Boost gauge location/fitting examples please.

Steveo_A3_1.8t

Reaction score
Hi all,
Want to fit a boost gauge and was hoping for some inspiration for all people that have done it. So if any of you have pictures of where and what gauges you have fitted, I would be grateful if you shared them with me

Cheers

Have a search mate... there are loads of threads on these and a couple in the stickies too...

<tuffty/>

Yeah I did have a loom mate only a quick look admittidly, but just kept finding A pillar mounted pods and vent mounted gauges, just wondered if anyone puts them anywhere else.

I shall have a proper look now.

Not many places left tbh... I have seen them mounted on the dash on a screw on mount, a steering column top trim thingy for a Mk4 Golf that takes 1 or 2 gauges and one of the guys here (nice Russian chap doing a BT conversion) mounted his in a 3 gauge centre vent pod thingy...

Most peeps use a pillar pod or drivers vent adaptor..

<tuffty/>

you could allways make a plate and put the pod in that.

im not sure if your interior is the same as mine i looked at putting it under neath the heater contols should have a small gap with a open close lid which can use for storage basically make a plate and mout the guage behind the lid and that way no one can see the guage and all you have to do is press the lid a there is the guage.

26032011045.jpg

hope this helps if you can see on the pic where a white cable is coming out that is the storage part in on about the lid opens and closes so could be a good stelth place to put the gauge

hope this helps if you can see on the pic where a white cable is coming out that is the storage part in on about the lid opens and closes so could be a good stelth place to put the gauge

Cheers lads, like the idea of having out of sight, but at the same time it's got to be in eyeshot within reason, I like the idea of it going in the little flappy storage compartment below the heater controls, bit don't like the idea of looking that low everytime I check the boost.

I shall keep thinking, one thing I don't wanna do is have a A pillar pod.

I had mine fitted in the vent for a while...
20090831_IMG_6382.jpg

It was a crap gauge and not very readable sadly... I did try my Stack one in there for a bit but was just not fantastic... the pillar pod modding and Stack gauge OEM look looks pretty good and not at all intrusive of chavvy imo... OEM+

<tuffty/>

Reactions: MIGGZ
Anyone had experience of the 42 draft pods for mk4 golfs? I thought about trying one of them, ive heard they will require a slight mod to fit. Would go good in mine as my A pillars are grey, not the normal dark blueish

When you said mounted in the vent I didn't realise you ment acctually behind the slats of the vent lol, very cool but like you say difficult to see I would imagine.

Anyone have pics of a drivers side vent mounted gauge?? Ta

I had mine fitted in the vent for a while...
20090831_IMG_6382.jpg

It was a crap gauge and not very readable sadly... I did try my Stack one in there for a bit but was just not fantastic... the pillar pod modding and Stack gauge OEM look looks pretty good and not at all intrusive of chavvy imo... OEM+

<tuffty/>

This is really clever, I didn't fancy having one on display but this is an option...

But obv flawed by its lack of visibility hence Tufty changed to A pillar pod

Gaugesfitted.jpg

This is where mine are. boost gauge at the top... AFR guage in the vent pod
This was a trial fitting , all conected and correctly fitted now

s3 paul where did u get the pillar pod from looks nice and subtle :)

I bought it on here...
I think it was made by somebody like s3 kev?
No idea to be fair as he sold it to the member i then bought it from.
Its a universal pillar pod cut and shaped the fibre glassed on and then the whole pillar was trimmed using cloth from a scrap S3 roof lining...

I got a NewSouth Performance Gauge and drivers side vent housing.

This is what mine looks like fella

be3c8f06.jpg

0351b857.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture quality lol!

Peace!

Dibdub1

Dibdub I like it, cost? Hard to do ect? I am a novice lol?

Cheers, sean

Lol cheers buddy :)

I got the gauge and mount from here

AUDI VW Accessories & Styling , Worldwide Mailorder

So altogether around £110-120 delivered

With regards to fitting, I'd say the hardest part is routing the vac pipe for the boost gauge through the air vent ducting, through the bulkhead and into the engine bay.

I routed mine just next to the ECU box or through (can't remember exactly which one) and had to drill a small hole through the air con ducting and then just feed it through.

Then just had to pry out the original air vent obviously, dismantle it to remove the slats and put it back together again and the pod just goes in the front of it :)

The gauge looks brighter in the pictures than it is in real life, the red is a closer match to the clocks than it appears. It also has a button on the back of the gauge so you can cycle through all shades of every colour so blue, green, white, red, yellow, orange, purple etc!

Sorry for hijacking thread OP, hope you find some of this info useful!

Cheers,

Dibdub1

Tufftys looks like the best option to me... Its how I will be going but am trying to get hold of the trim fabric a la original a pillar.

Boost gauges are a must IMO on all turbocharged cars!

However there is NOTHING worse than seeing an A pillar with about 3 pods on it!

Im just trying to source the dark grey cloth before I commit to buying a gauge!

Dan

Tufftys looks like the best option to me... Its how I will be going but am trying to get hold of the trim fabric a la original a pillar.

Boost gauges are a must IMO on all turbocharged cars!

However there is NOTHING worse than seeing an A pillar with about 3 pods on it!

Scrap yard and get a roof lining to trim with!

F*ck that matey, im far too posh to go rummaging round scrap yards! those days are long gone!

Hi tuffty , just brought a stack gauge and want the pod that you have . Where abouts did you get it from?

Many thanks

eBay... 52mm pillar pod is what you need to search for... and I modded it to fit... some pics are in my build thread...

<tuffty/>

In the drivers vent with the adapter is a winner imo , but gotta admit that you guys that have spent a little extra time on the pillar pods and matched them in with the liner look the nutts to !

After seeing future installing his boost gauge at the weekend i now have the urge to fit one too so have been having a looksie on the net and have come across this Zada Tech

this is the ebay listing ZADA TECH Audi TT A3 A4 A6 Turbo Boost Digital Red LCD Car Gauge - OEM Looking | eBay

Looks like they are local to me too as the listing for them on ebay says southampton and i like the idea of using the space on my dash which just displays the time to do other stuff and means i can keep all my vents for keeping my ventalated.

So has anyone got any experience of them either good or bad?

After seeing future installing his boost gauge at the weekend i now have the urge to fit one too so have been having a looksie on the net and have come across this Zada Tech

this is the ebay listing ZADA TECH Audi TT A3 A4 A6 Turbo Boost Digital Red LCD Car Gauge - OEM Looking | eBay

Looks like they are local to me too as the listing for them on ebay says southampton and i like the idea of using the space on my dash which just displays the time to do other stuff and means i can keep all my vents for keeping my ventalated.

Look's pretty good ! i take it that it plugs into the obdII port . think i could be presueded to buy one of these.

there was a huge thread on these a while back, try searching for it. i cant remember the name of it though so it wont really help much :/

there was a huge thread on these a while back, try searching for it. i cant remember the name of it though so it wont really help much :/

Can you remember if it was rated good or bad?

Just sent them an email to see if they can tell me how it works and also if they are local to me if i can have a look at one fitted etc so will see what they come back with.

Last edited:
guy from Zada Tech just emailed me back and said

The gauge gets the data from an external sensor, which we supply also. It will need to go on the vacuum line with a t-piece.

So looks like it leaves your OBD port free.

He also said he has one fitted to his MK4 golf so i can have a look at his to see what its like so am seeing if he wants to come along to our south central mini meet at Beaulieu on the 19th of this month.

I think i remember the thread now , think it works out pretty expensive with all the bits need for full functions. :sadlike: