Big BHP on a 1.8T FWD?

LeeT

Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a big turbo and tuned a FWD 1.8T? I know the quattro would be the ideal platform but whos done what here? :)

Have a look at RichA3T's old car - IIRC that was well over 300bhp.
will have a quick search, thanks. Ideally nearer to 400 would be my aim though. Im buying one purely for a toy

no point IMO - think about it - if it's just a toy do it correctly - might as well buy a quattro a4 !

Also how much of a job is it to turbo a non turbo car?

Also how much of a job is it to turbo a non turbo car?

Pointless exercise tbh mate... better off starting with a turbo car as a base unless you plan a full engine build and standalone ECU...

<tuffty/>

Pointless exercise tbh mate... better off starting with a turbo car as a base unless you plan a full engine build and standalone ECU...

<tuffty/>
thanks for that, just looking at all the options. I dont really feel standalone is needed on these cars from what i understand. Ideally i WILL buy the quattro but i need to keep my options open. Initially i was looking at the B5 A4/S4 but after looking about feel the A3/S3 would suit the project better. I already have a B6 1.8TQS and an A6 C5 4.2 quattro but fancy a high powered turbo project

If going high power then quattro all the way...... the 447bhp GT30'd Ibiza we just finished is a little insane to drive... mine just puts the power down... simples...

<tuffty/>

If going high power then quattro all the way...... the 447bhp GT30'd Ibiza we just finished is a little insane to drive... mine just puts the power down... simples...

<tuffty/>
have you got a link to the build or indeed any info on it?

no point IMO - think about it - if it's just a toy do it correctly - might as well buy a quattro a4 !
Why a quattro A4? I already own a B6 A4TQS and have owned the S4 B6 V8 in nogaro. To be honest i just fancy a very well handling pocket rocket and i love Audi's

Posted all the links earlier... link to my thread is in my sig...

<tuffty/>

have a look at prawns thread, his a3 could destroy most things on a track and he's only got a ko3s. big power will make the handing worse i think!!

but he said he wants something that handles well, not a drag car.

yeah bills probably handles nice but how much has been spent? speckys tigra would **** itsself if you put it on a track lol

have a look at prawns thread, his a3 could destroy most things on a track and he's only got a ko3s. big power will make the handing worse i think!!
will do a search on prawns car and take a look.

but he said he wants something that handles well, not a drag car.

yeah bills probably handles nice but how much has been spent? speckys tigra would **** itsself if you put it on a track lol

Badgers has more power than andys

They are set up for there needs i'e badger track and andys 1/4 mile

Why a quattro A4? I already own a B6 A4TQS and have owned the S4 B6 V8 in nogaro. To be honest i just fancy a very well handling pocket rocket and i love Audi's

because the a4 has a proper quattro system and it's only one size up from the a3..... a3's do not have the space to fit audi's quattro system (so they say) so they are fitted with a haldex system instead.

if you want 400 + bhp you wont want it in a fwd or a awd haldex

imo - 400+bhp belongs in a rear wheel drive or mechanical awd car

anything is possible its just how much you wanna spend. wouldnt the blue haldex controller help alot with this issue the a3/s3 has with only 20 to the rear and 80% power to the front.

best speaking to welly and tufty and also bill about anything to do with big power and how to get it down.

YouTube - &#x202a;TDi North Drag car EP3 Civic Running 10&#39;s&#x202c;&rlm;
this shows how it is possible to do anything to a car i know the lad who drives it and trust me its far from standard

Just my two pence. It would be worth spending the extra £500 to start with and get the quattro. My a3 wheel spins all the time and is standard! Steve

anything is possible its just how much you wanna spend. wouldnt the blue haldex controller help alot with this issue the a3/s3 has with only 20 to the rear and 80% power to the front.

best speaking to welly and tufty and also bill about anything to do with big power and how to get it down.

YouTube - &#x202a;TDi North Drag car EP3 Civic Running 10&#39;s&#x202c;&rlm;
this shows how it is possible to do anything to a car i know the lad who drives it and trust me its far from standard

the module does not send "more" power to the rear at all, it just controls when and how the power is sent

i believe the haldex in an 8l s3 can send around 60% to the rear, possibly more, either way, it's certainly more than 20%

standard max split is 70/30 front rear and the uprated haldex controller is able to make that 50/50 aswell as being an altogether more advanced bit of kit (IIRC)

happy to be proven wrong :)

standard max split is 70/30 front rear and the uprated haldex controller is able to make that 50/50 aswell as being an altogether more advanced bit of kit (IIRC)

just done some revision, the controller can actually send nearly 100% of torque to the rear wheels

but, you'd need the front wheels on ice and the rear on tarmac lol

not sure where you people get your figures lol, this came directly from haldex

There are situations where near 100% torque transfer to the rear axle
occur. An example is if the front wheels are on ice and the rear wheels are
on tarmac. In that case the front wheels have (almost) no grip. In that
case, the Haldex coupling will transfer all torque to the rear axle and
prevent front wheel spin. On uniform surfaces however, the coupling can not
transfer all torque to the rear axle.

oh and another thing, remember the haldex system is a clutch (same found in motorcycles), if you are planning on using it as a proper awd system, be prepared to have the plates changed (if you can even do that) !

quattro > haldex - and this is coming from an s3 owner, modules and controllers wont bring a haldex into the same league as a proper mechanical awd system

all my opinions though!

thanks for all the replies, been very helpful. I didnt even realise the a3 wasnt a true quattro system. Ive decided it will definitely be quattro then and still an A3. After having a good look at at the B5 A4 i feel they look way too dated for my liking.