Tightening and loosening a hand brake cable.. How to please

Andrew@A.L.D

May add NOS to 600+bhp S3.
Reaction score
Website
www.aldevelopments.com
When i did the rear disc conversion i had to space the rear calipers out to fit the 330mm rear discs but as i did that its tightened the hand brake cable and i get the rear brakes binding just a tad.

How do i loosen the cable?

Remove the rear ashtray, the one behind the handbrake itself. Under there you will find 2 hex bolts attaching the cables to a Y connector with a rod going to the handbrake. If you need to adjust both calipers the same amount then just undo the rod bolt in the centre as this will realease equal tension, do this with the handbrake off, obviously don't do it on a hill :nyah:. If you need to adjust one more than the other then undo the appropiate hex bolt on the relevant cable , left or right. ( this only normally needs to be done if you have a brake bias for the handbrake come up in the MOT)

I had to adjust the handbrake cable for my 308mm rear conversion, don't remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure you have to adjust the cables from under the car, then re-adjust from inside the car.

Are the levers returning back to their rest position on the calipers??

Ah, well i made a thread a while ago with Sharan helper springs, to assist the levers going back.. May save you the cost of a caliper.

I had the same problem when i fitted the ECS R1 kit on my TT.
The problem on mine was that the cable didn't have enough slack so i had to cut part of the outer skin on them where the cable goes through the trailing arm to feed the cable through.
If you cat the outer skin be carefull not to cat into the inner skin otherwise water will go into it and rust solid the cables.
Hope it helps.