A3 3rd Brake Light Bulbs

SunnyB

Reaction score
Hi,

A few of my bulbs have gone out from the 3rd brake light on my 97 a3 turbo have gone out. These are not LED but capless wedge base type. spec ; 12v 2.3w 1.cp (Took from bulb holder).

I've seen on another forum, someone replacing these bulbs with LEDs and stating they were straight plug-ins, no resistors or anything required but did noit state type of led ;

Lingo's Audi A3 Project (8L to 8P Style Conversion). Warning: Picture-Heavy Thread!!

Does any body know specifically what type of LED will fit as a straight swap.

I was looking at these on ebay :

10 x T5 LED 74 Mini-Wedge Bulbs Blue 12 volt DC Red on eBay (end time 26-Jun-11 10:31:23 BST)

Anybody done this replacement before ??

Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

More and more professional led lights tech information on the topledsupplier website.

Totally off subject but I replaced the target lights on my technics turntables with LEDs and you need to know the input voltage and current of the circuit, then there are several online calculators that tell you what voltage regulators and resistors are required to match a certain typed of led. Hopes this of some help.

Also try maplins for LEDs, although you may have to order, when I bought mine they only had 1x 3mm led in stock!! Ridiculous

Steve

my lights are gone to on rear! how many bulbs are there? as a few work still.

I've seen on another forum, someone replacing these bulbs with LEDs and stating they were straight plug-ins, no resistors or anything required but did noit state type of led ;

I asked him the question but he wasn't any help with part number "You can find them on eBay or any automotive lighting website." Well I can't find them.....

I asked him the question but he wasn't any help with part number "You can find them on eBay or any automotive lighting website." Well I can't find them.....

Hi mate,

If you take the current and voltage across one of the bulbs you will be able to find a suitable led on the net. LEDs do not respond well to being run on the incorrect voltage and current a far as I'm aware, they may work but can cause reliability problems.

Thanks guys,

I''ve ordered some from ebay, only about £1.50 incl p&p so thought id give them a go. I'm trying to find the link to the forum i read it on before. Will let you guys know if they work.

Also, I'm changing the interior bulbs in the car with smd leds. I'va managed to change the the front main and rear light and the bulbs under the visors but the reading light bulbs dont seem to work. I've also changed the the number plate bulbs to these and they all see to work except the reading lights. i thinking they may be dodgy bulbs???

Two of mine have gone so I got replacements from Audi - After finding out the type pf bulb they were I really couldn;t be ***** shopping around to dind what I needed.

Still yet to fit them though.

How much were they from Audi . Has any body got a link from eBay to the same bulbs please??

Far from cheap unfortunately. But at least I didn't risk buying the wrong ones and I knew i would get them within 2 days. About £1.50 each :( they are flipping tiny things!

Like you said you can probs get cheaper. I only wanted two originally but you know what bulbs are like - you replace one and then the other goes lol

I've had a look on ebay but cant find wedge base bulbs that are 2.3w only 1.2w. I tried Maplins, they didn't stock 12v. I think Halfords did have them at about £2 per bulb I think.

How did you get on with the ebay jobbies sunnybath?

Hey Dani, sorry for the late reply. Bulbs from ebay worked perfect, all still working. Cant complain for £7.99. Only thing is the wait for delivery from Honk Kong.