The yellow plastic top of the oil dipstick sleeve crumbled and broke into pieces

luckymacy

Reaction score
I should probably ask this question tomorrow after I have a chance to see the whole area with adequate lighting. Is this sleeve a part I should be able to order from the dealer and replace myself without having to rip out have the front of the engine components to get to the base of the sleeve? Do you need to get under the car to replace it? It's an AGU 1.8T engine. Anyone have a VW or Audi part number that should work? VW parts and mechanics are much easier to get a hold of where I live.

Is it possible to determine if any of the yellow plastic parts fell into the oil sump without taking it off and apart?

Thanks!

Unfortunatley this is a common problem as the cars get older. The spare plastic part is about £1 from somewhere like GSF or Euro Car Parts. As far as I'm aware it is a common part across lots of VAG cars. You need to break what remains of the plastic sleeve off the metal pipe - as it will be brittle this should be reasonably easy to do without any of it going into the engine.

When you get the new one, it is just a push fit over the metal pipe. Top tip is to put the new part in boiling water for several minutes to warm up the plastic. This makes it slightly more maleable and you are thus less likely to break it when you are putting it on.