ESP light comes on when accelarating??

Rob_B

Reaction score
got a little issue with my s3, the esp/traction control light comes on when accelarating at speed

if i put my foot done in 6th at 60 mph and accelarate to 70-80mph the yellow light comes on, nothing happens, apart from the light coming on and staying on

when i shut the engine off and start it back up again the light goes out, and only come back on again when i do the same thing

any ideas guys?

regards
rob

Could also be lateral/longitudinal acceleration sensor. As W3STY says, you need a VCDS scan to tell you for sure.

Sounds like a wheel speed sensor issue. You'll need to get your car scanned to be able to find out which wheel sensor it is.

Agreed - get it scanned.

When my wheel speed sensors have come on in the past both the esp and abs lights have come on and the car has been proper sketchy under braking.

Agreed - get it scanned.

When my wheel speed sensors have come on in the past both the esp and abs lights have come on and the car has been proper sketchy under braking.

would that be a frightening surging of braking followed by no brakes etc? had similar myself, but it was my longitudinal sensor that was gubbed,

as said above many times, get it scaned, you could waste ALOT of money throwing parts at it that it wont need.

I'd hazzard a bet that you're all wrong :D

It'll be a fault code saying MAF signal too high

This often happens of you add mods after a stage 1 remap, as the car is able to reach higher load values on the ecu than when first mapped.

Mine does this since adding a TIP and 3" dp after a stage 1 map, nick (rtech) said it was something to do with going over 185% load.

It only does it very rarely, and only in 4th or 5th and only on 95 Ron fuel.

I'd bet any money that's what it is

Reactions: Varker97
Yeah, this used to happen on my car, 4th, 5th and 6th, when scanned it would show 'maf signal to high'.

Since i've had a new engine fitted and had the boost dropped a bit I've never seen this fault come up.

Could also be the infamous G200 sensor. Mine done exactly this. Turned out someone had bent the bracket.

car has had suspension work all new ball joints, front wishbone bushes and arb bushes, i have had it tracked up but it still does it

soon after i had the new bushes fitted when going over bumpy roads the traction control light would flash and activate as though i was wheel spinning even though it wasnt losing grip - however this problem has gone now

i have had the car on the scanner and it didnt have any fault codes for the abs or traction control system, loads for the enigne but thats because i have just fitted a new engine

so it could be the maf issue prawn talks of, how do you go about fixing it? i have had the mods done on my old engine and there was never an issue but with the new BAM engine it seems to - i also think there is a boost leak, would this cause the maf fault?

it's definitely the MAF signal too high code mate, I'd put money on it.

it's not a problem though, it's just something that happens because you're making more power than it's expecting to make.

have you fitted a large port engine where it used to have a small port by any chance? as that'd certainly make it happen.

either way, it's not doing any harm, and there's certainly nothing wrong with it, so I wouldn't worry

I had a amk engine and blew it on a track day, so i then purchased a BAM engine from a LCR, refreshed all the bearing and pumps

is it true the BAM has larger ported head??

nope BAM is small port

i have had the same problem for a long time now, under heavy acceleration the traction control light would come on but would not always do that. i have a koni suspension lowered with h&r springs but i really didn't think it had anything to do with that, it all started when i added an inline fuel pump (my oem one went bad) and also installed a second hand oem pump,engine was been over fueled and the esp indicator was going on(not really sure..!!) a few weeks ago i pulled out the inline pump and it hasn't gone on since..:thumbsup:

well i have solved my boost leak and its sorted this issue out too...touch wood

Did you ever fix this issue? I have put 3” downpipe & oversized tip on my standard car and now have this issue.
Thanks

Last edited:
Did you remember to plug your maf back in?

Reactions: Nathxn__
Scan for fault codes people...

Lights coming on like this will result in a fault code of some kind. .

<tuffty/>

Reactions: Nathxn__
Thanks for the replies fella’s
The code I have is p0103 maf signal too high, gonna replace it and see.

Attachments

• C04BC1C4-61EE-41DA-A721-56930247D204.jpeg
    C04BC1C4-61EE-41DA-A721-56930247D204.jpeg
    838 KB · Views: 160