DIY intercooler spray

jay1601

Reaction score
been bored looking for a cheap mod to do, so have made a intercooler sprayer

as i don't have a rear wiper i have just used the connection off the screen wash bottle, the pipe closest to the back of the engine bay is for the rear wiper. tried to take a photo of it but too dark and hard to see.

total cost was about a tenner
total time was around a hour

i used Vauxhall Insignia "fan sytle" washer jets. £4 something for Vauxhall
i used 6mm fuel pipe picked up at local car shop was about £6 for 2 meters

i ran the pipe from the motor to the intercooler, i made a little bracket from some old ally i had laying around and attached the washer jet to it
DSC_0395.jpg

ran some more pipe to the jet on the other side of the cooler
DSC_0396.jpg

once fixed in place tried to make sure it all works
DSC_0397.jpg

as they mist the water out it also covers both of the other rads in water, should hopefully help keep the temps down in hot weather

back with bumper on. can't even see them
DSC_0398.jpg

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Yeah defo lose the chicken pen at the bottom.

You done any logs yet mate to see if it makes a difference?

Get a pressure switch so it only cuts in a set boost pressure, saves having to press a button.

wire is only temp, just to help protect the cooler.

looking for something better looking, like the RS4 stlye grille

haven't had a chance to log any readings yet.

i like the idea of a pressure switch tbh

I got mine off ebay a few years ago as my Impreza just had a switch on a timer, been trying to find it again but not having much luck. It's a small white switch which you can adjust to a preset level and then just plumb it in to the boost side of things. Can't see your pics yet as I'm VPN'ed in to work.

Excellent mate, I like it its a great idea. Get some logs done though. Obv on a really hot day itd be most effective.
You can get sheets of the rs4 style grill mesh on ebay.

Reactions: Samuel c5 Q
Hmm interesting.. read this off another site

If looking for even more efficiency than just washer fluid, one of the best is to mix up a 50/50 mix of water and regular rubbing alcohol. This mixture has been able to pull tremendous amounts of heat soak out of an intercooler in a very rapid amount of time.

LOL, or simply methanol.

A different kind of water meth system.

But a cheaper alternative and wont be as effective but should still yield gains.

The old Evos used to have some sort of pressure switch that automatically sprayed to cooler when on full boost. I've searched around for something similar but struggling to find anything of any use.

LOL, it's basically the exact same config as my water meth, expect it's not spraying it into the intercooler pipework...

It might be the solution for my small FMIC. I'll do some pikey investigation and see how cheap I can do this. Scrappy for spray jets, washer bottle and motor sounds like a plan

Hmm guess you need to get it right incase you **** liquid across the tracks of your tyres right on a demanding corner. How much fakin methanol do you need to store in the car to make this a viable performance addon?!

Hmm guess you need to get it right incase you **** liquid across the tracks of your tyres right on a demanding corner. How much fakin methanol do you need to store in the car to make this a viable performance addon?!

It's meant to be a fine mist so there shouldn't be enough to soak the tyres. Welly can tell you how much he gets through with his water meth system but I dont think it's too bad.

It's meant to be a fine mist so there shouldn't be enough to soak the tyres. Welly can tell you how much he gets through with his water meth system but I dont think it's too bad.

I'm planning to upgrade the pump on mine to a higher PSI, which will then use more. However currently, I don't use a huge amount. The S3 doesn't come on full whack boost until 4+ now meaning that everyday driving doesn't involve use of meth at all.

My screenwash tank is 5.2 litres, that will last a tank of fuel easily.

It's nice to see inlet temps drop below ambient outside temp when booting it in the summer! lol. Plus giving me about 110 octane fuel.

This is also interesting: Basic Water Meth HOW TO | setting up meth injection

Would it be beneficial on a car that already has wmi like yours welly, but then you iats are probably low enough I can imagine.
I dont see how spraying meth EXTERNALLY will cool more than water.

Would it be beneficial on a car that already has wmi like yours welly, but then you iats are probably low enough I can imagine.
I dont see how spraying meth EXTERNALLY will cool more than water.

Meth evaporates faster than water basically, making it more efficient at removing heat. Not much - but it will a bit.

Another good little bit of info.

The Scooby water bottles have 2 pumps in them, 1 for washers and 1 for the intercooler. The intercooler pump is set up the bottle a bit higher so that you cant empty the bottle completely and have none left to wash your wind screen.

There's a few STI bottles and pumps on ebay. This might be a good idear if you can replace the Audi water bottle for this one?

The Scooby water bottles have 2 pumps in them, 1 for washers and 1 for the intercooler. The intercooler pump is set up the bottle a bit higher so that you cant empty the bottle completely and have none left to wash your wind screen.

There's a few STI bottles and pumps on ebay. This might be a good idear if you can replace the Audi water bottle for this one?

Linky....

I might do this later on, how big does the pipe need to be for the pump? I have loads of 4mm id pipe laying around

been bored looking for a cheap mod to do, so have made a intercooler sprayer

as i don't have a rear wiper i have just used the connection off the screen wash bottle, the pipe closest to the back of the engine bay is for the rear wiper. tried to take a photo of it but too dark and hard to see.

Jay is there a seperate motor for the rear washer? I think it'll be a lot easier for me to utilise the rear washer hose as I hardly use the rear jet. It'll also mean I dont have to worry about finding somewhere to mount a new washer bottle.

My Impreza RA had a small seperate tank and pump to feed the sprays as standard. The newer RA's have a 7 litre the tank in the boot, it's controlled by the ecu these days, mine just had a button and a timer to begin with. My simtek ecu then controlled mine as it picked up off various senors, I had a 4 gallon tank in the boot like this:

Fuel Tank Line Petrol Boat Outboard Motor Engine Gauge | eBay UK

You could also use a micro switch on the throttle body rather than a boost pressure switch, you could start it at say 3/4 throttle so it's already spraying just before it stays to make any serious boost.

And don't forget to fit none return valves to stop the water draining back to the tank.

The washer bag looks a really good idea but where would you fit it? The boot!

The washer bag looks a really good idea but where would you fit it? The boot!

Yeah I gave up with the idea of fitting another bottle. If i went for a ful WMI kit I would mount the bottle in the spare wheel hole. As for a FMIC sprayer I think using the rear wiper pipe is the best bet as I hardly ever use the rear jet.

I built one of these on a gt4 many years ago. Combined it with a spal fan mounted to the IC to cool even more!

Yeah but i dont think i would want to lose the rear jet.

Im going to look into getting another pump and fitting like the sti's on the washer bottle, best of both worlds :).

gainey whats a spal fan?

Oryt oryt lol, thought it may have been something different, gits lol.