AH FabricationsMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: sending my ecu off in post....

3rd Gear

Status

sending my ecu off in post....

...to get it mapped by Jason at more-bhp. read lots of good stuff and he is very reputable and for £99 i can't go 'that' far wrong. ecu took about 10min to take out which was great. post tomorrow and it'll be back on friday.

before anyone says it, no it won't be tested or rolling roaded but i have cleared all vag.com faults and for once everything is working, delivering correct boost, running smooth etc. Een if i could afford to pay revo i think i would still give this guy a go as he is very well reviewed.

so once i get the ecu back i assume all hell will break loose with stuff failing. looking for a heads up as have a 2 hour journey to make friday afternoon (i like winging it!) so far i can think of blowing intercooler pipes due to extra boost and boost leaks showing up as well as showing up any weakness in coilpacks (although mine is an agu so should be less of a problem) any other things to be aware of?

145,000 mile AGU 1.8T A3

cheers,

Steve
    Genuine Audi Pink A3 1.8T, stage 1 remap. Genuine Audi bodykit and Reiger front bumper, 18's, JOM coillies down 50mmish, dewipered, debadged, 007P, K&N, Janspeed exhaust, Bose and a few other bits and bobs!

WANTED: rubber mat which sits under ashtray in cubby hole
    drivers side wing mirror glass,
    bonnet in Devon area
    front brake discs for A3 1.8T

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    I used him years ago for agu mk4 golf ecu, no problems at all , got it back the next day

3rd Gear

Status
    i had the same sort of map on mine mate, 2k miles later and all is still spot on! holds 22psi strong and goes well
    99' a3 quattro - k03s, carbonio cai, simota cone filter, FMIC, raceland coilovers, fully polybushed, forge TIP, forge 007p, forge coolant hose kit, forge throttle body pipe, stainless catback, brembo pads, stage one map, black angel eyes, 17" radius r3's gt28rs coming very very soon

3rd Gear

Status
    Positive. Thanks.he said stage was only 200 which seems very cheap. Not enough cash though. He suggested getting fmic and do before stage 2. Definitely annotated enough money! Very excited.
    Genuine Audi Pink A3 1.8T, stage 1 remap. Genuine Audi bodykit and Reiger front bumper, 18's, JOM coillies down 50mmish, dewipered, debadged, 007P, K&N, Janspeed exhaust, Bose and a few other bits and bobs!

bonnet in Devon area

Noggies ruuuule!

Status
    I've used him too on my previous S3 - He did a custom coded remap because of problems with an existing map already loaded but it cam back within 3 days and his service was spot on.

3rd Gear

Status
    its gone. just posted it. £7 special delivery and insured for £500. I am SOO excited!!

bonnet in Devon area

1st Gear

Status
    Let us know how you get on, i would be very interested in doing this myself depending on how yours goes
    Last edited by Gavin G; 8th June 2011 at 15:14.

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin G View Post
    Let us know how you get on, i would be very interested in doing this myself depending on how yours goes
    +1

But the more-bhp website says they charge £199.00
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

3rd Gear

Status
    postal is £99. Fitted and checked by them is £199. Its actually £108 to allow for return postage.

bonnet in Devon area

3rd Gear

Status

bonnet in Devon area

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I wouldn't have thought to look on ebay to get a car remapped.....lol

I did a search on there and come across this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Golf-GTi-1-8T-Tuning-file-220-BHP-ECU-REMAP-Galetto-/170650110851?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item27bb8a0b83

Then that got me thinking so did a bit of searching and found this:

http://www.free-tuning.com/html/howitworks/cost_of_tuning/0-60videos/kwp2000-tuning-guide/video-demo/free-downloads.html

Not sure i would trust the files......lol

EDIT:

Just found that you can get R-tech to do a remap for an extra £50 (or make an offer....lol)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/R-Tech-Remap-Mk4-Golf-GTi-Bora-Audi-A3-1-8T-20v-150bhp-/150612275325?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM& hash=item231130f07d
    Last edited by A3 T; 9th June 2011 at 02:13.
    Audi A3 T sport (8l) AUM 2001..... Stage 1 Remap , Bailey DV30 , HID Headlights , LED Sidelights/Footwells , Catch Can , N249 Bypass , Tinted Windows .....

Status
    I would rather take it to a tuner,R-Tech are rather good

Double Dark Side! Diesel & 8P

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by voorhees View Post
    I would rather take it to a tuner,R-Tech are rather good
    After my past experience with generic maps and the amount of money I've just forked out on a new turbo I will only ever get a remap on a RR or a road test. Just my experience though.
    8P A3 TDI - 220bhp - 335lbft
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    Bye bye S3 you will be missed.
    S3 Build Thread

MAN OF STEEL

Status
    Same here westle, i think its essential, if you really care about your car. These postal types could simply be upping boost request and thats it, leaving you with a map like westles first one, a lean mean boost machine.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    Same here westle, i think its essential, if you really care about your car. These postal types could simply be upping boost request and thats it, leaving you with a map like westles first one, a lean mean boost machine.
    A lean mean turbo eating machine
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by superkarl View Post
    They could be but Jasons arnt, he has been doing it for years and is well respected in the VW community, most older ecus had to be flashed this way anyway...I think they have brought something out that can be done on the car now though..

Status
    I understand what you're saying Dave and i'm sure there are services, such as Jason's that do a very good job. Just because i've had a bad experience I'd always want to see what fueling is doing on a RR or road test.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

3rd Gear

Status
    thats the catch. thats why its only £100 and not £200, no testing to guarantee if it is working correctly. Although his reputation shows the maps work and produce the claimed figures. In theory running it on the RR will show up faults with my car, not with the remap? does that make sense?

If he wasn't reputable i wouldn't even consider it...that and the fact my car is not worth spending the money on really...

bonnet in Devon area

3rd Gear

Status
    Jason just called. Map is on the ecu with no problems and he has popped in the post special delivery and will arrive before 1pm. excited!!

bonnet in Devon area

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve bain View Post
    Jason just called. Map is on the ecu with no problems and he has popped in the post special delivery and will arrive before 1pm. excited!!
    Looking forward to the results.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Results?

3rd Gear

Status
    tomorrow mate.

will i have to change my spring in my forge dv 007p to the yellow one? how do i know if i am using the right spring?

bonnet in Devon area

3rd Gear

Status
    nah youll be alright mate, like i said im at 22 psi and im on the green spring with no problems.
    99' a3 quattro - k03s, carbonio cai, simota cone filter, FMIC, raceland coilovers, fully polybushed, forge TIP, forge 007p, forge coolant hose kit, forge throttle body pipe, stainless catback, brembo pads, stage one map, black angel eyes, 17" radius r3's gt28rs coming very very soon

3rd Gear

Status
    well, its just arrived. service is second to none. just have to wait to finish work now.....

bonnet in Devon area

3rd Gear

Status
    its in...an its a lot quicker! i understand the more i drive it the quicker it gets as it re adapts. only problem is it is boosting to around 9psi (was 7psi before) i need to speak to jason to find out what i should expect (i thought 14psi or so) but suspect boost leak somewhere.

off for the weekend now. laters...

bonnet in Devon area

1st Gear

Status
    Ive been waiting patiently all day on you replying Steve Seems to have done the job, look forward to your report when you get it properly run in, keep us updated and have a good weekend
    l6rth likes this.

1st Gear

Status
    Anymore to tell us about this Steve hows the car running?

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavin G View Post
    Anymore to tell us about this Steve hows the car running?
    Maybe he went up in a ball of flames
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

IF IN DOUBT GO FLAT OUT

Status
    think i found him lol

1st Gear

Status
    Bad men you lot! He maybe went back to the future? I still want one though

3rd Gear

Status
    right. it all went badly wrong and the turbo has seized...nah just kidding the acceleration is hugely different and it shows just how poor my tyres are! as others have said the turbo 'kicks' in now and is much louder!

I am still only getting 10psi boost max and i spoke to Jason today who said i should see around 14psi and pointed me the direction of the list below:
    MAF. replace or clean. try unplugging first
    N75. Although mine is good
    BOOST LEAKS. going to make a tester when i get a moment.
    ACTUATOR WEAK. not heard of this until today and a bit of research shows that the actuator on the AGU has a habit of wearing and the slack can be adjusted out. 1/4 turn at a time.

will have a play when i get a moment....

but so far. money well spent!

bonnet in Devon area

Status
    Good stuff Steve.

A remap always highlights other weaknesses. Now begins the long journey of chasing faults round the engine bay, good luck
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

1st Gear

Status
    Nice one Steve, i read the start of your message and near **** myself lol Sounds like money well spent for some nice gains .
    Now with me being the turtle like i am, can anyone give me clear instructions on how to locate, remove and replace my ecu, preferably with pics so i can get this done? I have googled it and i have searched on this forum but nothing of help is available. Mine is a A3 2002 1.8t (AUM)

3rd Gear

Status
    assuming same as mine.

1. lift bonnet
    2. remove both windscreen wiper (13mm nut) undo not and wiggle / lever to get off. bit of a pain but wiggling will sort. and wd40
    3. remove rubber strip along front lip
    4. remove tray. it is held in along the bottom of windscreen. bit of gentle levering needed but don't be too rough. washer jets heater and plumbing can be removed. I just want ed to get as best access as possible so i could see.
    5. try and get the bloody thing out! seems to long but does bend a very little bit and will go.
    6. I removed wiper mechanism but not sure i needed too. was a bit over excited (3 x 10mm nuts and wiring plug underneath.
    7. right in the middle is the ecu. 2 plugs with slider that slide away from each other and plugs just pop off.
    8. ECU held in with pressure so juts needs a bit of a shove from behind and slides out.

9. refit reverse of removal.

bonnet in Devon area

Lord Of The Rings

Status
    I'm glad this has worked out for you mate

I'm still thinking for the extra £50 you could get r-tech to do it properly.

3rd Gear

Status
    you could get r-tech to do it properly.
    is it £150 for a postal or drive in, rr etc etc? if its postal then thats £50 for the brand imo (Tesco Baked beans being made my Heinz etc). I just cannot see what why one flash is better than another. its the actual setting which are important and i bet Jason used to work for one of these larger firms at one point or another, he certainly knew what he was talking about. It just a different map. It produces the same bhp and torque as r-tech too.

If it was drive in tested for £150 then yeah, r-tech do seem cheap.

bonnet in Devon area

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    He used to work for chipped uk i believe...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by steve bain View Post
    is it £150 for a postal or drive in, rr etc etc? if its postal then thats £50 for the brand imo (Tesco Baked beans being made my Heinz etc). I just cannot see what why one flash is better than another. its the actual setting which are important and i bet Jason used to work for one of these larger firms at one point or another, he certainly knew what he was talking about. It just a different map. It produces the same bhp and torque as r-tech too.

If it was drive in tested for £150 then yeah, r-tech do seem cheap.
    The benefit of a RR or road test after a map is to get the very best out of the specific vehicle. You say how can one map be much different from another, they aren't (as long as boost hasn't just been increased) but each vehicle is different. Your A3 will be slightly different to the next A3 and this is where the RR comes in. The tech can then tweak fueling, ignition timing, and boost to the specific vehicle depending on how well it's running etc.
    A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Audi A-Trizzle!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by s3dave View Post
    He used to work for chipped uk i believe...
    chippeduk managed to screw up my old map on my 1.8TQ. It only reached 198bhp and was running rich.

Put a revo on it and it hit 216bhp

Audi A3 1.8T Sport (AGU) - 2000
    Engine: Carbonio CAI/Jetex JR Hybrid Induction, Forge 007p DV, Forge TIP, Longlife S/S Custom Exhaust system, R-Tech Stage 1 Remap, Creation Motorsport Boost Pipe Kit.
    Exterior and Chassis: 18" Cades Tyrus, Euro Wipers, low on JOM Coilovers, Eibach Front & Rear ARB's, Black Angel Eye Headlights, 6000K HID's, S3 Brakes.
    For Sale PM ME - £2500 Mods Inc

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA3 View Post
    chippeduk managed to screw up my old map on my 1.8TQ. It only reached 198bhp and was running rich.

Put a revo on it and it hit 216bhp
    I wont even start to talk about Chipped UK! A picture tells a thousand words:

A3 Maintenance Thread
    S3 Build Thread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast