Miss matching tyres. would this create a noise over 60mph?

hank3944

Reaction score
I bought the car with different tyres all round, I look to change the wheels/tyres in time

Just wondering what your experiences are with differnt tyres, would this create a rumbling noise over 60mph, fyi, wheels have been balanced a week ago and its still doing it....

Thanks,

its not a balance issue. its a rumbling isse. although odd tyres won't cause this, cheap tyres can. so may just be one of your mismatched tyres is a noisy one. Steve

are any of the tyres slightly out of shape? run your hands around them, do they seem round? any "steps" inbetween the heights of the blocks of tread? flat spots? etc.

wheels out of balance,
wheels out of shape,
water in wheels....,
wheel bearings,
spigot rings

...you only get a rumbling noise? No vibration through the wheel?...cheap tyres?

The previous owner may have put partworn tyres on which can cause these kind of issues due to uneven wear across the tyre

wheels out of balance,
wheels out of shape,
water in wheels....,
wheel bearings,
spigot rings

...you only get a rumbling noise? No vibration through the wheel?...cheap tyres?

Where does one start??????? £££££££££:search:

yeah, sorry bud :)

you say you had them balanced last week, so i guess you can tick that off the list

standard alloys? if yes then tick spigot rings off the list

get your car jacked up and see if there is any play in the wheel bearings, if your not sure, get a mechanic to do it, shouldnt take long....then its tick or no tick

wheels out of shape, dont know how to check that, take them off and roll them down the road and see if they roll oddly?? tick or no tick

water in wheels? does it sound like there is water in them :)