N249 Bypass on a BAM

S3featesV9

Reaction score
is there a thread showing how to do this on a BAM. ive seen one or two but arent for a BAM.

all i need is a 1meter lenght of 4mm ID hose? and a T-piece?

Any help, thanks!

Ill take a pic of mine later. really easy to do. If you follow the tube from the 249 down, it connects underneath the intake manifold. All you are doing is taking a 4mm vac hose from there to the top of the DV. No t-piece required

no SAI, so no need for a T piece.

Just the 4mm ID hose from the inlet manifold to the top of the DV

whats a SAI? not that it matters if i dont have one. just curious.

thanks S1, that will be a great help.

SAI -> Secondary Air Injection

it helps the CAT warm up quicker and improves emmisions on cold starts i think

the black box behind the N249 is the vacuum reservoir, it will be removed when doing the bypass

i see, so after ive done this...all that messy hose setup will be gone? along with the n249 and vacuum reservior?

i can keep it plugged in, and just tidy it away somewhere right?

please ignore the droning voice today. Not feeling the best. Probably something to do with saturday night and having 2 hours sleep in the car.

Incase anyone was wondering, I usually have the pipe neatly routed, but thought it was best to show it loose for this demonstration

Last edited:
thanks for the vid, perfect bit of info. should get this done at the weekend. or whenever the hose arrives.

i take it i need the manifold off so i can get to this underside nipple. have had a quick look and cant see it.

is it advisable to use some spring clips to secure hose on?

Thanks again

you dont need to take the manifold off. Just take the old pipe off, and slide new pipe on. The old pipe has a clip if I remember rightly, which was a bit of a pain, but flat headed screwdriver prevailed.

I havent got mine clipped and it is fine. I believe others on here have also not bothered with clips.

no problem. That said, you should take that black plate off at the front of the manifold so its easier to get to :) two hex bolts, easy.

JUST BE CAREFUL WITH THE DIPSTICK TUBE! Gets very brittle over time and can break. If it does, about a fiver from VAG outlet.

Great thread, I had the same question so I shall be doing some N249 bypassing one evening soon... :icon_thumright:

haha yeah, think mine needs replacing anyway so shall do it whilst the bonnets up :)

Sorry, newbie and all. . . What are the benifits of this mod???
It lessens the possibility of boost leaks on the system as well as the chances of the dv not opening due to faulty valve etc

And one of the other reasons is removes unecessary pipe work so tidy's up the bay and the valve will just function mechanically 

Aaaahhh just done the N249 bypass on my BAM engine and when it dumps boost it seems to flutter and make the car jerk :(

Took me ages getting the silicone pipe nice and neat from the manifold to the DV, and then had to waste more time putting it all back to standard when I realised it hadnt worked as id hoped lol.

Anybody have an explanation as to why it would be doing this?

Think the silicone hose you fitted must of had a block in it as it stopped you DV from working.

Aaaahhh just done the N249 bypass on my BAM engine and when it dumps boost it seems to flutter and make the car jerk :(

Took me ages getting the silicone pipe nice and neat from the manifold to the DV, and then had to waste more time putting it all back to standard when I realised it hadnt worked as id hoped lol.

Anybody have an explanation as to why it would be doing this?

Sounds like the DV is not seeing vacuum... the N249 bypass is stupidly simple on AMK/BAM engine codes... yu litrally run a 4mm ID silicon vacuum pipe from the outlet underneath the inlet manifold (one of the 2 outlets over the alternator) and connect it to the top of the DV... simples..

No check valves etc at all to worry about...

Now... there will always be a little flutter on part throttle when loading up (say going up hill) then letting off.. this is normal... if you get flutter just by revving the engine then you have a problem

<tuffty/>

Yeah theres no doubting that I did it wrong because it is literally so simple on a BAM that I think its impossible to get wrong lol.

And I gave it a little try out by revving the engine before I set off for a test drive and it sounded ok, but then when I took it out it sounded very wrong when dumping. Just wondering if I tightened up one of the cable ties too tightly when routing the pipe :-/

Might have to attempt this again when I have a few spare minutes again.

where did everyone that's done the delete decide to hide the oddly large valve?

is this the same for an agu engine? as i cant seem to find my n249?! :s

Edit: just read that the agu doesnt have a n249 so maybe thats why i cant find it!!??

Last edited:
That sir is damn good. I seem to have missed loads of bits from you thread or my memory is just that bad :think:

Anyway I'll be doing this tonight or tomorrow. What gauge wire did you use?

Maybe you need to spend some time reading it again lol...

Erm... 'some wire' Bill had on the shelf but 5-10amps rated should do it..

<tuffty/>