Miltek sports cat, how much power does it really add ?

BigSimon

Reaction score
Hi,

I have been thinking about a Miltek exhaust system and sports CAT but I am very supprised at the power gains suggested on the site of a the sports CAT and I would like to know if anyone has the full system including a sports CAT or maybe just the sports CAT and a standard exhaust.

Please could you let me know what power you are getting from these upgrades and let me know if you think I should sell my wife to buy the exhaust.

Thanks,

Simon

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Click below to see the graph - <font color="red"> </font>

Miltek Sports CAT Power Gain !

Interesting, didn't see the link you included Simon, but anyhow, that gain of 50ish bhp will more likely come from a remap and not the sports cat. If anyone thinks they can get more than 20bhp from a sports cat and exhaust, they are seriously dreaming, as said before, the exhaust is not the restriction on these engines, but a bigger bore will help a little. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Jojo have you fitted a big bore intake on your car? or is it viable for an S3??

[/ QUOTE ]

Bigbore intake as in an induction kit?, running standard airbox at the mo, it's good for 300 bhp apparently, so no point in changing yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I dont have a S3 but, On my A4 TQS i had 198BHP before my remap and i had a free flow exhaust and a superprint exhaust. To tell you the truth i only noticed my car being a bit more free reving but with a remap i noticed a power difference.

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I would have thought but the graph that I have attached to my post above shows that at it's peak the power would go from 212 bhp (Standard Cat) - 261 bhp (Miltek Sports Cat).

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT??

I think that increase must be for a sports cat and re-map.
212 to 261 is about right for a re-map and exhaust + cats.

I had the Milltek cats on my S3...there were the 100 cell things they used to supply (they now supply 200 cell as the 100 cell cats were bringing the engine check light on after a few years of use) so mine were, if anything, less restrictive than the 200 cell now supplied...

And I got how much of a gain, on the dyno?
Nothing...nadda, nowt, precisely [censored] all.

I before and after dyno's the Milltek ill fitting exhaust and the sports cats...and got nothing at all.

Sorry...but they are not woth the cash...

Now, when you are really pushing high boost...you MAY see a slight gain with the sports cats...perhaps a couple of lb-ft in torque...but this is whan you are well over 310 lb-ft you MAY get a gain...

There are other ways of spending £700 and getting better results on an otherwise standard S3...lie on the brakes or suspension.

RE the airbox, leave it well alone...there's nothing wrong with it...unless you want more noise, in which case add an inlet kit of some type...it'll run worse in trafic, probably heatsoak more...but make more noise. Brilliant mod. Not.

[ QUOTE ]

How about 3.2 Engine, Glen? IS there any gain at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it...
I also have a Milltek sports cat on my Mk3 GTI, and it's making nearly 200 BHP from a NA 2.0 16v...and again I got no power gain.

You may get the feeling that the engine is revving a little more freely...this I can accept...but no power gains.

So on a 3.2...I doubt you'll get a power gain. You may feel the engine revs a little more freely...but I bet that's it.

The thing is, the modern engines seem to need 200 cell cats to maintain emissions compliance and not bring the engine check light on (assuming it has a pre and post cat lambda) so you can't go to the really free flowing cats anyway...
And the VAG cat's appear to be pretty efficient anyway...nothing like as bad as the Japanese restrictive cats...
So, all in all...next to nothing of a gain for reasonably big money...nothing quantifyable anyway.

[ QUOTE ]
I think power gains are minimal, as the exhaust isn't the restriction on the S3, probably gain a bit more torque in the mid range due to the turbo being able to spin up quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Granted the exhaust isn't the main restriction on the S3, but it is deifinately a restriction.

The standard S3 exhaust reduces dramtically in bore size to get under the rear axle.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think power gains are minimal, as the exhaust isn't the restriction on the S3, probably gain a bit more torque in the mid range due to the turbo being able to spin up quicker.

[/ QUOTE ]
Granted the exhaust isn't the main restriction on the S3, but it is deifinately a restriction.

The standard S3 exhaust reduces dramtically in bore size to get under the rear axle.

[/ QUOTE ]

... However, This isnt a restriction. As has been said and proved many times, the only REAL restriction in the S3 is the turbo and manifold. If you were to fit a better manifold and still use the K04, you may make a bit more power, but the turbo will be at its absolute limit...

Rich

I can still picture is disappearing into the distance along with a couple of S3's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

A nice track car you have there ess_three.

The numbers made sense as soon as you mentioned mr Blydenstein.

I had one of his heads on my old MK2. Completely transformed the car.

I was running two exhaust cams in mine as I couldn't afford shrick items at the time. Seemed to spread the torque out a bit through the rev range.
This was all attached to a 2.0l bored KR block.