IS THIS OIL OK FOR A OIL CHANGE?????

wayne1.8t

Reaction score
As above really my pal got it for me free so if it's anygood to me I'll use it!
Also is it enough?
Cheers guys
Engines a 1.8T

c123840c-3c1c-4f23.jpg

i use 10W-40 and i think you need 4.6l for an oil change, so i think 5l will be fine

Yeah,i would have no probs using that in mine. I just use Comma 10w40 in mine.

I wouldnt be using semi-synthetic oil in a tuned turbocharged engine tbh...

You really want 5w40 fully synthetic

If you do choose to use it, i wouldnt be leaving it in the engine much longer than 4-5k.

im using 5/30 in my 1.8t quattro tommorow :) 4.5litres inc filter..

Cheers for the replys guys!!! job to do at the weekend then.
I'll c If he can swap it.
My cars not "tuned" just standard if that makes any differance.
Cheers

Check it meets vw 504.00 spec

My s3 has had 10w/40 every 10k for 100k and no probs.

I wouldnt be using semi-synthetic oil in a tuned turbocharged engine tbh...

You really want 5w40 fully synthetic

If you do choose to use it, i wouldnt be leaving it in the engine much longer than 4-5k.

AMD Essex use 10/40 in AMK engine,.....think they know what they are doing, been looking after mine and much more expensive with no problems...

Everyone has a point of view on oil, but surely the people to trust are those that do it every day for commercial reward, they know what works , what doesn't and what costs them money and complaints.

You tell me

audi also use 10/40 on this engine just because they use doesnt mean its the best oil for the job.using 10/40 is not a bad thing i think 5/40 is a better option but thats just me.

10/40 has a higher kinematic viscosity than 5/40, so is more suited to hotter startup temperatures (summer), 5/40 is hence better in the colder months and will be kinder to your engine when warming up. But as long as they are good quality and fully synthetic (significantly reduces oil burn-off in turbo cars), either will be fine.

IMO the oil Audi chose for the engine plays a large contributory part to the sludge issues these engines face.

If you run semi-synthetic oil, and get it really hot, it breaks down and turns to crap. If you run it for long periods of time (ie 10k) by the time the change interval comes the oil is knackered and depositing gunk all over the insides of your engine. Synthetic oil handles the high temperatures (such as those found in the core of your turbo) much better, and also typically does a better job of cleaning the engine internals.

Personally, i look at the issues these engines have with their oil, and think why take a chance? As a result, I run 5w40 fully synthetic oil and change it every 5k. You can buy Quantum Platinum from VW for about 20quid a gallon, which is small change compared to grenading the motor.

Stating that Trader XYZ use 10w40 oil isnt really any justification that its decent. Semi-synth oil is cheaper, sometimes as much as half the price of an equivalent quality fully synth oil at trade prices. Traders are in business to make money, and when queried, they'll happily justify using it because it meets the specifications that Audi state the engine requires, the same specifications that have sludged up so many 1.8T's...

A rule of thumb i tend to find works quite well is to change the oil when it stops looking golden brown and starts looking black. On a clean engine running good quality 5w40 synth that seems to happen around 5-6k. On a dirty engine it happens much sooner, because all the crap thats coating the insides of the motor dissolves into the oil.

Last edited:
Had 5w30 fully synthetic in mine according to Aweome earlier this year but had CarLube 5W40 in it last year (again fully synthetic).

Is there actually any specific difference between the two?

30 weight oil is thinner when hot. A little too thin imo, as it can cause the oil pressure to drop a bit too low if the cars driven hard.

5w30 fully synth is Audi's spec for long life servicing.

Cheers aragon - will speak to them again when I'm there on Thursday to get my Thermostat sorted.