Brembo brakes - ebay troubles - fraud?

S3Lol

Reaction score
Well, I purchased a set of Brembo calipers, hangers, lines + 2 sets of disks and pads for £500 about 2/3 weeks ago off ebay. They have come off an LCR, as a guy is upgrading to Porsche brakes.

However, having a nightmare with ebay. When I pay via paypal, it is going to his wrong email address. He has supposedly changed his email address on ebay and paypal, however when I go to pay, it still is the wrong paypal account. I have asked him to send me an invoice twice so I can pay via that, and he says he has sent two invoices. I havent recieved either.

Now he is saying I can pay cash if he delivers them to me.

This is all seeming a bit dodgy to me as I will not be protected by the ebay protection scheme with Paypal. Anyone else experienced fraud through ebay for car parts or am I just over reacting?

link to ebay page...

BREMBO CALIPERS gti s3 tt a3 golf leon cupra on eBay (end time 01-Jun-11 18:50:16 BST)

Dont pay cash, he has 1 feedback for selling an item, so if I was you say unless you sort your paypal out then I cant complete the deal, alternatively contact ebay/paypal & ask them what you can do, if you collect & pay cash then you have no protection for faults etc.

I wouldnt pay £500 for the lcr brembo. I only payed 375posted for my fully refurbed boxster fronts with carriers,lines,discs and genuine porsche pads. Theyve got alot more balls than the lcr's!

Personally id just leave it. Get yourself on edition38 theres always brakes comes up for sale on there.

Avoid paying cash mate .sounds like a deal about to go wrong especially with the email changes on paypal etc
it may be a hacked ebay account .just blank it IMO

I would deffo prefer to go through ebay. I bought an aeb head a few weeks ago off ebay, the guy put his number in the auction so i dealt with it all over the phone, i just got the head out of the local rebore shop with an extra 400 bill.

Stick with pay pal dude, and my lcr brembos are **** hot so don't worry about that either ;)

so he is willing to deliver them to you if you pay cash? do you mean in person?

I wouldnt pay £500 for the lcr brembo. I only payed 375posted for my fully refurbed boxster fronts with carriers,lines,discs and genuine porsche pads. Theyve got alot more balls than the lcr's!

Personally id just leave it. Get yourself on edition38 theres always brakes comes up for sale on there.

2 points:

1. £375 for what you just listed is an absolutely insane price, a setup like that would usually go for twice that amount.

However:

2. You boxster fronts are NOT better than LCR brakes. equally as good I'm sure, but most certainly not better when it comes to stopping power.

I've got a bigger version of your boxster fronts on my dailly: 996 330mm fronts, and I've got 323mm LCR brembos on my track car.

I can safely say, contrary to popular belief, that the porsche brakes are no better at all.

They both incredible brakes, and both will easily enough to rip your face off from any speed, but I think the LCR brakes deserve more credit, porsche 4 pots are NOT an upgrade over LCR brakes in terms of stopping power.

Back on topic:

I don't see the problem myself, there are hundreds of people out there who are useless with computers, and are forced to link a paypal account to their ebay account, when they can't actually use it. I've had this several times.

If the guy is offering to deliver them to you, and allowing you to pay cash AFTER looking at them, then that seems 100% OK to me, examine them closely, and if they're no good, just don't buy them!

£500 for Brembos with good discs and pads is a good price, and about the going rate.

Considering those look pretty clean, and have two sets of discs and pads, I reckon it's a bargain.

Get him to drop them over, pay cash, fit them and be happy.

If they're ropey, send him on his way.

Simples