Switching on Lights draining power? And now front side light comes on when braking!

Gavin G

Reaction score
This just started yesterday. When i am driving in any gear cruising along and i switch on my lights, the car loses power as if if is dying out doesn't matter if i try reving just now reponse whatsoever, only comes back to normal when i change down a gear. Any ideas what this problem could be?

2002 A3 AUM

Last edited:
Ok thanks Dave, i'll check the terminals, she is in for an check up on Thursday before she goes for the MOT i will get them to check the alternator while they ar at it :thumbsup:

Hi folks me again, iv'e just noticed in the rear of a shiney big jeep when driving home that when i press the brake my left hand side front light comes on :ermm: What could be wrong with me car? Relay fcked, fuse, some more serious?? Please help :unsure:

After Googling and checking the brake light bulb that i replace i found it's only got one connector at the bottom when it should have 2 hopefully i'll replace it and it will fix the side light issue :notme: Do you guys think this maybe would be related to the other issue?

if you put a single filiment bulb in a twin filiment bulbhlder (yes it can be done! lol) when you brake, it can cause the side lights to come on, vice versa as it can power the opposite circuit, i would try that and see what happens mate!

Got a new bulb (twin filament lol) and things are fine now, it also fixed the power drain when i switched the headlights on, who would have thought 1 wee bulb could cause so many problems :nyah::yahoo: thanks guys

lol yep, in thatcase, i would say the bulb was connecting the wrong circuits as i said above :) glad its sorted mate.
onwards and upwards as they say!