20 valve or 5 valve

Rob W8

Reaction score
Website
www.w8performance.co.uk
This might be a really stupid question to ask, but why does my engine cover have 5 valve on it and my mates ibiza cupra have 20 valve on it when they are supposed to be the same engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

I have my hands over my head preparing for the onslaught of abuse... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Could someone please enlighten me with an explanation? Have I got the wrong engine cover or is it really true?

Mine is a 1.8T Quattro 180bhp. His is also a 1.8T now revo'd to 212bhp.

Cheers

Rob

Now I can put an end to the mocking. All I have to do is chip it now so he can get a good look at the badges on the bumper round the roundabouts and up the sliproads! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/froggie_red.gif

Feel a little silly, but will sleep soundly now I know what it means.

Cheers Jojo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jump.gif

i have 5 valve on mine. but mine is a 1.8 t. is mine a 5 valve?

Its a 20v engine, with 5 valves per cylinder. Some call it 5v (audi, VW) and some call it 20v (Seat)... Its exactly the same thing, just different way of saying it!

Rich

It would be very interesting how they would manage to get 5 valves to 4 cylinders.

5 valves / 4 cylinders = 1.25 valves/cyl

Now thats what i call german engineering. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It's amazing what you can learn. I just about managed to get the key in the hole must days. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Also the fiat coupe 20v Turbo and non turbos

[/ QUOTE ]

Had a 20vTurbo plus before the S3, lovely engine and the rest was surprisingly well built for something italian.

A

Those coupes are staggeringly quick my mate has one and has done 160 in it....obviously he has done a few mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Those coupes are staggeringly quick my mate has one and has done 160 in it....obviously he has done a few mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine was far from standard too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

..would tear the S3 a new one past 80 I'm sad to say - gearing on those things is perfect for the 50-120 push.

0-100 is ~14.5seconds standard.

A

I had a scary moment in one of those through some country lanes. I was only out in it to listen to a professional stero install in it and the looney took me for a flat out run through some lanes. Was really quick and very scary.

Yeah they are scarey to be in when the wrong drivers behind the wheel....my mate has stacked his enough times and blown the engine loads of times then rebuilds it.....so i have only been in the car a couple of times with him...i value my life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This might be a really stupid question to ask, but why does my engine cover have 5 valve on it and my mates ibiza cupra have 20 valve on it when they are supposed to be the same engine? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's easy to answer...

VAG figure that your average Audi owner can understand that the car has 5 valves per cylinder and 4 cylinders...and do the maths and correctly come up with 20.

SEAT owners are a different breed. They need telling the answer is 20! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bravo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah sounds it i wish i was loaded too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a case of being loaded...more a case of working out how important it is...and what you can afford to give up / do without in order to obtain one.

I'm an ordinary working bloke, just like the rest...
I just have more items on the 'sacrafice' list than most...and a 911 in the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'm an ordinary working bloke, just like the rest...
I just have more items on the 'sacrafice' list than most...and a 911 in the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah fair enough point taken but i still dont think if i sacrificed everything i could still afford one.....must push for that payrise! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

you could allways sacrafice your house and get a caravan cj! hehe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

And have a fiat multipla to tow your mobile home and trailer with 911 on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif