Volks AutosAH Fabrications
    1st Gear

Status

Switching on Lights draining power? And now front side light comes on when braking!

This just started yesterday. When i am driving in any gear cruising along and i switch on my lights, the car loses power as if if is dying out doesn't matter if i try reving just now reponse whatsoever, only comes back to normal when i change down a gear. Any ideas what this problem could be?

2002 A3 AUM
    Last edited by Gavin G; 31st May 2011 at 17:51.

2. # ADS
    ADS

TFSI Hybrid

Status
    Sounds like a dying alternator or loose terminals..

1st Gear

Status
    Ok thanks Dave, i'll check the terminals, she is in for an check up on Thursday before she goes for the MOT i will get them to check the alternator while they ar at it

1st Gear

Status
    Hi folks me again, iv'e just noticed in the rear of a shiney big jeep when driving home that when i press the brake my left hand side front light comes on What could be wrong with me car? Relay fcked, fuse, some more serious?? Please help

1st Gear

Status
    After Googling and checking the brake light bulb that i replace i found it's only got one connector at the bottom when it should have 2 hopefully i'll replace it and it will fix the side light issue Do you guys think this maybe would be related to the other issue?

A3 1.8t Quattro Sport!

Status
    if you put a single filiment bulb in a twin filiment bulbhlder (yes it can be done! lol) when you brake, it can cause the side lights to come on, vice versa as it can power the opposite circuit, i would try that and see what happens mate!

1st Gear

Status
    Got a new bulb (twin filament lol) and things are fine now, it also fixed the power drain when i switched the headlights on, who would have thought 1 wee bulb could cause so many problems thanks guys

A3 1.8t Quattro Sport!

Status
    lol yep, in thatcase, i would say the bulb was connecting the wrong circuits as i said above glad its sorted mate.
    onwards and upwards as they say!