The phantom clunk...

Welly

335D Driver :-)
Reaction score
That's it, I have decided this now MUST be found. (For those who don't know I have been chasing a clunk now for about 9 months - no idea what it is, it's baffling). Some thing is shifting about down there that shouldn't be.

It's driving me absolutely insane.

I am trying to decide what is the best course of action to take.

It could be the rack, but I don't think it is. It's more under weight shifting.

It could be the shocks, but again I don't think it is. I've checked them and they seem fine, and it seems deeper in the car.

So, what I propose to do is:

1) Drop the subframe.
2) Poly bush the ARB.
3) Poly bush the steering rack.
4) Replace rear subframe bushes.

Then drive and see if it's fixed it.

If not, I will cry....

since you are doing all that, would be worth doing the shocks or any thing else that you think it could may be possible not sure worth a go coule be?

strut tops?

since you are doing all that, would be worth doing the shocks or any thing else that you think it could may be possible not sure worth a go coule be?

strut tops?

Strut tops have been done, and I checked the shocks out whilst doing them.

It's such a hard thing to describe, something is physically moving about. All the time, even over undulations on the motorway for example, you can always feel something there moving about.

I have changed all the suspension components pretty much now.

Putting new subframe bolts in did change it's characteristics, which makes me suspicious of the frame.

I have changed:

Bottom ball joints, track rod ends, rear wishbone bushes, strut tops, ARB bushes, CV joints, driveshafts, rear engine mount, drop links, calipers, hangers, discs.

As you can imagine, I just want it to go away now...

Last edited:
Is it a heavy clonking sound or faint? and can it be felt at all when it happens

Is it a heavy clonking sound or faint? and can it be felt at all when it happens

Oh, it's loud loud, and you can feel is very positively through the floor. From outside it sounds very metallic, almost like a snap sound.

Does it on turning left and right, and acceleration and braking hard. It ONLY does it when moving. You simply cannot replicate the sound when stationary - left to right lock doesn't do it making me think it's not the rack.

Does also do it occasionally all on it's own for no reason at all.

its not something silly like the spring not sitting right on the damper? i would have thought that would be a once off noise though

having experienced the clunk it felt and sounded like it was coming from the passenger side, IMO

Could it be the subframe moving Welly?

I've never had it during road use, but on track, under extreme direction changes or braking (I havn't got the power to do it under accel) I find my subframe moves around with a loud clonk!

tried new bolts, and torquing them up to near braking point, and it still happens. I'm wondering if it's possible to solid mount the subframe somehow.

Just thinking, as you've got lots of power, it could be causing it to move around a bit more?

its not something silly like the spring not sitting right on the damper? i would have thought that would be a once off noise though

Nope, springs are sat fine, I located them myself. I checked for tell marks on the damper, none there.

having experienced the clunk it felt and sounded like it was coming from the passenger side, IMO

It is sometimes, but equally often it feels drivers side.

Could it be the subframe moving Welly?

I've never had it during road use, but on track, under extreme direction changes or braking (I havn't got the power to do it under accel) I find my subframe moves around with a loud clonk!

tried new bolts, and torquing them up to near braking point, and it still happens. I'm wondering if it's possible to solid mount the subframe somehow.

Just thinking, as you've got lots of power, it could be causing it to move around a bit more?

It did it before, even with the K04, and it's been getting progressively worse for months. I do suspect the sub frame isn't quite right, or something attached to it perhaps. Rack is a possibility, not sat correctly, hence planning to poly bush it.

I changed the sub frame bolts as I said, which made no odds.

Done, not that.

if its loud loud im with prawn on subframe anything else just wouldnt be as loud but youd think you could feel it through the wheel. spray a little bit of paint around the bolts then go for a drive. then inspect as it sould leave a mark if it moves

I have one too. Doing a 3 point turn and pressing clutch and braking while on full lock 'thud'. I also found this weeekrnd that my drop link hits my caliper on the brake pipe bolt, don't know if it does it on the floor tho, only jacked up, but the two should move in unison

if its loud loud im with prawn on subframe anything else just wouldnt be as loud but youd think you could feel it through the wheel. spray a little bit of paint around the bolts then go for a drive. then inspect as it sould leave a mark if it moves

Nothing through the wheel, BUT you can REALLY feel it through the cabin floor (to which the back of the subframe is bolted....)

Oh, it's loud loud, and you can feel is very positively through the floor. From outside it sounds very metallic, almost like a snap sound.

Does it on turning left and right, and acceleration and braking hard. It ONLY does it when moving. You simply cannot replicate the sound when stationary - left to right lock doesn't do it making me think it's not the rack.

Does also do it occasionally all on it's own for no reason at all.

That sounds 100% like what I'm getting from the Pug (sorry to swear).
Part of me is thinking bearing/drive shaft.

Have you thought about recreating the sound at low speeds and getting someone to be by the side of the car as you do it?

I also have something similar since i had a bracket made up for may exhaust, it seems to come from the centre of the car under the armrest. Mine also can be heard and felt but only when im not moving and seems to be pretty regular in occurance like every 10 seconds until the car has been sitting about 5 mins. Puzzling :uhm:

That sounds 100% like what I'm getting from the Pug (sorry to swear).
Part of me is thinking bearing/drive shaft.

Have you thought about recreating the sound at low speeds and getting someone to be by the side of the car as you do it?

Tried that, but because it's deep (for the want of a better expression) you can't get any idea where it is or isn't coming from.

I also have something similar since i had a bracket made up for may exhaust, it seems to come from the centre of the car under the armrest. Mine also can be heard and felt but only when im not moving and seems to be pretty regular in occurance like every 10 seconds until the car has been sitting about 5 mins. Puzzling :uhm:

I've had 3 different downpipes on there, all that fit differently, so I doubt it's that to be honest. Good thought though.

have you took it to them garages that have that thing where u put ya wheels on it and it shakes the car round? mayeb here out for that? as u can under the car to while it does that

have you took it to them garages that have that thing where u put ya wheels on it and it shakes the car round? mayeb here out for that? as u can under the car to while it does that

Been on one of those at MOT time - nothing. Not a peep form anything.

You still on the original dampers Welly? I think it'll be those:sly:

It could be dude, however I'm leaning towards the ARB now I think....

When I get 5 mins I am going to disconnect and remove the drop links and drive it - ARB will be under no tension so if it is that, it's going to do something to the sound.

id guess its the subframe out of all of the above. Only thing described that could make a hefty clunk.