Brake options

bioharry

Reaction score

1st off i love my S3, tiz my baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif but the brakes are getting to me now. I have lost confidence in them so..

I have spoken to a local tuners and he has told me unless i am tracking my car there is no point in going for a calliper upgrade and a simple disk and pad upgrade will do a world of good. Will this be the answer to my problems? (this has got me thinking i may track my car now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif)

I also described what happens when my brakes fade and he was concerned to say the least. I get a loud roar and the pedal goes hard and i have to either stand on them and they work less and less and get louder and louder or get off them use the gears and use them a couple of seconds later. Is this normal? I got this exact same thing with my old cavalier so i just assumed it was normal?

So the options are:

6/8 pot brake upgrade = £1500
Porsche Upgrade = £1200
Brembo = £900
Disk + pad upgrade = £350

All the above are exc VAT

So what do you guys think.

What’s the best to go for?

What’s wrong with my car (if anything)?

[ QUOTE ]

1st off i love my S3, tiz my baby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif but the brakes are getting to me now. I have lost confidence in them so..

I have spoken to a local tuners and he has told me unless i am tracking my car there is no point in going for a calliper upgrade and a simple disk and pad upgrade will do a world of good. Will this be the answer to my problems? (this has got me thinking i may track my car now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif)

I also described what happens when my brakes fade and he was concerned to say the least. I get a loud roar and the pedal goes hard and i have to either stand on them and they work less and less and get louder and louder or get off them use the gears and use them a couple of seconds later. Is this normal? I got this exact same thing with my old cavalier so i just assumed it was normal?

So the options are:

6/8 pot brake upgrade = £1500
Porsche Upgrade = £1200
Brembo = £900
Disk + pad upgrade = £350

All the above are exc VAT

So what do you guys think.

What’s the best to go for?

What’s wrong with my car (if anything)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the Group Buy section - Rich is doing a special on ECS Tuning brake kits at the moment.

Adam

Silly question, these are the baby's you want! - 6/8 pot brake upgrade = £1500 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif, then you don't have to worry about brake fade. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yes.gif
Saying that, the Brembo GT kit is more than adequate for fast road driving /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

oh and there is nothing wrong with your car the s3's brakes fade quite bad when used hard for a bit. if you have the money then any of the top 3 on your list would be good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

cheers tony

Well, as i'm sure your aware by reading theother threads i've just upgraded to the Brembo ones and all i need to say is WOW /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I know where your at though, i had a similar dilema as i really wanted to get the Porsche ones but couldn't justify the difference in price. I was also concerned that i would be disappointed with the Brembo's and wished that i'd waited and got the Porsche ones. I can assure you that this will not be the case, you'll be more than satisfied with the Brembo's.

Good luck

Ade

I think i am leaning towards the Brembos but would like to have some more input for all solutions!

My local garage has quoted £135inc VAT for fitting the Brembos.

Does this price sound good?

They estimated for 2.5 hours work and this includes brake fluid. Do you know if the kit comes with fluid? Otherwise what would you guys recommend as I dont think they will put the good stuff in it?

sounds like a good price to me matey as audi charge best part of £100 for a brake fluid change! so £50 a hour seems ok to me.

the brembo kits are absolultely fine for road use and light track use with a chipped car ( or standard) - you dont need the porsche kit although they look great and have less fade for track use

i got the movit 342mm kit fitted because kim qst wouldnt fit the mtm big turbo kit without fitting uprated brakes (very sensible chap!)
and they had one in stock

Jesus Dunk, looking at the spec on your car, you won the lottery or wot ? How much did that little lot cost you ? Reads like my wishlist. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Chris.