Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By [Dave B]

Thread: Clucth slave cylinder expired?

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status

Clucth slave cylinder expired?

Afternoon gents, I believe my clutch slave cylinder may have started to leak Could you give me your views? The symptoms are:

1. Recently when I released the clutch to park the car the pedal only came half way up. I had to raise it the rest of the way with my foot. It's not done it again since but the clutch pedal does feel a bit *wierd*, but I can't explain it any further. It's not the pedal bracket as this was reinforced last year to prevent inevitable failure.

2. I've noticed a minor leak of fluid under the engine towards the N/S of the engine bay. I can't see where it's coming from as the engine tray is in the way, but from touching it and sniffing it, it's not engine oil (although a similar consistency) and it's not water.

I'm going to get a quote from Awesome, why do I get the feeling that my FMIC is going to have to wait a few more months......
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made
    > Clio v6 255 (05) - Lethal Weapon

View: My S3 diary

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    You got it

Comrades of Vag find us on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/comradesof.vag?ref=hl

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+
    > 205 GTI (90) - Limited Edition Miami Blue with full leather - 1 of only 300 made

6th Gear

Status
    When my slave cylinder packed in I didn't have any leaks from under the car, also when I first noticed the pedal was going ****y I could pump the peddle a few times to build the pressure up to give me full travel, however 10-15mins on a dual carriage was all it took for the peddle to lose pressure again.

Originally had the master cylinder changed first which never cured the problem so the gearbox had to be split...

The common faults that seem to hound these cars is becoming a joke.

3rd Gear

Status
    If its leaking under the car, check all of the pipe work connections, the master cylinder ,and the bleed nipple T-piece, and possibly other pipes in between have mild steel metal clips holding the pipes onto them, they corrode and fall off. Worth checking before you split the box.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _
    Driving a 2004 B6 Audi S4 - Stage 2

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Down under

Status
    My friends 06 Polo GTI slave cylinder went and never fully disengaged so was wearing the clutch down constantly :/ She got it replaced (as the clutch went too) and it's all good now...

Forgot to add, Seb at Euro Automotive done the clutch and then on the test drive the pedal just hit the floor. Narrowed it down to the slave cylinder, changed it and it fixed it.
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

My other car is a MINI!!!!

Status
    Bad news man,

the Slave cylinder went on one of my A3's a few months back, and the leaking fluid got all over the clutch and ruined that too! Not cool
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prawns TFSI Turbo'd 1.8T Track Car

But I know nothing so ignore me.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam S3 View Post
    Forgot to add, Seb at Euro Automotive done the clutch
    ....ooo, is he local?
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Down under

Status
    I'm confused haha He's local to me but then I'm the other side of the world from you haha
    Handling mods++. HTA3582 stroker soon-ish. Hiding parts from the mrs since 2011. Build thread

6th Gear

Status
    just pulling your leg
    Alex S3 AMK
    Bilstein B8s, H&R Springs, Neuspeed ARBs, Genuine 18" BBS LMs & LCR Brembos

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Dave have you checked if the end of the clutch piston is leaking in the foot well?
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Does the clutch and brake system use the same reservoir? And is it the white tank in the top left hand corner of the engine bay? If it is, should it be topped up to the plastic join?
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Westle View Post
    Dave have you checked if the end of the clutch piston is leaking in the foot well?
    No, but i'll have a look when I go back out.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Funky_Junky View Post
    Does the clutch and brake system use the same reservoir? And is it the white tank in the top left hand corner of the engine bay? If it is, should it be topped up to the plastic join?
    Anyone?
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Well it's going in to Awesome tomorrow for a diagnostic so I'll report back the outcome. If it does need a new slave cylinder, clutch and DMF it's going to cost ~£750
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    It shares the same fluid, as said look on top of the g/box at the pipe joins for leaks , you may get lucky...

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    Fingers crossed it is just an external leak, I should know by lunchtime.

Awesome GTI have given me a 1.4 Seat Ibiza as a courtesy car, how do people live with cars soooooooo sllloooooowwwwww? I'd rather drive my 21 year old Pug.
    S3Lol likes this.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

2nd Gear

Status
    had my S3 for 3 days and the slave went. Went through new master, t-piece's, etc., and then finally bit the bullet for new slave and clutch. ££££'s I was hoping I wouldnt have to spend.
    Current

Porsche Cayman S

Gone but not forgotten
    Audi S3:Blueflame TBE; 3" blueflame downpipe; Forge 007p; jabbasport custom map; Badger 5 TIP v1, various bushes, N249 Bypass, Stack Boost Gauge, Junior GT Brembo brakes, tarox 2 part discs, DS2500's

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S1LFH View Post
    I was hoping I wouldnt have to spend.

After 2 and a half years I'm still spending loads on this money pit.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

Rrrrrrrr-tech

Status
    WARNING, RANT BELOW.

Well what a great day yesterday was.

- 8.30am: Drop car off at Awesome explaining that I think the slave cylinder is on it's way out and would like confirmation so they can fix it before I end up stranded by the side of the road. Also request fuel filter to be changed and leak to be investigated. I'm told I'll get a call following the clutch 'diagnosis' work.

- 1.30pm: I find 5 mins spare at work to ring Awesome as I've heard nothing, it turns out they haven't looked at the car yet but they're about to start...I'm told I'll get a call back in about an hour.

- 3.00pm: I ring up because I still haven't heard anything. The leak has been identified as a leaky PAS pipe which can be repaired. The clutch is 'fine' according to the technician as he's been out in it and it feels normal, but he gives it a bleed to sharpen up the clutch response. The fuel filter isn't done yet so I'm asked to ring back in another hour to make sure the car is finished before I set off.

- 4.00pm: I ring back as requested only to be told that 'of course the car will be ready for 5.00pm'...

- 4.30pm: Arrive, part with £130, pick up car, clutch feels much firmer but I put it down to driving a different car all day and the bleeding performed.

- 5.03pm: Whilst sat at a roundabout on the way home from Awesome GTI, in rush hour traffic, I depress the clutch only for it not to come back up...at all, and I can't engage any gears.

- 8.00pm: This is how I arrive home:

I spoke to Awesome at 9.03am this morning and as they need to speak to Jim I need to wait until Monday for a resolution. Not impressed as the car is now un-useable.

RANT over.
    > S3 225 (03) - OEM+

Down under

Status
    Dude that's no good at all. I rarely like dealing with garages but I've always heard good of Awesome (small sample size though).

If it's any conciliation the car looks nice! I prefer the rear bumper with the parking sensors (the panel).

Hope you get the clutch sorted. I hope my slave cylinder got replaced after reading this!