Audi A3 Argument needs to be settled.

SinTS

Reaction score
Website
forum.opelownersclubwc.co.za
Hi Guys

I was wondering if someone here could help me out with something. We have been having a few arguments of late regarding the performance of the Older A3 1.8t.
A frequent racer friend driving one of these has been taking out faster cars using a new spec "Facelifted" A3 1.8t. One of the cars taken out include the new Astra OPC with 147kw rating. The A3 driver insisted his car is stock except for a freeflow exhaust system. Including his boost which is set to 0.65 bar. People have accused him of having a bigger turbo , and from the performance I have seen for myself I dont blame them . He has offered the following explanation. Apparently the facelift version came out with a uprated turbo - Namely a k03 turbo in a k04 housing making it a hybrid. He claims this is a factory standard turbo on this model of car. Try as we might we have not been able to find supporting documentation to prove this . There are no articles on the net that give the specifics details of the turbos used in the older and facelift version. I was hoping you Audi guys would be able to help us settle this dispute , maybe even have some documentation to help prove it

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/soap.gif

The earlier versions of the A3 used a K03.11, the later models used a K03.5x(.52, .51 .etc). THe later turbos use a K03 impeller but the turbine is different. Cars with a K03.5x usually push out closer to 170bhp than the 'standard' 150bhp with similar torque.
0.65 bar is definately standard boost.

Rich