Flywheel needed...

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
Sorry mods as I know this is a bit naughty, however....

I need a solid flywheel from an A3.

Condition not important.

Does anyone have one kicking about that they want rid of?

DMFs are no good (too heavy).

Didnt realise any of the A3's came with solid flywheels.

Your best bet is probably to find a 4cylinder golf flywheel from the early 90's (1.8 8v/16v etc) or a Audi 80 flywheel from a similar era. These will bolt up to your 1.8T crank without issue.

The solid flywheels arent really any lighter than the DMF's though, maybe very slightly, but a fully assembled solid flywheel and clutch weighs more or less the same as a fully assembled DMF and clutch.

A3's have DMF's as well Welly!

I've got an A3 DMF sat on my garage floor at the mo that I can bring up when I'm up at Bills next. Weight difference really isn't THAT great either, standard ABF SMF is 9.5-10kg, and the DMF I removed was about 13kg.

The only reason you hear so much about SMF's on A3's is because it's a no brainer upgrade when changing the clutch, I jsut fitted an ABF SMF and vr6 clutch to mine last weekend

Was your SMF an aftermarket one though?

Factory SMF's arent really very light.

Your best bet is to find one of the two i mentioned above. The G60 part is the same as the ABF flywheel prawn mentions, its also used on a lot of other 4 cylinder petrol and diesel engined transverse cars pre 1997.
The Audi 80 one is again used in 2.0 petrol 80's as well as 1.9TDI's from a similar era. I just baught one of these recently on ebay for 30quid.

Was your SMF an aftermarket one though?

Factory SMF's arent really very light.

Your best bet is to find one of the two i mentioned above. The G60 part is the same as the ABF flywheel prawn mentions, its also used on a lot of other 4 cylinder petrol and diesel engined transverse cars pre 1997.
The Audi 80 one is again used in 2.0 petrol 80's as well as 1.9TDI's from a similar era. I just baught one of these recently on ebay for 30quid.

Yeah, it was aftermarket.

Have you got a part number handy dude?

Are you still after a crank, Ive just removed one from a Fiat Coupe 5 cylinder with pistons, rods etc