building a sub in the spare tire well ?????

AARON77

Reaction score
hi guys just a quickie does any1 know of a thread/post on how to build a sub in the spare tire well????
or maybe you someone has done this
ive posted on the ice section aswell
im gonna atempt it this weekend regardless pls help

i've made a subbox in my wheel well

looks like this
DSC_0371.jpg

still gives out good enough bass

false floor style ?

if so would be easy to turn into a false floor design

I have done this in a previous car (mk2 golf), did exactly what you intend to do, i.e. build a false floor and then use the space in the spare wheel well as the enclosure.

Its not ideal, and I would not recommend it. Firstly the sub will be firing against gravity, and thus reducing its efficiency.

Secondly, you will consume just as much usable boot space as if you had a proper box in half of it. I say either buy an andy mac stealth box for over the n/s rear wheel arch, or just go for a big box. If you want a little enclosure look at the 10" fli, tidy little thing, hardly takes up any room at all.

If you are really intent on doing this, forget fibreglass. Either square off the wheel well in mdf, or some multi sided shape again in mdf

I agree with kave, you wont be able to get the most out of the sub as there isnt enough space in the spare wheel well to make a decent sized box, so it wont sound that good imo. On the other hand though if you just want a little more bass then go for it. I wouldn't personally worry about gravity on the sub unless your powering it by a mouse.

Last edited: