S3 Front mount. what dimensions can i go to?

Luke S3

Reaction score
as the title says really i am looking to buy a universal intercooler from ebay and a pipe kit and make it fit, but just wondering what the biggest size i can go to is so that i can keep my front bumper as it is and keep my fog lights too. any help is appreciated.

My AH Fabs FMIC..
20110408_IMAG0672.jpg

<tuffty/>

Westy is that the exact one you have? Have you noticed a difference in the car since fitting it too?

And tuffty how much did your one set you back and was it a custom made one?

Just looked through your diary pics were on page 9 lol. How come you kept the drivers side standard intercooler? Does it just make it easier with the pipework or is that the better way to do it? What power is stage 2? And have you got an exhaust or anything already?

...And tuffty how much did your one set you back and was it a custom made one?

I have no price as yet as I have been developing it with AH Fabs... Alex is making another one for a customers car he has in at the moment (Dane on this forum) and will be pricing them up then... the plan is that AH will be selling these as S3 FMIC's once sorted..

<tuffty/>

Just looked through your diary pics were on page 9 lol. How come you kept the drivers side standard intercooler? Does it just make it easier with the pipework or is that the better way to do it? What power is stage 2? And have you got an exhaust or anything already?

because I used such a small core in comparison to most, I decided to keep the drivers smic to aid cooling. This has caused problems instead though as I found out on Badger 5's rollers on Friday. There is a 7PSI pressure drop across the intercoolers most likely due to the air being crammed down the charge pipe through the smic, into another pipe, then through the fmic before entering the TB. Therefore the smic is getting ripped out this week ;)

For stage 2 you need a 3"DP de-cat/sports cat, FMIC, and Induction kit. It was 270bhp on about 21PSI

Interesting westy, whats the pressure drop on a standard system then? i thought it would throw a code if it deviated to much...

Not too sure mate. S3 Baby's pressure drop was between 4-7psi on his ebay FMIC which could be down to his poor core. Welly's on the other hand only has half a psi pressure drop across his FMIC!

With the pressure drop the ECU requests more boost from the turbo and ends up wearing the turbo out quicker as its running flat out. Unfortunately I dont think it's easy to measure the pressure drop without the right equipment. I'll rip my SMIC out and see if the car feels any different but I wont know for sure until I next visit Bill's.

Is it converted into lag then, as mine seems fine?

I didn't notice any real difference with driving it but Bill plumbed in 1 feed off the charge pipe silicone hose that goes to the N75 valve to read boost before the FMIC then a 2nd feed from the FPR to read boost pressure after the FMIC. I had a drop of 7PSI!

The problem with this is I belive the map sensor reads that the boost pressure is not as high as requested so it requests more putting more load on the turbo. I'm sure Bill, Tuffty, Welly etc can clear it up for us.

Anyway the smaller the drop the better.