front grille advice?

syski999

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I have recently fitted a badge less mesh grill to the front of my 1.8t a few weeks back, and I noticed after putting the bumper back on there is a piece of plastic that wouldn’t be noticeable with the original grille on, I’m guessing its extra protection to stop stones etc hitting the rad. obviously now I’ve got the mesh grille on its very noticeable and doesn’t cover the whole of the grille so looks a bit odd. My Question is has anyone else had a problem with this? is it easy to remove? i.e. with a Stanley knife? Or should I leave it in place? i'm pretty sure ive seen pics of other a3's on here with mesh grilles without this plastic guard thing? Any thoughts ideas or tips would be helpful

Last edited:
I cut mine off using a jig saw - I assume you are on about the plastic guard that is apart of the bumper.

I only lost it to allow better flow of air through the grille.

yep that is exactly what im talking about,i didn't think about using a jig saw gr8 idea thanks! :o.k:

I did mine whilst bumper was off the car though so had a bit more room for manoeuvre

Cheers wizza, yeah i was gonna take the bumper off again in the morning, and hack it off lol!!

Simple enough :) just make sure you don;t cut into any clip/pin locations :lol: well that's if your new grille needs them, but always useful incase you want to replace the original grill :)