Tell me about quattro's

Ian_83

Reaction score
As i've said in the past, my A3 was a short term replacement for my old 200sx. However, its really grown on me, I've bought some bits to put on it, but I'm refraining. Because its FWD, i dont see the point in ~230bhp when I can't even get it to the ground. So im thinking, upgrade it for a 1.8 T sport quattro. Is this a bad move? The way I see it, it already has the K03S on, so mine now becomes a nice spare, plus it'll be a newer car so cleaner then my 14 year old one. I know some people will say "get an S3". By the time I buy the car and mod it, it'll still be ~£2000 less then an S3 really as quicker then a stock one. So opinions, good and bad please.

Are you saying you'll keep both A3s? If that's the case then selling them both and getting an S3 would be a better option I think. You'll want that mapped in the end probably anyway!

honestly, I wouldn't bother with the TQ, as much as this is going to annoy people, it's a really pointless car. (sorry TQs boys!)

It's got all the weight of the S3, but none of the power. You don't get the bigger brakes, you don't get the quick rack, the cast wishbones, the hubs correcting roll centre, you lose all the stuff that makes the S3 worth while.

the S3 in standard 210/225 form is pretty slow, a quattro with a ko3S mapped to 225bhp will be quicker than the S3, due to the higher torque, but still nowhere near as quick as a FWD ko3S car due to the extra weight (200kg) of the quattro system. It also won't handle anywhere near as well, due to the lack of Hubs/rack/wishbones/brakes

If you're going to take the hit on the weight of the quattro, then you really need the ko4 turbo to go with it! S3's can be picked up from £4k now, and it really is a lot of car for the money.

That said, I also don't understand the stigma that you can't get the power down in a FWD A3, I run two FWD A3's, both with 225-230bhp currently, and I don't have a problem getting the power down at all in either of them. They're also far more interesting to drive than the 4wd counterparts. I'm about to upgrade my FWD track car to around 300bhp, and to be honest, I don't forsee too much trouble in getting that power down either!

Sure, in the wet you're going to struggle in 1st gear, and sometimes second, but anyone who's wanting to go flat out in the pouring rain is foolish anyway, quattros still have the same number of brakes as the rest of us! I'm fairly sure owners forget that.

Given your position now, I'd either modify the FWD A3, or if you want a change, which it sounds like you do, spend the extra and get an S3

If you're going to take the hit on the weight of the quattro, then you really need the ko4 turbo to go with it! S3's can be picked up from £4k now, and it really is a lot of car for the money.

Have you looked on Pistonheads lately Nick? From £3k...albeit, a higher mileage one.

Christ, £3k for an S3? it's nuts!

No brainer really then, you'd have to be mad to buy a TQ unless it was £1500 :S the S3 is worth the extra simply for the Hubs/wishbones/quick rack setup, let alone the added punch from a ko4!

Christ, £3k for an S3? it's nuts!

No brainer really then, you'd have to be mad to buy a TQ unless it was £1500 :S the S3 is worth the extra simply for the Hubs/wishbones/quick rack setup, let alone the added punch from a ko4!

Mad isn't it? I'm going to break mine if they drop to £2.5k, it's got to be worth more in parts for a straight one!

£500 for your wheels (assuming you mean the 99 car)
£500 for the interior
£500 for the whole front sus (subframe, rack, wishbones, struts, hubs, brakes)
£1000 for the engine with ancillaries
£100 for the rear brakes
£80 for the stereo (pre face stereos fetch good money)
£200 for the front bumper
£200 for the rear bumper

Already well over £3k from breaking one there, and you'd still have a full shell!

Sorry, Back on topic now folks

Don't buy a TQ! Buy an S3, or modify the FWD

3k?! Hmm, i was under the impression I was going to be paying 6+! Fair enough, i'll just hunt for an S3 instead and get rid of the A3. Cheers guys.

3k?! Hmm, i was under the impression I was going to be paying 6+! Fair enough, i'll just hunt for an S3 instead and get rid of the A3. Cheers guys.

£6k+ is facelift, MINT condition car, preferably with a few choice mods. Unfortunately, with the price of fuel today, everyone is going diesel or city car to save the pennies.

honestly, I wouldn't bother with the TQ, as much as this is going to annoy people, it's a really pointless car. (sorry TQs boys!)

It's got all the weight of the S3, but none of the power. You don't get the bigger brakes, you don't get the quick rack, the cast wishbones, the hubs correcting roll centre, you lose all the stuff that makes the S3 worth while.

the S3 in standard 210/225 form is pretty slow, a quattro with a ko3S mapped to 225bhp will be quicker than the S3, due to the higher torque, but still nowhere near as quick as a FWD ko3S car due to the extra weight (200kg) of the quattro system. It also won't handle anywhere near as well, due to the lack of Hubs/rack/wishbones/brakes

That said, I also don't understand the stigma that you can't get the power down in a FWD A3, I run two FWD A3's, both with 225-230bhp currently, and I don't have a problem getting the power down at all in either of them. They're also far more interesting to drive than the 4wd counterparts. I'm about to upgrade my FWD track car to around 300bhp, and to be honest, I don't forsee too much trouble in getting that power down either!

Sure, in the wet you're going to struggle in 1st gear, and sometimes second, but anyone who's wanting to go flat out in the pouring rain is foolish anyway, quattros still have the same number of brakes as the rest of us! I'm fairly sure owners forget that.

Given your position now, I'd either modify the FWD A3, or if you want a change, which it sounds like you do, spend the extra and get an S3

i agree with ya nick 1.8tqs is not worth it the s3 is far better although i am h8ing my audi at the mo

i think thats the only good point about the quattro compaired to the s3

The TQ is lighter than the S3. TQ iirc 1280kg versus 1450kg?

1280kg is the kerb weight of the FWD I believe... there is not much if any difference weight wise between the S3 and A3 TQ... haldex/rear subframe being the main culprit...

<tuffty/>

having had a tqs and an s3 - just get the s3 it's worth it for sure

according to wisebuyers guide:

A3 = 1175kg
TQ = 1305kg
S3 = Missing info

tqs is 1428kg on lets torque bhp its one heavy *** car for the lack in power

Mine was purely a financial point of view when i bought it as the S3 was a good couple of grand more expensive than the TQS... the TQS came with all the added extras like the BOSE and leather etc,, in hind site it's been a good thing because with it basically being a detuned S3 it's proved to be absolutly ultra reliable which is what i need in a car as i'm doing an 80 mile round trip each day for work couple that with the four wheel drive when it snows and it's proved to be an exellent car

+1 the past 2 winters have been sweet, 1 in the tqs and 1 in the s3. Standard summer tyres like Eagle F1 Assys and I didnt struggle once - plus its so predictable when the back end goes and so easy to make it do it on purpose - I love it for that.

tqs is 1428kg on lets torque bhp its one heavy *** car for the lack in power

Ok i didn't know its was so heavy, because my license plate papers (how do you call this?) says 1280kg.