

  4. #3
    gez
    S3 hunter

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    101
    Replace cabin filter, check fuses ontop of battery for corrosion. Check/replace oil breather pipes under inlet manifold. Gearbox oil, rear diff oil. Clean engine oil pick up

  5. #4
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGainey View Post
    Considered doing the oxygen sensors?
    No mate, would these this throw a fault code up in vagcom? What would happen if this was faulty?
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  6. #5
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by gez View Post
    Replace cabin filter, check fuses ontop of battery for corrosion. Check/replace oil breather pipes under inlet manifold. Gearbox oil, rear diff oil. Clean engine oil pick up
    Ok will look into replacing the cabin filter... what does it do? I'll check fuses. Oil breather pipes under the inlet manifold are gone as had the Oil catch can mod done so thats ok. Gearbox oil could do with being changed yeah along with Haldex oil.

    And yeah I need to do the oil pick up pipe as my car sounds like a diesel when I first start it and is also a bit tappy for a short time after being started... this is on the todo list as with what happens when I start it is caused by a dodgy pick up pipe so I have read.

    Cheers.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  7. #6
    SiGainey's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewt. View Post
    And yeah I need to do the oil pick up pipe as my car sounds like a diesel when I first start it and is also a bit tappy for a short time after being started... this is on the todo list as with what happens when I start it is caused by a dodgy pick up pipe so I have read.

    Cheers.
    This could be the cam chain tensioner - does it sound ok if you start it when the engine is hot (i.e. 30 seconds after shutting it of)
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

  8. #7
    SiGainey's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewt. View Post
    No mate, would these this throw a fault code up in vagcom? What would happen if this was faulty?
    Not always fella - MPG worsening... The manufacturers say they last 60k miles....
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

  9. #8
    TDIQ's Avatar
    8L > 8P > 8V

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    777
    Are you changing the Haldex filter as well as the oil? Sounds obvious but some people only do it every other change.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

    8L IS DE BEST

  10. #9
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGainey View Post
    This could be the cam chain tensioner - does it sound ok if you start it when the engine is hot (i.e. 30 seconds after shutting it of)
    I doubt it the tensioner mate (hope not anyway) as it was all changed less than 1k miles ago with the cambelt and waterpump. Not tried listening to it after a hot engine... shall do that and see if it sounds any different.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGainey View Post
    Not always fella - MPG worsening... The manufacturers say they last 60k miles....
    My mpg is better now I have no boost leaks... Currently getting around 27mpg when driving normal so?

    Just brought a cabin filter along with a new clutch switch... hoping the over revving goes away once fitted.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  12. #11
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Aar0n View Post
    Are you changing the Haldex filter as well as the oil? Sounds obvious but some people only do it every other change.
    Yup haldex filter will be done too
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  13. #12
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Changed clutch switch, and the over revving seems a lot better now, don't make that bruuuum noise while changing gear only took it for a quick blast up the bypass and back.

    Car still sounds like a diesel when started hot though.

    I read somewhere that this could be a blocked pickup pipe starving the engine of oil when started for a second or so, also with it being a bit tappy for a minute or so gets me thinking the pickup pipe is probably half blocked with crap and bits of plastic from the broken oil dip stick tube and so going to get it sorted asap... Need a new sump though as teh thread on the sump plug is knackered so it drips oil... More expense arghhhhh lol
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  14. #13
    SiGainey's Avatar
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    North Wales
    Posts
    475
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewt. View Post
    I doubt it the tensioner mate (hope not anyway) as it was all changed less than 1k miles ago with the cambelt and waterpump. Not tried listening to it after a hot engine... shall do that and see if it sounds any different.
    You changed the chain tensioner when you did the timing belt? Are you sure? I'd imagine the belt tensioner be changed but the chain tensioner is a different noise. If e noise is there with a hot start, it's likely the oil pickup as you say
    '01 AMK, completely standard except for the Ambient Lighting Pack.

  15. #14
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGainey View Post
    You changed the chain tensioner when you did the timing belt? Are you sure? I'd imagine the belt tensioner be changed but the chain tensioner is a different noise. If e noise is there with a hot start, it's likely the oil pickup as you say
    Ooops my bad, I thought you said belt tensioner when I first read it. No then lol the cam chain tensioner was not replaced.

    Yeah the pickup pipe needs to be done anyway just for good measure, read storys of engines breaking due to blocked pickup pipes and I don't want that. If the diesel sound is still there after pickup pipes been changed then I will have to try and come to a meet or something and see if my car sounds the same as others on startup.

    Got quoted £122 for Haldex oil and filter change today, seems a bit steep, i'll have to ring round a few other places.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  16. #15
    TDIQ's Avatar
    8L > 8P > 8V

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    777
    Buy the oil and filter for £45 odd and the tool for £25 and do it yourself if you have axle stands or ramps. You also need a sealant gun and a length of tube to put the new oil in. Still a saving and you could sell the tool on afterwards...
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

    8L IS DE BEST

  17. #16
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Quote Originally Posted by Aar0n View Post
    Buy the oil and filter for £45 odd and the tool for £25 and do it yourself if you have axle stands or ramps. You also need a sealant gun and a length of tube to put the new oil in. Still a saving and you could sell the tool on afterwards...
    Yeah cheers mate, I have brought the Haldex filter and oil... just waiting for the spanner to turn up now :L

    Just to add as well the clutch switch don't seem to have made much of a difference at all after driving round for a few days
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

  18. #17
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Warwickshire.
    Posts
    246
    Where does the cabin filter go peeps? I have no manual so I don't know where it is on the car?

    Cheers.
    A3 quattro Sport


    Forge 007p Pipercross panel filter R-Tech stage one map (213BHP)
    Oil catch can mod, SIA delete, EGR valve delete. Forge EGR delete plate.

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO