thinking of upgrading to 16mm 4motion golf rear ARB??

danger S3

Reaction score
hey peeps,

I have a Y reg AMK S3 and atm it has the standard rear ARB which according to the callipers is 15mm. I'm not wanting to go as high as a 19mm one as I have standard shocks and springs (dunno how old they are) and i don't want them to explode if the ARB unloads while cornering quickly, so I was thinking about upgrading to a 16mm one off a 4motion golf as I read somewhere that's an option.

I'm basically wanting to check that the 4motion golf 16mm ARB will fit onto my car?

also I take it I need to replace the drop links, brackets and bushes with ones for that bar as well?

and how does it work with the bigger brackets for the bushes? do the holes just line up or does it need some creative adapting?

or is it not worth it and should i just replace it with the standard one that's on it?

i've had a look and I think the part numbers are:

1J0 511 409 J - 16mm ARB
1J0 505 466 C - connecting link
N104 281 01 - hex bolts
N102 861 02 - link to arb nut
N010 236 6 - hex bolts mount bracket
8A0 511 439 - arb bracket
8D0 511 327 C - Rear Anti Roll Bar Bushes 16mm

does that shopping list sound about right?

so thoughts and suggestions on a postcard to ....... well me ;)

cheers muchly

Ali

tbh its seems a pointless upgrade... a full R32 setup is a good/cheap upgrade if you are going to do it at all...

<tuffty/>

£180 from vw for bar and bushes R32

I did this, my rear one was knackered. Just need bushes and the bar itself. Nothing else. ARB is about £45 and bushes about a fiver each from VW.

ARB - 1J0511409J
bush - 1J0511327B - the 8D0 bushes don't fit, I got them first and had to return them, ETKA is wrong on those as I found out.

Made a nice difference to my car, reduced understeer and I am very pleased I did it.

£180 from vw for bar and bushes R32

R32 bar is £108.86 inc vat and bushes are £3.95 inc vat each. So dunno where £180 comes from :p

Even if you include drop links it only comes to £159quid inc vat.

Not wanting to hijack this thread but I need to replace my front anti-roll bar. When I had my LCR I fitted an R32 front bar and it made so much more difference but is this principal different on the S3? Whats peoples thought on this? What have you found to be the best combination? Not really wanting to fork out on Neuspeed ones at £200 each! lol