oil pick up and dip stick renewal?

bazil

BOOM BOOM
Reaction score
Hi guys, on a recent drive out through Hells Glen and the Rest and be Thankfull i had the unpleasent sight of an oil pressure warning, now ive had this before but the car was taken to glasgow audi and a fault was discovered at the sensor which was duly replaced, but this time i read the codes ( cheap ebay scaner ) and no fault code was shown so i believe i may be suffering from a clogged pick up.

I'm planning on replacing the pick up and dip stick as ive read on here that both can cause problems, however i have not found a "how to" does one exist and should i do any other work whilst doing this replacement work?

If there is no how to is it worth me doing one as i do the job?

thanks cheif, though i feel like a **** now seeing the thraed was bumped a week ago:laugh:

any advice on an engine flush? on my nova i always used a wynns engine flush

When my pick up went it cost £127 all in Labour, parts and flush. @ local aproved ( Audi-Mototsport) main dealer wanted £600 ust to Strip & look ... can't remember what flush they used sorry, But I remember he said not to use Wynns for some reason or other.

wynns always seemed a little harsh to me on my E16SE nova, so maybe it could be a little destructive on my APY, maybe a oil change after 250 miles might be a better option than a flush

They did flush it to get all the **** out, and there was loads, new oil then i changed again @ 300. Been totally fine since ;)

Might be called forte or somat like that. audi main dealer recomend it what ever i is dude

ah-ha, think this may be the stuff

motor_flush_sml.jpg

well a little trip into Glasgow Audi and im now £93.55 lighter in my wallet lol
but i got
oil filter
o-ring seal for the pick up pipe
suction pipe ( only £8.23, such a small price compared to a rebuild of an engine!)
sump plug
dip stick guide
and a tube of sealant
Total- £45.55 inc vat

I thought about replacing the oil feed pipe to the turbo but at £80ish i gave it a miss.

also 5 litres of oil £48, which i though was not a bad price compared to Halrauds wanting £49.95 for 4 litres of castrol.
so looks like im having fun tomorrow.

fb83048d.jpg

Hey Bazil, could you PM me the part #s for the o-ring seal for pick-up pipe, suction pipe, sump plug and sealant (for the sump?) please? Still need to do mine...

emm im not sure how much of the part number you need so ive done this instead :laugh: hope it helps

P1000978.jpg

well im glad i done this today!!!

slight heart attack when the oil pressure warning light came on 8 mins into the engine flush, so i shut it down, the oil was like water lol, anyway a massive thanks to this forum as i would never have know about the pick up pipe problems and probably killed my engine.

P1010037.jpg

P1010047.jpg

P5230097.jpg

P5230091.jpg

P5230101.jpg

P5230098.jpg

P5230104.jpg

P1010054.jpg

P5230105.jpg

P5230106.jpg

P5230107.jpg

its a easy job but a slow one, i had the car jacked up the sat back down with the wheels on breezeblocks, so the biggest issue is getting under it, the guide posted above was very helpfull, if you plan to take all day doing the job youll be fine, the hardest part is the 3 10mm sump bolt next to the gear box, a mormal socket will chew the head as it does not fit on square, its best to use a normal allen key to undo and refit those,

if you do plan on doing it just make sure all surfaces are clean of old sealent and oil free before refitting.

if you plan on using an engine flush then watch the dash as my oil pressure light came on during the flush,

and yeah its rather messy lol, make sure you have plenty of clean cloth/paper towel for cleaning up.

Good work..... that pickup looks nasty, one of the worse i've seen without it being catastrophic.... looks like you caught it just in time :)

Bazil, great photos, thanks for posting. Can you give an idea of what mileage intervals the car has been serviced on and what mileage you have got up to? About to do my car on 93k that has had oil changed every 10k. Thinking I might skip the flush.

mine has been serviced by audi at 25,000 , 60,000 then 80,000 with belt changes too, it now has 99,960 miles, to me it looks like the longlife servicing will actuall kill these engines, i'll also add that catrol oil to the vag spec has always been used by myself on top ups, so its never had crap oil in it,

Thank 666, i hope to cover many more miles in it.