Dan's S3 Build Thread.................

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Evening boys.

Well i originally started one of these when i got the car 2 and a half years ago, started modding the car etc and then it happened, in the space of 1 week i got ran into twice, not even had the car a year when they happened.
From there on in went down hill, lost interest in the car, was in out and of jobs more than a hooker is in the back of car.

So here we are, ive started this thread to stop all the random threads i posted up, i can keep it all in one thread, from the mods to the problems.

The cars had quite alot done to it but at the same time its also got alot wrong with it. I'm going to be constantly updating with pics of the mods done and the parts that are yet tobe done/fitted.

The first thing will be a nice write up tomorrow on the goodies andrew@a.l.d has sent me :), thanks alot again mate for the work spent on this.
Also ill be posting some logs this week to see why the cars only making 5psi and will be testing out a working n75 valve (thanks dave), if that doesnt show any improvment then least itll save me forking out £40 on a n75 i may not need.

Sorry if ive rambled on a bit but i wanted to start this before i forgot or couldnt be bothered, now ive got a reason to carry on updating and modding :).

Dan.

Ok so i know i havent go round to updating the thread, due to a combination of work, drink and helping the gf redecorate, it's not really left me any spare time.

Ive managed to get photos of the wishbone front inserts that andrew has fabriacted but ive left the camera at home, doh, for people who dont know what these are, have a search on goog for defcon bushes, there are designed to repliacte the very early tt wishbones that had 30mm front bushes instead of the common 45mm, this was due to early tt owners driving like t***s and crashing there cars lol, so audi recalled all models and fitted the 45mm wishbone. The handling with the defcon bushes gives a greater degree of point and shoot feel to the car and also helps with understeer if i remember correctly, i will get the pics up tomorrow when im home.
These bushes are know available from andrew at £70 plus p&p which is a massive saving over the defcon ones that retail into the low £100's, plus he's a active audi-sport member so you know he's around for help and advice :).

Anyway i have managed to fit a working n75 to the car (thanks dave for lending it me), now i dont know if its a placebo effect but the car does seem to pull smoother when on boost and does seem to come on boost faster and holds it a little higher, about 0.5 psi, but this could just be varying weather and outside temps having an effect.
Ive done some runs since its been fitted and the car comes onto 5psi boost at just over 2000rpm, rising to about 7.5 psi from 4000rpm and its holds this right upto the 6800 redline, does this seem normal for a non-remapped s3?

Sorry for the slow progeress lads but it will pick up, ive got a garage full of stuff to fit and right up abit :).

Thats what i thought mate.

Thing is i cant find a single boost leak, ive replaced every vacuum/boost hose with silicone, even the TB and charcoal feeds, i carnt figure out what it is!
Maybe tired turbo!!

if you clear the codes ( if any ) and go for a blast while logging boost and such what does it read?
If you unplug the N75 valve ... does anything change? or same readings?

Where to did you get that info about Audi recalling all early TT's because of the bushes. It was because the aerodynamics of the car was very dangerous. It had positive lift at high speed which made the cars rear end become very very light at high speed causing owners to crash so all cars were recalled and the spoiler was fitted to combat this positive lift.

Standard boost pressure should be able 11-12psi. Are you sure the N75 valve is on the right way round, easily done.

Dan buy yourself a cheap boost gauge bud so you can see what's going on. It could well be the turbo. I've hunted for power loss for over a year to find that the turbo was at fault.

Nathan its off the modshack website, i know there was other changes done to the early tt's but the wishbone bushes was one of them.

Going to try and get some logs this week paul.

I have westle, thats how i know its only reaching 7.5psi max boost.

I cant see how its in limp mode thoguh sandip, theres nob fault codes showing at all, tbh i think the turbos just had it.

Does it make more noise than before?
Like a preasure cooker?

Nathan its off the modshack website, i know there was other changes done to the early tt's but the wishbone bushes was one of them.

Going to try and get some logs this week paul.

I have westle, thats how i know its only reaching 7.5psi max boost.

I cant see how its in limp mode thoguh sandip, theres nob fault codes showing at all, tbh i think the turbos just had it.
Take the tip off and feel for excessive play on the shaft...

Its got a weird tapping noise from the rear, near the turbo, like the sound the charcoal canister makes but louder, can hear it when stationary or driving.

Going to try and take the TIP off at some point this week, i think either the turbos ****** or the manifolds cracked.

Right, so heres the pics of the bushes:

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0741.jpg

IMG_0743.jpg

The Bushes are a solid piece of kit, they are designed tobe pressed in but after talking to andrew im going to drill a 8mm hole into the bush arm and have the bushes welded in, on top of that im going to use a smear of thread lock just to be extra safe :), cant wait to get these fitted.

Going to get pics of the KW Variant 2 coilovers up this week and the 16mm 4motion golf rear arb too, also got some rear powerflex bushes for the rear beams.

Left to but fot the suspension is:

LCR top mounts
Front powerflex arb bushes
Rear powerflex arb buhses
Steering rack powerflex bush
Front and rear drop links
Ball joints
Daves rear adjustable tie bars.

Not alot really haha.

Haha, not yet, i dare not buy anything else until ive done the suspension and what engine parts ive got so far, its wwaaayyyy too easy togo off on other routes before youve finished one thing lol.

Ok little update :).

Met old timmy boy ealier and bought some andymac front and rear speaker adaptors, seeming as my front drivers speaker has blown and the others and on the way out.

Also ive tried a working n75 valve off dave and the car still wasnt boosting, swapped mine back over and sent dave his back, what i didnt realise was, id not not connected it back up electronicaly, ive done over 50 mile without realisng, popped the bonnet earlier to disconnect it to run the car on actuator pressuire and its been running on actuator pressure, doh lol.
Anyway what does this mean? The car runs the exact same witb the n75 valve connected or disconnected? Also tim said my ebay vagcom cable might not be reading faults, he said he had a ebay cable and it never showed faults up, plug in his mats genuine vagcom and showed a load of vaults up, so im thinking the car could be in limp mode ://.

My ebay lead has never had a problem...
Let me know when your free and i will try and meet up with you ,
There are a few issues ive had that made it run limp mode boost levels.

Thanks paul, will do.
What issues did you have?

Does anyone know what the part number is for standard s3 injectors? Also, does anyone know what that ebay seller is called who seels injector seals? I believe a few have used him but cant seem to remember his ebay user name.

Also, drilled the wishbones ready to weld the steel bushes in, also cleaned up the kw coilies ready to be repainted with some nice yellow hammerite paint, picis to follow when done.

Hey, if its a plane spoon then im defo holding out, haha.

Just seen daves post, haha thanks mate.

Westle, :moa:.

Finally found the guy of ebay that does the injector seals :), just waiting on him to try and source me some :).

In other news, ive been down to see this company thats based near me after work:
Home - M-Tec Diagnostics#

I spoke to the guys there yesterday after work, told them about the car only boosting to around 6-7psi, the bloke said it sounds like the wastgates either blowing open or its jammed partly open.
Nipped down after to work to let them look over the car, after seeing the car he reckons it could be the cam chain tensioner, he says there is two plastiv parts on the chain that wear away and cause the chain tobe bevome slack, hes says this cause problems with the valves lapping and doesnt allow the car to build boost and cause the timing tobe out.

Now im not sure what to say, he said theyd need the car for a day to diagnose it properly though.

Does this seem possible? Could expalin my lumpy idle and why the rev needle is twitcher than a kid with tourettes!

Yeah seen them mate, so that the buyer you got them off? Seem a little dear but guessing there cheaper than the stealers!

Only just looked at the short shifter and that is a great price, they're normally about £40. That will be fine as there's not much that can go wrong with them. They are exactly the same as the standard one except for the cut out slot in the bottom left of the pic. This is where a slidey fixing goes to adjust the throw.

should handle nice with all the bush goodness!

why are all the stupid short shifters 6 speed! grrr lol

£80 for 2 ball joints, thats a joke.

Westle did i read in you thread that your runnig a compbrake frot to back shifter? Whats that like?