cambelt change

R1KVX

Reaction score
Hi guys any ideas on what mileage the cambelt should be changed?

If you are talking about an S3, I believe the cambelt should be changed at either 60k or 5 years, which ever comes first.

If you are not sure if it has been changed at the correct intervals its not worth risking it, and you should get it changed.

The last thing you want is it to snap :sadlike:

whats the intervals on the 150bhp 1.8ts for cambelts?

I would say between 50-60k....it was initially down as 80k, but there was alot of feedback on belts snapping gone 60k, if you are not sure if the car has had one done and you are over that mileage, get it done asap.

I had mine done at 55k and then another one at 110k....also if its the 2nd one or gone over 80k, it might be worth getting the dampener/tensioner and waterpump all done at the same time as well.

from checking paperwork belts done about 40k so its got (theoretically) 10k safe use and despite regular stamps no side notes/receipts regarding water pump etc. Think shes on her 3rd belt soon be due a 4th.

The book say's 150k on the A3, which is pushing it a bit I think, 60k would be safer, I managed to do mine a few weeks ago, did the belt, tentioner, idler, damper and the water pump, all for £112 from a local motor factors, so its alot cheaper if you do it yourself.

I would say between 50-60k....it was initially down as 80k, but there was alot of feedback on belts snapping gone 60k, if you are not sure if the car has had one done and you are over that mileage, get it done asap.

I had mine done at 55k and then another one at 110k....also if its the 2nd one or gone over 80k, it might be worth getting the dampener/tensioner and waterpump all done at the same time as well.

Had my second belt change a few months ago. Definitely change the hydraulic damper.