Looking to buy an S3, advice needed please!

RobD88

Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my first post on here, I'm looking to get rid of my Golf 4motion and buy an S3. Don't really want to spend more than about £5k on the S3. Not really that fussed whether it's pre or post facelift to be honest as long as it's in good condition.

Anyway I found the the one below on autotrader, was wondering if anyone could give me their opinions on whether this looks decent?

2000 AUDI S3 1.8 QUATTRO

I thought it seemed a little steep for a pre facelift but it is low mileage and sounds like it's in pretty good condition and having looked at the dealer's website they seem pretty reputable.

Any thoughts anyone has on this would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Rob

It is low mileage and looks good condition, but for the money I would want a facelift,
I spent £3500 on mine exactly the same as this but with about 15k more miles on it and 6 months older.

I could've put £1500 towards it and got a facelift similar on a 51/02 , and i wish I did tbh, I'm only keeping mine because Ive started to do some work on it.

Go see one of each, the headlinig is much nicer on facelifts, the plastic material covering the dash and door cards etc is nicer, and of course so are the front and rear lights, they also have that new Audi smell, my pre has the old Audi smell, lol.

dont rush in to anything pal, chances are a much better car will come up in the next few weeks.

Welcome to ASN Rob, I'd agree it's a tad overpriced, so haggle like mad, but if it's MINT condition, then I guess someone would be willing to pay that sum for this car.

I've had some head to heads back in the day against a mate with a V6 4motion, there's very little in it(204bhp vs 210bhp), S3 just edges it, of course, a remapped S3 will pull away, but you will miss the V6 exhaust note and the flexible torque of 2.8L, and you will have better fuel economy and slightly better handling.

if you do buy it, i will swap wheels with you mine are origional wheels in v-good condition with very good tyres.

Cheers for the replies guys, pretty much what I was thinking to be honest. I might go and have a look at it just because I've only taken one out for a test drive so far and that was a facelifted one on a 51 plate so it would be good to see the differences in the flesh and see whether I can feel any difference between the 210 and the 225.

That one in the ebay link looks lovely mate, I'm in Essex though so it would be a bit of a mission for me.

Definitely gonna miss the exhaust note from the V6 jojo! Had it for a year or so now though and I fancy a change and I've always loved S3's, also the Golf's costing me a fortune in petrol at the moment.

I think they want to much money for that S3..... In my opinion about 4 grand or less.... As for the petrol wait till you start raggin your s3 about with 98ron gravy..... They f@@kin gargle it mate:whistle2:

Rob, mine is informally for sale for the right price, as I am looking to move to an A4 for rear doors and a bit more boot space. 88k, just had new clutch, cam belt and VVT unit 3k ago.

PM me if interested.

Cheers,