Engine Swap!

Sevv

Pushing the limits..
Reaction score
Hey guys was wondering if any know whether u can convert a FWD to an AWD by any change. since im looking at a Toyota Supra 2JZ80 engine twin turbo to shove in. considering that the audi engines come West to east compared to the enginelike VW and Toyota etc.. North South ( not sideways pretty much ) would i be able to fit it in my 1.8T FWD A3? by any chance i know a VW r32 engine fits while this engine is 2.5LTr 300BHP. last post didn't attract too much attention though i would really be very grateful for sum pointer and aid. im only looking at a Toyota engine as its bullet proof and well i live in the middle of no where Aussie Land folks cheaper for me.

Last edited:
thats a pretty specific question that i expect narrrows down your audience somewhat. I have no idea if a Toyota Supra 2JZ80 Longitudinal (N-S?) engine fits in an A3 8L transverse (E-W) engine bay. I'm pretty sure VW golf chassis are transverse including the R32.

2.5 ltr R32? is that a MKV golf or MKIV?

Where in Aus are you?

If I understand you correctly you wish to fit a large inline supra engine into a FWD transverse engined A3 and convert it to AWD?

TBH mate if you have to ask then no... 'you' can't do it... however.... if you are willing to spaceframe/jig the body shell and fabricate transmission tunnels, bulk heads etc then go for it but no, it won't just fit...

There was a S3 on here that was converted to use an RS4 twin turbo V6 and torsion AWD running gear but from what I understand it was a hell of a lot of work...

1.8t's can be tuned to over 700bhp with the right bits and get yourself an S3 or A3 Quattro to start with if you want AWD and less work..

<tuffty/>

Im in sydney , New South Whales around Bankstown but its so hard to find cheap parts for this car already spent 4000$ on this baby :(

thats a pretty specific question that i expect narrrows down your audience somewhat. I have no idea if a Toyota Supra 2JZ80 Longitudinal (N-S?) engine fits in an A3 8L transverse (E-W) engine bay. I'm pretty sure VW golf chassis are transverse including the R32.

2.5 ltr R32? is that a MKV golf or MKIV?

Where in Aus are you?

Mk4 chassis cars (Golf, A3, S3, TT etc) are transverse... A4, Passat etc are longitudal

R32 engines will fit but won't give you any real advantage over a decently tuned 1.8t

<tuffty/>

Go for a turbo r32 engine its easier being transverse while being able to acccomodate 4wd. You'd best start off with a quattro though.
I've always wondered/dreamed whether actaul quattro running gear could be used in the 8l as opposed to the haldex, I imagine its a lot simpler and reliable

Ah rgr, i wanted around 700-800 BHP and im willing to spend 7 grandish on the Engine bay without upgrading suspension and brakes. so basically it wont fit. by the way an S3 in Australia is SOOO expensive around 10,000 pounds in the UK. that's why this car has cost me enough as is it lol. so my best choice is a BAM 1.8 Turbo ? can i make it AWD or will it not work on a FWD chassis ? i would also like to thank everyone who replied i really appreciate it :)

Bill runs 700 odd brake in his racing fwd Ibiza from a 1.8T so its do able

Ah rgr, i wanted around 700-800 BHP and im willing to spend 7 grandish on the Engine bay without upgrading suspension and brakes. so basically it wont fit. by the way an S3 in Australia is SOOO expensive around 10,000 pounds in the UK. that's why this car has cost me enough as is it lol. so my best choice is a BAM 1.8 Turbo ? can i make it AWD or will it not work on a FWD chassis ? i would also like to thank everyone who replied i really appreciate it :)

guys please excuse me as im quite tipsy though i meant a R32 engine would it work on a FWD and can i convert it into a AWD by any chance ?

the funyn thing is that i can pick up an R33 Skyline that can handle 1500BHP for 5 grand but i love the A3

FWD and AWD mk4 chassis are different... rear beam on FWD and linked trailing arms on quattro with rear floor pan changes to accommodate haldex/rear diff subframe

<tuffty/>

So you want 700-800bhp without upgrading brakes or suspension thats sounds like a great idea

i think he meant his budget for the engine is 7k and has a seperate pot for the suspension?

ah damn so much for my dream lol but thanks so much tuffy so best to stick with 1.8t or 3.2 v6 ? esp 4 FWD knowing it will spin allot the front wheels that is

a supra engine in a audi wtf if i was you i would go buy the skyline if you after 800bhp cost less as you live in aus

ah damn so much for my dream lol but thanks so much tuffy so best to stick with 1.8t or 3.2 v6 ? esp 4 FWD knowing it will spin allot the front wheels that is

Largely depends on what you are trying to achieve tbh... I was recently involved in building a 450bhp SEAT Ibiza, that kinda power can but put through the front wheels but you have to do a bit of work to do it...

AWD is the best way to get that kinda power down but if you plan to strip the car like Prawn on this very forum has done and build a fast FWD track car then you don't need more than 300bhp... if you want figures and a pocket rocket then AWD is going to be the way forward...

The 3.2 isn't going to help the handling and you can get more power from a 1.8t more easily and cheaply than the 3.2 and get a better handling car to boot...

<tuffty/>

Im in sydney , New South Whales around Bankstown but its so hard to find cheap parts for this car already spent 4000$ on this baby :(

Australia is a joke when it comes to car prices. When I lived in Sydney, cars the same as mine were going for about $13,000 (about £9k at todays xrate). I personally would buy a A3 quattro/S3 from the start as less messing around.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/dealer/details.aspx?R=10676565&__Qpb=true&Cr=1&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=1216%201247%201252%201282%204294967194%204294967179%20412%20898&silo=1011&PriceTo=412&seot=1&tsrc=allcarhome&__Nne=15&trecs=5&__sid=13048325757F

As you see fellas, a 10 year old S3 quattro for 20,000$ which i converted it on xe.com comming up to 13,000 Pounds..

Sucks to live in Aussie Land when u compare it to a skyline its around 2.5 to 3,000 Pounds stock engine 275BHP 2.5ltr engine too.

though Coppers target them quite frequently an Audi would be a sleeper if u know wat i mean compared to a Skyline Besides this Hot hatch is my weakness lol and i love it.

again thanks everyone fro your help as this has been one of my main issues. Cheers

yes Cookstien, im already getting some B8's and Eibach springs with Brembo GT brakes costing me 3.5 G's tough 7 grand is for the engine bay alone.

my mate fitted a bmw engine, drivechain, axles etc. to a mk1 golf. he basically fitted the top of a golf mk1 to the bottom of the rear wheel drive beemer. lots and lots of work and it looked oem so was very cool.

what i was thinking is buy a wrecked supra and fit to bootom of a3 ftw.

Steve

hey Steve thats an amazing thread lol but i dont think i would want to kill my A3 in this manner lol