Status

Recommended all rounder tyres for a S3?

I plan to change my ditch finder tyres for some better rubber

What have you got and would you recommend them

What price were they
    RIP S3dave/David Marshall stickers now available

FOR SALE
    None resonated Milltek exhaust,
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Hulk Smash!

Status
    Kuhmo ku31's Cheap, Less than £50 per corner.
    Other than that i hear that Falcon 452s?? are pretty good and well priced.
    Last edited by Y83OLK; 3rd July 2011 at 21:44.

XFi
    2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by MrCSW View Post
    Kuhmo ku31's Cheap, Less than £50 per corner.
    Other than that i hear that Falcon 453s?? are pretty good and well priced.
    I'm not sure if I'd trust a tyre that is less than £50 a corner in the S3 size perfect ditch finder price range. The Falken fk452 are a good all rounder certainly.

Audi-sports own special child.

Status
    I went from michellin pilot sports to kumho ecsta's, what i paid for 4 kumhos i couldnt even buy 2 michellins.

Put it this way, ill never buy anything over than kumhos, they are excellent, been running them for 12 months without a single problem, rain, snow, sun, whatever the weather they are excellent.
    Driving the most secretive S3 on ASN

2nd Gear

Status
    I run falken fk452 good in the dry and good in the wet and I get 8000 to 10000 miles out of them.

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I was looking to pay about £100 a corner maybe more if they are really good rubber

FOR SALE
    Adjustable FPR from 1-5 bar, 2 sets of Unused ARP 3/8 2000 rod bolts, relentless 200 cell cat pipe, Std AGU Crankshaft. Ported & Reconditioned Cylinder head service.

8L > 8P > 8V

Status
    Did have Goodyear Eagle F1 Assys on the 1.6, and they were absolutely fantastic in the dry and the wet too. Wore quite quickly but completely useless in the snow. I could barely move the car whilst Focus' and Astras with ditchfinders were fine.

Got Falken ZE912s on the front on the 1.6, and have some Kumho's on the TDIQ that came with it.
    '02 A3 TDI quattro sport

8L IS DE BEST

Howdy

Status
    Andrew, I keep recommending Uniroyal RainSport 2s in every tyre thread but nobody seems to believe me that they rule.
    So, i'll try again here: Buy Uniroyal RainSport 2s, 18s are £88ish (were originally £106 early last year) on Camskill.
    Grip like nothing else in the wet, when you need them most.

FK452s are good (had them on my A4) but the Uniroyals are much, much better. Waaay better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx I replaced with them on the S3, and they were £165 each!
    2001 Audi RS4 2.7 Bi-Turbo - Nogaro Blue

1975 MG Midget 1500 - Tahiti Blue

2003 Audi S3 - Dolphin Grey; SOLD!

needs to scratch the itch

Status
    Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetrics FTW, brilliant tyre IMO superb grip wet and dry, mine lasted about 10k of my normal driving style which is probably 60% driving miss daisy and 40% exploring my local B roads fast lol.

e2a, cost me £90 a corner VAT free.

1st Gear

Status
    +1 for Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetrics , awesome tyre. Did have a set on the front only for a while and my old budget tyres on rear gave me some oversteer in damp conditions
    2009 S3 8P Phantom Black
    MODS : S3 Keyring

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by XFi View Post
    I'm not sure if I'd trust a tyre that is less than £50 a corner in the S3 size perfect ditch finder price range. The Falken fk452 are a good all rounder certainly.
    Not always the case, if you look at the tyre tests theres quite a few "Budget" price tyres that perform better than Top price tyres. I had Kumho ku31's on my Golf Gti and they are very very good in wet and dry.

Hulk Smash!

Status
    So many doubters of the Ku31's lol.
    There even a pretty good looking tyre.

Are we looking at 17" or 18" Andrew?
    Rainsport 2's are very good tyres, there all i used to run on my old corsa, But not the cheapest.

Surely with the spec you are/will be running you'll want some quality rubber though?

Down under

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by JS1500 View Post
    Andrew, I keep recommending Uniroyal RainSport 2s in every tyre thread but nobody seems to believe me that they rule.
    So, i'll try again here: Buy Uniroyal RainSport 2s, 18s are £88ish (were originally £106 early last year) on Camskill.
    Grip like nothing else in the wet, when you need them most.

FK452s are good (had them on my A4) but the Uniroyals are much, much better. Waaay better than the Dunlop Sport Maxx I replaced with them on the S3, and they were £165 each!
    I'd have to agree. I've run these (not on an S3) and they were great. Last a long time too.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    I've got eagle f1's on my 17's at the mo and they are ace, down to the wear marker and they didnt light up once whilst doing drags at gti inters.

I'm going to give 452's a whirl on my new 18's this time and see what I think

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wibble111 View Post
    Good Year Eagle F1 Assymetrics FTW, brilliant tyre IMO superb grip wet and dry, mine lasted about 10k of my normal driving style which is probably 60% driving miss daisy and 40% exploring my local B roads fast lol.

e2a, cost me £90 a corner VAT free.

10K sounds very low milage for a set of tyres i've had a set of Toyo's and a set of budget tyres on mine and both sets have given me 20,000 miles... mainly motorway though i must admit
    1999 A3 Quattro 1.8T Pics >>HERE
    2002 A4 Avant quattro 1.9 TDi

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Tyre size i will need is 225/40/18

FOR SALE

colicabcadam
    round ones

5th Gear

Status
    Michelin Pilot Sport 2s - fantastic. I might try Conti Sport Contacts next time - had these on a previous car and they were superb.

3rd Gear

Status
    Conti Sports contact (2 or 3) are my choice of tyre, they aren't the cheapest, but not the most expensive either, they are a very good balance of longevity and grip, and very low road noise (which I think is the reason why Audi themselves put them on new cars)
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Works 60% the time, Everytime.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    10K sounds very low milage for a set of tyres i've had a set of Toyo's and a set of budget tyres on mine and both sets have given me 20,000 miles... mainly motorway though i must admit
    Budget tyres will give you more miles due to their harder compound rubber.

Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetrics here. Im on 20k miles now and they need a change.

2003 Audi S3 + Go faster bits

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Dude I've done 8k and they need changing lol

3rd Gear

Status
    So Continental sport contacts the way to go?

1st Gear

Status
    Has anyone tried Yokohama Parada spec 2's? I've not run them myself but a friend with a 340 bhp Civic seems to rate them pretty well!
    2003-03 8L S3 Dolphin grey - Porsche 996 calipers - Mo-vit 325mm 2 piece front discs - 15mm spacers all round - Miltek resonated cat back - Genuine RS4's - Vredestein Sessanta's - Forge 007p - Forge TIP - JR cone filter - Poweflex diesel dog bone bush - AMD Remap - Blue Haldex controller - FK AK Coilovers - Seat Leon Cupra R top mounts - 8P S3 gear knob and gaitor - TT pedals - Neuspeed quick shift - LED number plate bulbs

14.2 quarter @ 97 mph

Power? 241 bhp with a boost leak, now fixed

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    Jase (Voorhees) has the Paradas on his and im sure he really likes them, they look real nice too!!

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashley g View Post
    Has anyone tried Yokohama Parada spec 2's? I've not run them myself but a friend with a 340 bhp Civic seems to rate them pretty well!
    great in the dry not so good in the wet

FOR SALE

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Anymore as i plan to buy a set of 4 soon but its a lot of money if i get it wrong

FOR SALE

1st Gear

Status
    Vredestein sessantas I had on my s4,superb tyre in all conditions, not cheap tho!!!

2nd Gear

Status
    I'm using continental contact 3 and find them brilliant! Although contact 2 is rated better. By the market

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    I have looked at them

As you said not cheap

FOR SALE

5th Gear

Status
    I think that aslong as you buy a tyre that you personally know works well and can rely on it, you can't go wrong.

Everyone has different opinions on different tyres. Example, I always used falkens and was told they were a budget tyre. So got some Pirelli rosso's fitted when they were low. I won't use them again as they aren't any better. 'in my opinion'.
    MODS - Custom Code phase 1, 007p DV, various powerflex bushes, EBC grooved and drilled - red stuff pads, N249 deletion. Badger5 V2 80mm TIP. Scorpion backbox + custom centre section, LCR front splitter, Jetex Fr-08001, R32 rear ARB, Forged IE rifle drilled rods, 20mm rear & 15mm front spacers.

TO DO - Coilovers, adjustable tie arms, DP/mani/decat, FMIC and new remap

6th Gear

Status
    I Have ps3's and can't fault them. I don't mind spending that little extra on two things: brakes and tyres. That said if you can get just as good cheaper go for it.
    2000 AMK S3, Revo'd, forge 007p, B8's, H&R's, tarox g88's, ferrodo ds2500's, and in the fastest colour

5th Gear

Status
    Ps3's. End of.

Ming Blue S3, Stage 3 Hybrid Turbo, Custom Map, Bosch 480 injectors, Custom TIP, Forge FMIC, 3" Downpipe, 200 Cell Sport CAT, Full Stainless, XS Power Mani, 6 Paddle Clutch, Red silicone hoses, LCR Brembo's, Forge 007p, KW Suspension Kit, Green filter, THS Mounts, 11mm & 16mm spacers, H&R Anti-roll bars, RS6 18" alloys, Michelin PS3's, Red Dog Bone Mount, Neuspeed quickshift, Boost Gauge, Aero wipers, LCR splitter, Forge Tie-bars, LED bulbs, Armrest, Custom TT pedals.

Neutral

Status
    had a look on camskill there for the rainsport2's which I will buy when renewing my tyres, but for the s3 do we need "XL" or not gents?

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status
    You wont go wrong with most of the tyres mentioned here.

I run Eagle F1 Asymmetric2's and find them pretty awesome.

I've used rainsports before and they are good, but not as good as the Asy2 in the dry.

Hankooks S1 Evo fares well against more expensive contemporaries, and thats where i'd be looking if i wanted budget rubber, rather than the Kumhos or the FK452's

Contis Sport Contact 5P (or 3 if thats not available) is also a good option, as is the Michelin PS3, however i personally believe the Michelins are overpriced, and there ARE better tyres on the market, they most certainly arent "the best" as jim above seems to keep trying to force down everyones throat. Unlike the Conti and the Goodyear, the PS3 has never come first in any group test...

If you want a decent overview of the current market, goto Tyre reviews, tests and ratings | the online tyre guide On the right hand side you'll see a panel called "Summer Tyre Tests", if you click on "All Summer Tyre tests" then go thru the most recent (2011/2012) mag tests (ignoring the ones that focus on Touring tyres ofcourse), you'll notice first off that different mags will have differing opinions of each tyre, but you'll also start to notice the same 3 or 4 tyres appear consistently at the top of the tests.

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

3rd Gear

Status
    I use Falken KF452's and find them excellent for the money.

2nd Gear

Status
    I like my Avons ZZ3s Rears .. and Contis Front
    Cars:

Now: Audi TT Project car but looking for An S3 Project.

Past: Audi A5 3.0 V6 TDI 300BHP 481 lbft

Past: Audi S3 MTM 345BHP

Cylinder Head Master

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by benh999 View Post
    Vredestein sessantas I had on my s4,superb tyre in all conditions, not cheap tho!!!
    Found some that aren't that bad priced

If they work on a S4 then they should be good on a 500+ S3

VREDESTEIN TYRES / CAR / VREDESTEIN ULTRAC SESSANTA - 225/40R18 92Y XL TL 103.50 Car Tyres - MPV Tyres - People Carrier Tyres - 18" R18" - 225/40/18, 225/40 R 18

FOR SALE

5th Gear

Status
    How on earth do you guys rate the falken 452 so high. i had all four done at once and found the grip levels terribleand after 5k the two rears had the biggest tyre buldges ive ever seen. useless tyre. i really cant understand the good reviews on them?? i find toyos very good. the t1r also used the paradaspec 2 which i rate. tyre wear doesnt bother me id be paying for grip!!

Faster than a V12 Q7

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew@A.L.D View Post
    I had these on the rs4 before and towards the end of their life there were some worrying wear characteristics, I wouldnt use them again....

Goodyear F1 assys wore alot better but in 255 35 19 form deathly expensive lol

"Stick a V8 in it!"

Status

2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Avant, Berry Pearl
    2000 A4 1.8T Sport Quattro Saloon, Black-ish
    1997 S4 - PPC £999 Challenge Track Car Build
    TD5 Land Rover Defender build

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast