sinister engine noise, im quite worried.

superkarl

MAN OF STEEL
Reaction score
So as of yesterday coming back from manchester, on the motorway and putting my foot down abit from70 I notice a crackly/tapping noise, tonight I've noticed it again, 4th gear, 4krpm and it makes it again. It's not a repetitive pattern of a noise, just at full load a ting tink ta tink tink tink. It's quite quiet, but it sounds sinister, and i dont want it to manifest.
Someone please give me some ideas and suggestions.
I'm going to go round the engine at some point and give everything a tighten and check. It's almost a metallic rattle that somethings loose.

Always on high octane fuel, the odd 10 quid fill up of standard out of desperation.
Pick up should be clean as awhistle, changed over 10k ago with oil change every 5k.
I wish I could show someone or record it but no way would a Mic pick it up.
It does it full boost
There is no hesitation or loss of power.
Could do with scanning really.

as mad as it sounds that seems logical to the noise. But, how? Lol, and why?
I guess il have to check for play in the shaft... oh dear, expensive ideas....

Check the metal guard that covers your cat, my wifes rattled and we had it cut off.

DC

I've just thought of the perfect description of the sound. The ticking sound a cooling engine makes. Randomly at full load but only at say 60mph+ under acceleration

So the sound of cooling/contracting metal? That the sound? It has that very unique tinging kinda sound lol.

If it was the turbo surely it would do it in every gear as it comes on boost so it dosn't sound like that as you say it only happens at 60 mph and above ..... if you rev the engine out of gear does it make the noise ??? does it get worse the faster you go ???

It seems to only be aparent in higher gears under full load. Which is odd.4th gear at 4k rpm is when its at its worse.
At best something is loose and yat vibrating. But I'm not convinced it is. At idle I had a listen to the engine, and there's an oddly occuring tick or tap noise, not easy to hear, quieter than the injectors. It seemed to be from the back right of the bay.

It seems to only be aparent in higher gears under full load. Which is odd.4th gear at 4k rpm is when its at its worse.
At best something is loose and yat vibrating. But I'm not convinced it is. At idle I had a listen to the engine, and there's an oddly occuring tick or tap noise, not easy to hear, quieter than the injectors. It seemed to be from the back right of the bay.

As always, without hearing it it's hard to say, certainly sounds like an odd noise though, especially being seeming random. Check for silly things like jubilee clips being tight and not touching on anything around the back of the engine - turbo to charge pipe mainly.

The area you say it happens, is simply max load. Especially in 4th/5th/6th so the engine is working it's hardest at that point.

I'd pull the plugs out just to see what colour they are - at least it will give you an idea of running condition.

I pulled the plugs out last night, well, one of them and tightened the rest. Wasn't white which is what I was afraid of, it was nicely burnt and brown if you know wjat I mean, I'm due to replace them anyway. Hopefully it is somwthing simple. I just assume the worst as im sure most of us do. More updates tonight after a scan and a thorough check and the opinion of my old man

I pulled the plugs out last night, well, one of them and tightened the rest. Wasn't white which is what I was afraid of, it was nicely burnt and brown if you know wjat I mean, I'm due to replace them anyway. Hopefully it is somwthing simple. I just assume the worst as im sure most of us do. More updates tonight after a scan and a thorough check and the opinion of my old man

At least if they are biscuit brown then all would appear to be well fueling wise inside the lump.

It might also be worth saying that recently coilpack 3 has been popping up after even the shortest and lightest drives, I've since tightened the plugs and cut a slit in the rubber of the coil pack. But still this noise. But they seemed to come at the same time

It might also be worth saying that recently coilpack 3 has been popping up after even the shortest and lightest drives, I've since tightened the plugs and cut a slit in the rubber of the coil pack. But still this noise. But they seemed to come at the same time

Hmmmm, coincidental to say the least, and I don't believe in coincidence....

I'm expecting that coilpack to fail now, which if it does, I can be sure thats the issue. Was booked in for the recall on sat too, but i was hungover and by the time i got the garage the workshop had closed lol

Hmmm could it be your turbines catching ever so slightly.......lol

i would have thought that if you can distinguish the discreete "ting tink ta tink tink tink" its unlikely to be the turbo.... they spin a bit too fast, 100,000's rpm?

i would have thought that if you can distinguish the discreete "ting tink ta tink tink tink" its unlikely to be the turbo.... they spin a bit too fast, 100,000's rpm?

Mine made a metallic tinking when it was catching on the hotside, also only on boost because the shaft had in/out play rather than side to side

It's done 136k. I thought that if it was that wouldnt it be blowing? And make a horrific sound. My turbo to manifold came loose once and blew, i never replaced the gasket.

It's another 'could be' to check, the hotsides crack on the K04's which causes the gasket to split too, the gasket is fairly easy to change though :)

Have you check the turbo for play, in/out?

Sell sell sell

whatever you do, dont let anyone test drive it over 40, and if they do, just turn the stereo up :o.k:

By my process of elimination im going to say engine mounts/ exhaust movement though... im sure its nothing too serious though

:( took my dad out in it just then, as soon as he heard it he said its knock, or thats the first thoughts anyway.
did it in 2nd, 3rd and 4th, full boost, 4k rpm.
wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyyyy?!!!
so, what should i do know?
getting scanned tonight, maybe a thorough check of things if i have time.