Both fans running from the off help please

wesser99

Reaction score
Hi there both my fans run straight from the off as soon as i start the engine and then will continue to run long after i have turned the engine off and locked the car also not sure if its due to this but engine doesnt get up to temp either sitting at 80ish
thanks

sounds like it will be the radiator fan switch (£10 part), or possibly the engine temp sendor switch (£10)

where is the engine temp sendor switch or is it the coolant temp sendor

ha! i made this mistake too! turn the ac off and fans stop. problem solved.

no air con is off very rarely use it to be honest, the fans just come on straight away and then you can lock the car up and go back out in say an hour and there still be running so i have to pull the fuse out to stop them

OK, fair enough. Best to check the obvious things first.

It is likely (99%) to be one of the two coolant switches.

Firstly, you say the car runs at 80ish deg C on the dash which isn't right.

VAG COM scan would help and most likely identify the problem - however it pretty likely to be one of the two sensors. Change them both. All will be well.

ive got a new coolant temp sensor sitting on the side waiting for the car to get back from having an mot which has been 3 days whoever says having a brother who has a garage is good is very wrong car just sits there being ignored lol also is the other sensor the radiator fan switch or something else welly. would ask my brother but in all honesty i'll get it done quicker asking here then doing it

ive got a new coolant temp sensor sitting on the side waiting for the car to get back from having an mot which has been 3 days whoever says having a brother who has a garage is good is very wrong car just sits there being ignored lol also is the other sensor the radiator fan switch or something else welly. would ask my brother but in all honesty i'll get it done quicker asking here then doing it

Could be, and is the more likely.... BUT since you have a new CTS to use already, I'd start with that.

cheers i'll chase it up now and hopefully do it tomorrow