rocker cover and cam chain adjuster gasket part no....

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score
Does anybody have the part numbers for these two gaskets? Id like to order them on my lunch, ive done a quick search but its really difficult on my phone.
Thanks

You need 14 and 18 below mate, I'm looking for the numbers for you:

Screen_shot_2011-05-17_at_9.50.29_PM.png

I think I will have to replace the half moon shaped gasket as well soon. is there anything worthwhile that would need doing while the rocker cover is off?

18 is 058 198 025 A. Not sure about 14. In ETKA, sealant (AMV 174 004 01) is listed for AUM, ARX, AGU, AUQ, ARY, AQA.

I have an APY engine so no idea why sealant is not recommended and so I've no idea if i should be using sealant or not at the moment.

You will also need VW tool 3366 which is £10 from audi to compress the chain tensioner

Any advice on screwing down the tensioner with this tool and replacing the gasket and half moon. By 'any advice' I mean what are the ways you can **** up this job?

Just got off the phone with parts, £30.71, Jesus Christ lol, that sound about right for the 2?

Yeah sounds like Audi prices ;)

18 is 058 198 025 A. Not sure about 14. In ETKA, sealant (AMV 174 004 01) is listed for AUM, ARX, AGU, AUQ, ARY, AQA.

I have an APY engine so no idea why sealant is not recommended and so I've no idea if i should be using sealant or not at the moment.

You will also need VW tool 3366 which is £10 from audi to compress the chain tensioner

Any advice on screwing down the tensioner with this tool and replacing the gasket and half moon. By 'any advice' I mean what are the ways you can **** up this job?

I used some blue silicone sealant from my local motor factors. It's in a yellow tube but called "blue" I think!

Oh and you dont need the tool. I undid the 2 screws on top of the tensioner then lifted it up with 1 hand while using a tiny flat head screwdriver to manouver out the old gasket. Get a mate to help, it's much easier.

Yeah sounds like Audi prices ;)

I used some blue silicone sealant from my local motor factors. It's in a yellow tube but called "blue" I think!

Oh and you dont need the tool. I undid the 2 screws on top of the tensioner then lifted it up with 1 hand while using a tiny flat head screwdriver to manouver out the old gasket. Get a mate to help, it's much easier.

Thanks Westle, I bought some Hymolar Blue and have sump sealant as that is the next job. An audi mechanic reckoned on using just a bit of the sump sealant on the sharp angle changes around the cylinder cover. Not sure if i should just use the blue stuff all the way round on both sides of the gasket or not. Guess i can remove and add blue stuff if it leaks. The new rubber gasket has ribs along the seal so it looks like it shouldn't need any sealant.

My only concern with the tensioner gasket is loosening the chain so much that it could jump a tooth lower down the engine where i cant see. I guess if line up all the timing marks before i start then there is a check in place.

Thanks Westle, I bought some Hymolar Blue and have sump sealant as that is the next job. An audi mechanic reckoned on using just a bit of the sump sealant on the sharp angle changes around the cylinder cover. Not sure if i should just use the blue stuff all the way round on both sides of the gasket or not. Guess i can remove and add blue stuff if it leaks. The new rubber gasket has ribs along the seal so it looks like it shouldn't need any sealant.

My only concern with the tensioner gasket is loosening the chain so much that it could jump a tooth lower down the engine where i cant see. I guess if line up all the timing marks before i start then there is a check in place.

I only applied sealant to the under side of the outer gasket and on the 2 blue marks on the cam tensioner gasket.

You dont need to loosen the chain at all mate. ElsaWin says to remove the cams and all sorts of stuff but Dean at 4Rings recommended just un doing to 2 hex bolts on top of the tensioner then it can be compressed/lifted the few mm it needs to get the old gasket out and the new one in. I've done 3 cars like this now with no problems.

I recognise that screenshot Westle ;)

I got quotes for these and were sky high (parts are here!) but here's the numbers:

14 (chain tensioner/camshaft adjuster gasket set) is B 058 198 217
18 (cam cover gasket) is B 058 198 025 A

Here's an updated screenshot for future reference:
gaskets.png

Very useful thread this :)

Ordered the parts from the part numbers posted above, prices have gone up a little as for both gasket kits total was about £40.

Followed the guide from the link posted but used the Westy method of changing the cam tensioner gasket. I found out there was actually 3 bolts on the tensioner itslef that needed removing and then 1 more that was inside to allow the tensioner to be easily lifted up to remove the old gaskets and half moon.

All back together and hopefully no more oil leak for me. I would say it took about 2-3 hours to do the job and this included cleaning up the inside of the rocker cover too.