Little Trip to the Ring over the weekend

S3 TAM

Pocket now empty
Reaction score
Sorry lads, went and did a few laps over the weekend.

Weather wasn't that great, on and off rain on saturday managed 7 laps no great times to report.

Rain all day Sunday managed 3 Wet Laps "my **** hole went a few times Lol" but did a 10:46 which i'm quiet happy with.

i'll post up some Pic's and Vid's later.

Couldn't manage to get Harry's Lap Timer Pro to work properly, it records video but doesn't show the track on the video playback. :shrug:

PAS fluid boiled over after 3 laps in 40 mins. Is there anyway to keep it cool?

Car felt Great Can't wait till Septembers Ring Trip.........

PAS fluid boiled over after 3 laps in 40 mins. Is there anyway to keep it cool?

In all seriousness, couldn't you modify an oil cooler of some sort and have unions fitted to it and the PAS lines to suit high pressure use?

This is from Prawns thread:

More stuff bought! Got a stupidly good deal on this little lot from a place fairly local to me. Wasn't going to bother with a PAS cooler, but dad wanted to try it, and much I've read suggests that it's sustained high revs on track causing the PAS pump to heat the fluid, as well as radiant heat from the downpipe, so I'm doing both!

Mocal 16 row oil cooler, 80degree stat built into the sandwich plate, all hose and fittings, and a 7 row PSF cooler, all for �140 brand new :)

c461c066.jpg

And this:

After using the car on track last weekend, we found that the cooling system wasn't up to scratch. I think this is more down to the lack of oil cooler on the car. The cooling system is always going to struggle to keep control if the oil is absolutely cooking, and I'm fairly sure the oil would be getting far too hot on track.

Got the cooler mounted:

c0882b63.jpg

Vent holes cut in the arch liner for air flow, and meshed to protect it:
70c8bbe5.jpg

Made up a simple lower bracket in stainless to hold the cooler rigid:
a6cb6064.jpg

Then got the mounting finished and bolted up:
4c8881c5.jpg

Just need to fit the sandwich plate and run pipes now, and that's done.

I'm also going to try fitting a power steering fluid cooler, for some bizzare reason the power steering fluid gets VERY hot on track, and the steering goes notchy and whines towards after 10-15 mins abuse. On inspection it appeared that the fluid had been boilling.

Some suggest this is down to radiant heat from the downpipe in close proximity to the rack, although more sources seem to say that the additional heat is due to the sustained high revs, causing the pump to generate more heat.

To combat it, I've got a little 7 row mocal cooler I'm going to mount in the drivers side arch, opposite the oil cooler.

Made a start on how to pipe that up this evening too.

This is the current PSF hard pipe comming off the pump, heading to the near side:

d4926376.jpg

And this it the section I managed to salvage from a set of TT powersteering pipes I picked up a while ago:

cd27b4f9.jpg

It seems about perfect, as it'll send the pipe off towards the drivers arch, right where I need it. Just got to mount the cooler tomorrow night, then start piping it up.

try mattlewisracing for the cooler kits folks.

I never actually mounted a PAS cooler, the cooler in the pics above is my oil cooler. I've got the PAS cooler, but not mounted it yet.

The problem with them is the pressure, the mocal 7 row cooler I've got is only rated to 150psi, but the PAS systems run at way more than that, so i didn't want to risk it.

I'm thinking of putting the cooler either in the return from the rack to the reservoir, OR, the easiest place to get it would be in the feed side from the revervoir down to the pump, but i wasn't sure if I'd risk the pump cavitating as it'd have to work harder to draw the fluid through the cooler core first.

Still working on that one.

mine does still boil it's fluid, but aside from a little fluid blowing out of the reservior, it has no ill effects, and the steering doesn't go notchy or whine any more after fitting a new pump.

As for Harrys lap timer dude, take a look in your lap list and all the GPS data is in there for each lap, you need to link the video to the GPS data, then scroll to the bottom and press 'overlay'

the iphone hasn't got the power to record the GPS trace in real time, so you only get that by post processing.

press overlay, and it'll take about 10 mins to render the vid with the GPS data over it.

get it done and on youtube then send us a link :)

Wet laps are scary i argee! I did 6 wet laps last easter sunday in the A3. never want to do that again!

Roll in septembers trip :D

The problem with them is the pressure, the mocal 7 row cooler I've got is only rated to 150psi, but the PAS systems run at way more than that, so i didn't want to risk it.

Whilst this is true, most of the pressure is in the high pressure line from the pump to the rack. The S3 already has a PAS oil cooler of sorts (A piece of pipe which just goes around the front of the car and back), I'm led to believe that this section of the system runs far less pressure than the HPL.

Top stuff fellow will try the Harry Lap timer now.

Defo agree about the wet laps, 3 was enough for me....

As for the PAS cooler just talking to W3TLE about it. think it might be abit to much it's not like we do track days every week. just do a couple of laps and let the car cool down...

Whilst this is true, most of the pressure is in the high pressure line from the pump to the rack. The S3 already has a PAS oil cooler of sorts (A piece of pipe which just goes around the front of the car and back), I'm led to believe that this section of the system runs far less pressure than the HPL.
Agreed i had mine made up out of copper piping, and just has jubilee clips on and has been fine since

the 'cooler' back and forth hard line you speak of IS the high pressure line Welly! it's placed there, because the heat is put into the fluid by the pump running at high RPM's on track, so it needs cooling ideally after the pump but before the rack.

Personally, I wouldn't feel happy putting more pressure through a core than the manufacturer states, primarily because, IF you did have a fluid spill out on the 'Ring, you would be responsible for any other accidents caused by your fluid spill.

So if you split the cooler, and dropped fluid, then a brand new 911 GT3 came along and crashed on your oil, you can say good bye to your house.....

the ONLY safe place to mount a cooler is in the large bore return from the rack, or the feed from the reservoir down to the pump.

it's not the best location, but cooling as it much as possible before it goes through the pump will surely be enough to stop it boilling.

the 'cooler' back and forth hard line you speak of IS the high pressure line Welly! it's placed there, because the heat is put into the fluid by the pump running at high RPM's on track, so it needs cooling ideally after the pump but before the rack.

No, I'm not on about that bit dude, not the wiggly bit on the high pressure line - there is a separate section I believe.

The high pressure line is the one I had to replace 3 ****** times (damn thing) and is a right pain to fit. There is another section which runs around the front, separate to that line.

oooooooooooooooooooooooh. the A3 doesn't have that badboy! the A3 has the back and forth high pressure steel line, then off the rack the return is just a braided hose back up to the reservoir.

If the S3 has something extra, it's probably an idea place to plumb in a cooler.

if you've got an FMIC then the drivers side wind is a perfect place for the cooler.

I've got my oil cooler in the pass side arch, and will put the PAS fluid in the drivers arch when I get the time / inclination

The cooler line runs down the passenger inner wing up to the bottom of the radiator then doubles back on itself and clips to the boost pipe that runs under the car to join both smics up, but i was sure it was like that to cool and get enough fluid in the system from lock to lock? so how have the a3s got around that?
Anyway it would make the install simpler to have it on the passenger wing...