fitted a large port head to my s3

Mpathe

1st gear
Reaction score
so after my cylinder head was knackered i replaced it with an agu head and it runs fine it just doesnt feel as fast and feels as if its holding back. im wondering if it needs my map tweaking to suit the large port head.

thanks inadvance mike

I would say defo needs a map to suit the larger port!!!

Yes it does

Tiny turbo trying to fill the large ports and taking time doing it

Large port is only really worth it when a large turbo is been used

yeah remap needed.. if you think.. your ecu allows so much air in your old port which perfectly fills and perfect ammount needed for that port..

now you have bigger ports, your ecu is putting same ammount of air in, which doesnt fill the port enough reducing pressures..

im finding this hard to explain lol

Dosn't the AJQ engine come as standard with a large port head ?? i'm sure i read it on one of those charts and the AJQ is only a KO3 engine

Can anyone answer the question of why did VW fit a large port head to a smaller turbo on these series of engines?

Yes it does

Tiny turbo trying to fill the large ports and taking time doing it

Large port is only really worth it when a large turbo is been used

or when i got the head for £25 off a mate, plus im thinking of the future. so i might have to make a trip down to badgers to get it tweeked and know that its in safe hands.

yeah remap needed.. if you think.. your ecu allows so much air in your old port which perfectly fills and perfect ammount needed for that port..

now you have bigger ports, your ecu is putting same ammount of air in, which doesnt fill the port enough reducing pressures..

im finding this hard to explain lol

nope

the AJQ has the K03s turbo :)

People keep saying that but maybe that depends on the year of AJQ as mine is a 1999 and the KO3s didn't exist then, so they say ! ..... however a tuning company i approached when i first got my car said if it was Drive By Wire then it was KO3s and that Audi had a habit of fitting things a little earlier than the official dates so who knows..... i have 2 weeks off work now and intend doing a few jobs on the car one of which is fitting my Forge TIP that's been sat in the garage for 2 years lol so when i do that i'll find out one way or another..... another job is to investigate the possibility of making the rear windows electric with some RC servos and a little skullduggery :) I'll keep you guys posted

VAG switched to the smaller ports to improve low/midrange tractability.

I would imagine a tweaked map with a bit more timing in the low/midrange area could get most of the difference back though?

Based on the recent work Bill has done on hybrid K04's its pretty much evident that large port heads allow more timing advance... here is a comparison between Welly's and Danes...
dane-hybrid-welly-hybrid-ign-gs.jpg

<tuffty/>

wow i'm impressed with how long it can hold the extra timing for (more or less everywhere bar the odd bump in the small port graph)!

Its a pretty significant difference too, ~7-8degrees!

wow i'm impressed with how long it can hold the extra timing for (more or less everywhere bar the odd bump in the small port graph)!

Its a pretty significant difference too, ~7-8degrees!

Yeah, my engine runs massive timing advance, as will Tuffty's when mapped.

These large port heads just work, and there is simply no denying it. They fill the cylinders more efficiently, reduce knock, it's just all good.

My fitting of the AGU head was completely accidental and was only through necessity, but I am now so so glad that I did it back then.

I will log blocks 002, 011 and 020 on the way home for reference as I need to do some logging anyway.

VAG switched to the smaller ports to improve low/midrange tractability.

I would imagine a tweaked map with a bit more timing in the low/midrange area could get most of the difference back though?

they were also targetting their cars to have flat torque curve across the range and target power for them was 210/225bhp

change the power goals, change the spec... apples and pears comparison

largeports rock!

so bill would you say i could gain some power with the agu head or roughly make the same as the std head after it has been mapped again

Alrite lads just juming on your thread. Could a large port head be put on my AUM ? What work would be involved? Im itching for a remap but i want to put evrything i can afford on before the remap :). Thanks for any help nd interupting the topic at hand lol.

if you've got an AUM engine, you've probably got a ko3S, I've not yet heard of anyone tweaking timing with a large port and ko3S,

i'm fairly sure Bills played about with ko3S cars on unisettings though to get close to 240bhp

Thanks mate just looking at evrything i can do before remap, if thers not much point then i wont bother. On another note whilst i gt peoples attention iv gt a question about my dv fitment, basically iv put the bottom end of the dv into the hot side nd the side port into the tip, iv done it this way as i thought the pistion would be on the side wher the boost is... Am i wrong please correct me if so nd take the **** to your hearts content lol