DIY intercooler spray

Had previously looked at this kit thought it was probably worth a try but am gonna wait and see how the new ah fab fmic pans out, if not was definately gonna hook something up to the rear jet but does anyone know if they are on seperate pumps in the end?

the front and rear is ran off 1 pump.

this is it, not the best but you get the idea
untitled-1.jpg

Has anybody done any logging with this set up yet?
After looking at a mates scooby STI i was thinking about this idea.
I had a poke about in the unit and found a pair of bmw washer jets and a pump from the same car... but i havent had time to try anything yet.

Has anybody done any logging with this set up yet?
After looking at a mates scooby STI i was thinking about this idea.
I had a poke about in the unit and found a pair of bmw washer jets and a pump from the same car... but i havent had time to try anything yet.

Once I get my FMIC actually cooling I'll do some logging with a spray kit. If it makes a few degrees difference for £40ish then it'll be a winner.

Spraying an intercooler with water is pretty effective... I do this quite often to cars running on Bill's dyno... keeps the runs more consistant for sure...

<tuffty/>

Spraying an intercooler with water is pretty effective... I do this quite often to cars running on Bill's dyno... keeps the runs more consistant for sure...

<tuffty/>

Any idea exactly how much of a difference spraying the cooler on the dyno makes? Mark was spraying mine last Friday too. Also, do you spray with just water on Bill's dyno or a mixture of water and meth?

<tuffty/>

We should try it with some water meth instead of water. Should be at least another 25% more efficient. Also 50% more flammable though :-/

Invisible fire FTW

Any idea exactly how much of a difference spraying the cooler on the dyno makes? Mark was spraying mine last Friday too. Also, do you spray with just water on Bill's dyno or a mixture of water and meth?

We should try it with some water meth instead of water. Should be at least another 25% more efficient. Also 50% more flammable though :-/

Even at 50/50 water meth is flammable so won't be doing that..

We just spray with water... I don't know the exact difference as all cars vary as do circumstances at the time of the runs but in my experience of doing this it definatley makes the power output between runs much more consistant rather than the usual warm up run, decent power run then heatsoaked run that it used to be...

Water is more effective at dissipating heat than air so it all helps...

<tuffty/>

Don't s3 have headlight washer?
TT have 2 pumps one for windscreen and one for aliens.
Got mine disconnected due to custom FMIC.
You guys got me thinking, only prob is that the bumper is a pita to remove,

Don't s3 have headlight washer?
TT have 2 pumps one for windscreen and one for aliens.
Got mine disconnected due to custom FMIC.
You guys got me thinking, only prob is that the bumper is a pita to remove,

Aliens!? Are you using an iphone by any chance?

Is the TT bumper a pain in general or is it where you've fitted the cooler. I'm an expert at getting the S3 front bumper on and off now.

Aliens!? Are you using an iphone by any chance?

Is the TT bumper a pain in general or is it where you've fitted the cooler. I'm an expert at getting the S3 front bumper on and off now.

I can honestly say the TT bumper is a right royal PITA to take off :)

<tuffty/>

Tuffty,
Are we talking a light covering then allow the air to pass over the cooler for a while then re aply or go to town on it until its dripping to the floor?
I may have got my hands on one of these boost switchs... otherwise it will be a small push button fitted out of sight.
I was thinking... fit jets at the top or bottom? water will continue to run down once the jets have shut off... is that a better plan?

Tuffty,
Are we talking a light covering then allow the air to pass over the cooler for a while then re aply or go to town on it until its dripping to the floor?
I may have got my hands on one of these boost switchs... otherwise it will be a small push button fitted out of sight.
I was thinking... fit jets at the top or bottom? water will continue to run down once the jets have shut off... is that a better plan?

I'd also like to know this.

I would fit jets at the top as the water will run down the core. I cant be ***** with a button so I'd wire in a boost switch set to about 18psi

Tuffty,

I'd also like to know this.

I would fit jets at the top as the water will run down the core. I cant be ***** with a button so I'd wire in a boost switch set to about 18psi

I spray it like I stole it LOL...

Air will still pass over the rows easy enough, the water just takes heat away from the aluminium bits.... if you feel the end tanks after giving the car a ragging you will notice they are quite hot... this is the heat transferred from the charge air... the airflow over the core is where the final bit of the heat transfer is supposed to kick in and the water helps this process... charge air heat is absorbed by the aluminium FMIC which in turn transfers the heat to air... thats how it works... apparently :)

<tuffty/>

Im keen on this idea...
However i mentioned it to a mate of mine who has always been into cars and has a beast of a fun car himself and he was of the opinion...
I am trying to mask a problem of the heatsoak killing the power, He did offer me a lancia boost switch ( to trigger the spray system ) but said i should look at either WMI or NOS ( only a small shock of gas, as much to cool the air as to boost power )
I did mention that both of these would no dout need some mapping to make the car safe , All extra cost i hadnt got to be honest, His opinion was either go for a bigger/ thicker core intercooler or try the water spray but fitting another bottle would mean in the boot so long *** pipes and probably very little water making it to the front if i used the BMW washer pump i did plan on.

Im keen on this idea...
However i mentioned it to a mate of mine who has always been into cars and has a beast of a fun car himself and he was of the opinion...
I am trying to mask a problem of the heatsoak killing the power, He did offer me a lancia boost switch ( to trigger the spray system ) but said i should look at either WMI or NOS ( only a small shock of gas, as much to cool the air as to boost power )
I did mention that both of these would no dout need some mapping to make the car safe , All extra cost i hadnt got to be honest, His opinion was either go for a bigger/ thicker core intercooler or try the water spray but fitting another bottle would mean in the boot so long *** pipes and probably very little water making it to the front if i used the BMW washer pump i did plan on.

He has a point to be fair... but its not always practical to do... unless you are prepared to emulate Welly with his behemoth of a FMIC then practical alternatives need to be sought... always a case of compromise if you plan to keep your car looking and driving like a road car... even with a big FMIC there is only so much air that can get to it unless you are prepared to do as Pat did and cut a section out of the bumper to allow the FMIC to bath in the stuff...

<tuffty/>

Ye, i completely agree
I know meth/ water would be a better option but... the cost and the remap work needed to be honest for me just isnt there for the smallish gains right now,
my thoughts on a bigger cooler are that as much of the cooler as can be is in direct line of air flow so a bigger one would be hidden from the passing air ? ( i always planned to keep the car looking as near to normal as possible ) where would the bottle go? Or would you use the screen wash bottle to feed the windows and the cooler??

Remap work? for WMI over what you currently have? add extra timing in using Unisettings but you WILL need to log the car to keep an eye on timing pull... or get to a dyno :)

<tuffty/>

So did anyone get round to some logging? Wondering if the fmic misting will add extra cooling to a wmi setup. It gets hot hot this side of the world - been 40c the past 2 days :(

So did anyone get round to some logging? Wondering if the fmic misting will add extra cooling to a wmi setup. It gets hot hot this side of the world - been 40c the past 2 days :(

i think you wasting your time dude, by the time you thought of spraying it the water has evaporated already

It gets so humid here nothing evaporates. It gets up to 96% humidity, its like almost walking into a hot water mist shower.
luckly its still kinda dryish at the moment.

I remember Stacey saying it made a noticable difference in AITs when he hosed his FMIC then went for a drive. Every little helps. You'd want it on a pressure switch so it sprayed automatically instead o having to flick switchs, in the same way the WMI works. Cool the FMIC inside and out ;)

Yeah, pressure switch FTW!
i have a enough on my plate trying to keep a look out for the police and other retarded drivesr that only signal after they have changed lanes.

I still think wmi is more effective.

maybe worth a try for scullies as he live in hot climate

Yeah, pressure switch FTW!
i have a enough on my plate trying to keep a look out for the police and other retarded drivesr that only signal after they have changed lanes.

would like to see how you would connect that up

i think full DIY is in order

would like to see how you would connect that up

i think full DIY is in order

Stacey had it in his thread I think. It ran off the headlight washer pipe so it was spraying the FMIC with washer fluid and water. You'd either need a seperate pump and water tank or somehow wire the pressure switch into the windscreen washer pump. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I also looked at buying a scooby washer bottle as they have a seperate compartment of fluid so that you can't use all the washer fluid on your FMIC, it keeps some back so you can wash your screen.

Stacey had it in his thread I think. It ran off the headlight washer pipe so it was spraying the FMIC with washer fluid and water. You'd either need a seperate pump and water tank or somehow wire the pressure switch into the windscreen washer pump. Shouldn't be too difficult.

I also looked at buying a scooby washer bottle as they have a seperate compartment of fluid so that you can't use all the washer fluid on your FMIC, it keeps some back so you can wash your screen.

thanks westy will go troll his thread

lol

OK break it down for me, do you get heatsoak under normal driving or driving hard with a large fmic?
does having a large fmic and running wmi make any difference.

I just cant see little jet sprays making much difference tbh

lol

OK break it down for me, do you get heatsoak under normal driving or driving hard with a large fmic?

It will be minimal mate but might be more beneficial to guys in super hot climates.

It's the same as when you're on holiday and get out the swimming pool. When you're wet, a little breeze can make you feel really cold. This is the same effect on a FMIC that is wet and being rammed with fast moving air.

Just no.

If you have got meth, a pissy intercooler spray off your washer bottle pump will be of no benefit. And if it gets to 96% humidity, by he time you add meth into the mix on a chemical level you will have all the cooling you need I am sure of it. if not just up your meth concentration and have your map adjusted to suit, more advance and more meth.

What are your IAT's? Is it an ongoing concern? Is there any reason why you feel like you want to do this?

I've been through this quite scientifically in other threads, but in short the energy transfer of the water evaporating is how the cooling works. To have a positive effect on your IAT's the water will have to be under HIGH pressure to create the smallest possible water particles. The surface area of the water that comes out of a washer pump just won't do the job anywhere near as well as you are expecting it to.

A PROPER intercooler sprayer is a great idea; but it's a lot more complex than the cobbled together **** originally posted in this thread. (no offense meant, though I know it will be taken.)

If you want to be effective this is the best "DIY" kit I have seen -

But this is how you really want it -

Last edited by a moderator:
Just no.

If you have got meth, a pissy intercooler spray off your washer bottle pump will be of no benefit. And if it gets to 96% humidity, by he time you add meth into the mix on a chemical level you will have all the cooling you need I am sure of it.

What are your IAT's? Is it an ongoing concern? Is there any reason why you feel like you want to do this?

I've been through this quite scientifically in other threads, but in short the energy transfer of the water evaporating is how the cooling works. To have a positive effect on your IAT's the water will have to be under HIGH pressure to create the smallest possible water particles. The surface area of the water that comes out of a washer pump just won't do the job anywhere near as well as you are expecting it to.

A PROPER intercooler sprayer is a great idea; but it's a lot more complex than the cobbled together **** originally posted in this thread. (no offense meant, though I know it will be taken.)

In which case I'd say investigate the way the Evos/scoobies systems work as they run of the washer bottle but probably use a seperate high pressure pump for the spray. The recommendation for WMI pumps is 200psi to get a decent mist. Obviously a standard washer pump is not going to be this strong.

lol

you get heaksoak all the time, obviously things will be hotter when you are driving hard. When you stop in traffic that's when things really start to soak up the heat as there is no air flowing through the face of the fmic and into the engine bay.
i have never used wmi but seen some impressive drops in iat readings with the guys using wmi.

In which case I'd say investigate the way the Evos/scoobies systems work as they run of the washer bottle but probably use a seperate high pressure pump for the spray. The recommendation for WMI pumps is 200psi to get a decent mist. Obviously a standard washer pump is not going to be this strong.

UK Imprezzas don't have it as an automatic spray, it's something which can be manually used to cool the IC in "extreme" conditions.

It's common on Scooby forums to setup a separate tank and run a meth dilution to make it actually work, as far as I could find when I looked at it a couple of years ago it was seen as a bit of a gymick.

But then people had problems with their intercoolers corroding, and with water they had problems with the pipes clogging and limescale on the pumps and intercooler fins.

So the only real option was de-ionised water and a very small portion of meth.

All a bit poop really, considering how great WMI is.