Coilovers - Anything else needed?

TDIQ

8L > 8P > 8V
Reaction score
Going to get some coilovers for my TDIQ, and am currently opting for the KW V1s. Does anyone know if I'll need anything else other than just the coilovers like ARBs or bushes?

Is there anything else worth changing whilst I'm at it, and can it be done with jacks or is a job you have to use a lift for?

it can be done on jacks would be quicker on a ramp.

if your car is a quattro then the rear tie arms are a must also i would change the top mounts and bearings aswel just to make sure every thing is new when changed

Axle stands are a must. Don't just use jacks! As mentioned, top mounts and bearings would be a good idea too.

Thanks for the replies. I forgot to mention I would be using axle stands too!

It is a quattro, so which tie arms, top mounts and bearings are recommended? OEM?

if your going to do suspension you'll want to change your bushes and top mounts at the same time. Next question is how low do you want to go becuase if you go too low you'll getting issues witht the drive shafts rubbing on the ARBs. In which case you'll either need new droplinks or a different ARB. There arguments favouring each solution but i think the consensus is a new ARB

The KW's are a 25-50mm drop but I'll be sticking with 25mm to begin with. Did you go for OEM top mounts and bushes or aftermarket? Is it worth getting Powerflex or other aftermarket bushes?

again, arguments for and against powerflex bushes. When i did my suspension i got new shocks and springs, top mounts, bushes, ARBs, drop links, ball joints and adjustable tie arms. For the top mounts, drop links, ball joints and bushes i went with OEM. I have heard that an LCR top mount is a good alternative to standard, this is for an S3 remember. Not entirely sure with your A3 TQS

My thoughts when going with OEM bushes rather than powerflex was that its an Audi with luxury interior, negates the point of a nice car if you've got a bone rattling ride IMO and i dont want the head unit falling out the dash either, but then i havent been in a polybushed car. I would have thought its more appropriate for a CTR EP3 or similar. Anyway, its your choice...