Sell the S3 for a Mk 1 Focus RS ??

S3JSR

Reaction score
Hi All

I have had my S3 for about a year and love it. But I only keep motors for about that time so I may move on in August Sep time. It's only done about 2000 miles over the year! lol

So the question is what next. This is a third car so gets little use and mpg isn't really an issue. I am tempted by the Mk 1 Focus RS.

The big question is what do you all think. Has anyone had one / driven one etc. I keep my cars standard as I sell them so often, so will find an out of the box standard Focus if i decide to go for it.

Let the debate begin....

Ive driven on and also like the look of them..
That said though, They hold their money very well so i would imagine the S3 plus fome money to change,
In standard form... not too mega. Underpowered to be honest or maybe i expected something wild for the the RS badge,
most interia's in them ive seen havent weathered too well so... to get a good one its a lot of money, there was one at the local ford dealers and it was £13k
which to me is too much

Tell you what good cars that handle well, (see me get punished here lol) the Renault Megan 225 or the Honda Integra DC5 a very capable motor.

On par performance wise but as Paul says, very expensive, I dont get it myself. I bet theyre fun to drive though, more, raw if you know what I mean, not as much to them

From reviews iv read in the past the focus is said to have a great chassis and excellent handling.

DC

Just one thing
It's a ford focus
And as for that dashboard ????
It's not for me no matter how good it is

FORD (Fix or repair daily)

depends on what you want the car as much as i dont like vtec the integra is a track weapon as you can keep it in vtec and it will be very hard to catch,
if it was me either a pulsar gtr or a celica gt4

Wouldn't fancy one myself. But I'm really not one for ricer wagons either. I'd be massively tempted by an s2 Elise after the s3 personally

vx220 turbo instead of the s2 elise

Reactions: fran-s3
The over powering blue detail on the interior puts me right off. But always loved my rs turbo and xr3i. TAXI FOR ONE. :undwech:

rx7 could be another one the noise of those things when reved hard is awesome nice bit of sideways fun carnt go wrong hehe

we have a mint MK1 focus RS when the nipper goes to nursery. you could eat your dinner off it, having said that is looks soooo dated now, also 2WD, its a FORD (first on rubbish dump), my advise stay well clear and get a Mazda 3 MPS... its what I may swap my S3 2003 in minge blue for....

If it's a 3rd car I have no idea why you'd get a family hatchback like an S3 or Focus. They might be quite quick but they're still shopping trolleys.

Get a proper fun car like a Caterham, Elise or something.
Or go mad and get a modified classic.

And don't listen to people like Jojo ;) who tell you the Elise is hard to get out of, it's all part of the fun. Try driving an MG Midget for 9 years as a daily driver in all conditions the Scottish weather provides!

I'd be looking for a Caterham or similar if I were you.

My mates dad had a Elise and it was great fun, had some engine work done so it was nippy as hell and the sound from it was stunning.

My mate used to borrow it all the time, didn't look to good getting in and out of it though with the roof on, me being 6"2 and my mate being 6"4, I can imagine we got a few laughs from passers by.

Have you ever tried to get out of one? Good cars, but really rather tight inside, I had to roll out of the passenger side! lol

:yes: im only small 5ft6 so nice and easy get in and out

MK1 Elise with a 1.8t in it. Guy i knew in MK had one and it was rather amusing to say the least.

i owned one for 2 years, as a second car i used to abuse it but under load and pushing it the quaife used to lock and pull in that direction, a bit un nervy, i then had it remapped and intercooler and had around 290bhp and felt quick, however i then bought a 400bhp Evo 8 and then it felt like it was on tea trays, all in all a good car but underpowered but as soon as you raise the power you lose the grip levels that make it good at cornering and just get loads of wheel spin and a really really hard ride!!!

i did 8k in mine and then part ex'd for my RS4, definitely the best decision.

Anyone seen that Elise S1 with R32 engine? Bonkers! That thing slays Porsche GT3s with ease on the track, there's a video on youtube.
Now, stick a turbo on that too...

:whistle2:

fordcircleproblem.jpg

Wouldn't fancy one myself. But I'm really not one for ricer wagons either. I'd be massively tempted by an s2 Elise after the s3 personally

Agree with that. I do think the Mk1 RS Focus is a great looking car externally, but internally it's a bit of a shocker. Blue leather steering wheel anyone?? And performance isn't fantastic.

When I bought my S3 2 years ago it came down to a choice of that or a S1 Elise. Completely different cars but somehow it's the choice I ended up with.

Wow

Good replies thanx.

A few points:

I like the raw look of it.

Agree the S3 interior really is a work of art

Had at least 10 classics and don't fancy the grief and maintenance of them again, had fires, clutches, brake failures, panels falling off electrical gremlins and overheating too many times

Fact is my S3 is fantastically reliable but just a bit boring.....

As for the Ford bashing lol.... truth is probably no less reliable than our S3's. Friends in the trade all laugh about my S3 and the price of repairs, have a different opinion of the Ford, they love them.

As for the interior I can only agree, it is a shocker..

So what do I do...

As I am kinda in the trade it will really come down to opportunity, if one comes along and I see an opportunity to out my S3 at the right price, then the deal may happen. In the meantime off to google some of your suggestions... Lotus, caterham, S4 and a few others. Thanks all,

Any more comments are welcome.

You've got to ask yourself what you want from a car. The Lotus & Caterham are a pretty similar experience, but then you list the S4...? Do you want some performance but in a comfort/quality package, or are you after performance & handling in a more focussed (escuse the pun) package?

Then again don't ask me because as I say I was looking at an S3 vs a S1 Elise...:confused: