Engine code info please.

Steveo_A3_1.8t

Reaction score
Now I'm sure this comes up loads, so sorry for making peeps repeat themselves, but how do I tell what engine code my car is?? It's a 2002 1.8t 2wd.

Now, I've been routing around on the net and found this

AGU - A3 - 97-00
AEB - A4 AND A6 - 95-98
APU - A4 AND A6 - 98-00
AWT - A4 AND A6 - 00-02
AJL - A4 AND A6 - 97-00
AJQ - A3 AND TT - 98-00
APP - A3 AND TT - 99-00
AUQ/ARY - A3 AND TT - 00-05
APY - A3 - 98-01
APX - TT - 98-00
AMK - S3 - 02-03
BAM - S3 - 00-05
BEX - A4 - 02-03

Now using this as reference my car is running the AUQ, and after a bit more research found that the AUQ in standard form is 180bhp with K03s turbo.

Is this right?? Any info would be great

Cheers steve.

Look at the sticker in the front of your service book, or the sticker in the spare wheel well. In the pic below, my engine code is BRB. Your code will be in the same position in your book/Spare wheel well sticker

WP_000118.jpg

engine is the easiest as above.. on the left ofthe engine there is a little tab that pokes out, its stamped on that :)

is yours the quattro?

ko3 not ko3s. 150bhp?

i think the Q at the end of AJQ and AUQ is quattro as i have only seen/heard of them in the quattro 180bhp?

Its got a k03s turbo mate. Iv got the same AUM engine. Also theres a good thread about an AUM fmic build that was posted by prawn.

Ok, cheers for that. What cars have the ko3s then?? Also what's the difference between AGU and AUM??

AUG-large ported head,k03 and old wired throttl body. AUM-small port head, k03s and electronic throttle.

AUG-large ported head,k03 and old wired throttl body. AUM-small port head, k03s and electronic throttle.

Was just about to mention that the picture that AGU-TURBO posted had a throttle cable and mine didn't.

Right the next question is, how much power can you get without getting into changing turbos and internals?? My car has been remapped by Total Vag. I bought it with it mapped already, and the previous owner reckoned it was 'around' the 200bhp mark Is this a realistic figure??

Thanks again for all the input.

I think most places quote 196bhp with standard remap with a few things like fmic, 3" downpipe, decat, decent air filter etc your talking 230bhp with your KO3s :icon_thumright:

I think most places quote 196bhp with standard remap with a few things like fmic, 3" downpipe, decat, decent air filter etc your talking 230bhp with your KO3s :icon_thumright:

So he wasn't lying lol.

Sweet I like the sound of 230bhp, time to start searching for bits then