1.9tdi Quattro the rarest A3 on UK Rd's?? (interesting Website found)

Phil_H

Reaction score
I've got one now, but took me a while to find one, 3 on ebay and similar amount on Autotrader. There seem'd to be plenty of S3's and 20vT Quattro's about.

I managed to get mine from a local auction, massive fluke that I noticed it after nearly giving up and getting a 2wd Tdi...and also got it pretty cheap at just over 2k!

Anyway, culd it be the least common A3 out there???

Phil :)

Last edited:
Got a new motor :sign_pics:

Colour, spec ??

There's two near me dude, not sure uncommon they are.

Ming Blue, Sport.

Leather + Xeons

There maybe plenty around but guess nobody wants to sell them!

Found this last night http://www.howmanyleft.co.uk

Not sure how acurate it is, stick "Audi A3 Tdi Quattro Sport" in and there's a few to look at, I worked out the correct model by the first yr they give a fiqure for ie the S3 from 1999 and the Tdi from 2001. 705 A3 TDi Quattro Sports and 5853 S3's

the tdi quattro is by far the most rare 8L on the roads.

Hardly any made at all compared to 1.8T's and S3's.

Not necessarily the best, but ****** lovely cars, and the PD130 is a great engine.

very exclusive :)

I would love one with S3 spec as a work car. I had a bora TDI (PD150 @ 202bhp) as well as my s3, but the interia, the comfort, ride quality and equiptment level meant i always took the S3 out and never the Bora, and just took the fuel cost. an s3 with a PD engine would be an awesome work car for me :)

There's A silver one around the corner from me with rstt's on. Looks really nice.
I'd like to get the mileage yrs get's Phil. :racer:

They are rare because they was stupidly expensive to buy brand new! Spec'd up they was easily over £20k, but there's nothing else out there that was 4wd and diesel at the time of sale, which is why they was so exclusive!

Mine...

P6250079.jpg

Reactions: Inertiauk
Nice... Any plans dude??

Wheels and Remap probably, not much else. Although fancy taking it to Powerflow(or similar) for a decent exhaust before a Remap.

Got a few bits to sort first, needs a new rear bench or a retrim as the leathers torn from some of the seams and the body work could do with some correction as it has some bad swirls and holagraming. Oh and the windscreen is cracked..but then I did get it from an auction for a good price..I could spend another 1k on it with out loosing any money :)

Few bit and bob's, then happy days..What wheels you thinking ?

Last edited:
Not sure, been looking around. 17's I think, rds are really crap round here so 18's could upset my back with the lower profile tyres :)

Sure 18's would be fine, might have issues if you went 19's.

Well done! Easily the king of the A3 8L range. Welcome to the 50mpg+ club. Lol.

lol...cheers

I've been in the 50mpg club for a while, my last car was a '98 Ibiza Tdi, although that was 60mpg and I was running it 50/50 with Diesel/Veg oil, the Veg oil was used and FREE, so infact I was getting the cost eqivilent of 120mpg! Oh well..I'd rather drive the Audi and take a hit on the fuel to be fair, I a 3rd less mile now than I used to.

Had a B5 A4 Tdi before the Ibiza...I played chicken with a tractor and ended up in a Tree lol!!

Nice car, oddly the quattro was much cheaper to insure for me than the FWD PD130!

I'd like to map mine but the clutch and flywheel aren't cheap and don't want to risk them dying straight after! Mine has over 180k on it but drives really nicely, be interested what MPG you get as I'm averaging around 42 (real, not DIS indicated) which isn't what I was expecting, I was hoping for around 50 but it's pretty heavy with the 4wd system.

Nice car, oddly the quattro was much cheaper to insure for me than the FWD PD130!

I'd like to map mine but the clutch and flywheel aren't cheap and don't want to risk them dying straight after! Mine has over 180k on it but drives really nicely, be interested what MPG you get as I'm averaging around 42 (real, not DIS indicated) which isn't what I was expecting, I was hoping for around 50 but it's pretty heavy with the 4wd system.

I wish I was getting 42mpg. I get on average 33mpg (properly recorded) around town and I most of the time drive pretty economically and occassionally boot it a little.

I wish I was getting 42mpg. I get on average 33mpg (properly recorded) around town and I most of the time drive pretty economically and occassionally boot it a little.
Town driving really kills the MPG. Do you do a lot of short trips where the car doesn't properly warm up? I knew 60 wouldn't be possible (the 1.9TDIs are capable of this) but 50 would be good.

Have you got a map on yours? What clutch and flywheel are you running, stock?

I get a calculated 50mpg out of mine, and I got the heavy electric heated recaros.

Shameless plug here - but its kind of on topic :) I have an a3 tdi quatty for sale at the mo, its a high miler but shes been looked after - check the classifieds.

Its standard clutch and flywheel as far as I know and I don't think its been mapped. I bought it as standard. Most of my trips are about 10 miles taking about 25-30mins to and from work.

Should be well up to temp by then, what's your secret for 50mpg or is that a selling point Kave :jester:

I was getting average 47 to 48mpg today on a 15mile round trip (75% Dual carridge way, 25% back rds)...and also an ESP/ABS light that now I can't reproduce! lol