Has anyone got original s3 suspension setup?

hank3944

Reaction score
Can you measure the distance between the centre of the wheel and the start of the wheel arch?

I have a sneaking suspicion that my rear may have the wrong springs or shocks :)

My measurements are Front: 35.5cms Rear:37cms

Thanks.

Just measured mine for you mate rear 15cm....front 15cm.

15cms? How much have you lowered your car by? Lol.

Mine measures:
35.5 cms on the rear
35 cms on the front

I'm running standard shocks and springs, but they are past their best and need replacing (particularly the rears). Hope this helps.

15cm from centre of wheel to wheel arch...standard??! 17" rims + tyres/2 = ~12.5" ~ 32cm

32 cm + wheel to arch gap is greater than 32cm..... 15cm!! Nope

15 inches would be closer

I am thinking about 35cms front and rear should be about standard. Some more examples would be really good.

Thanks guys

hank, what exactly do you think is wrong with your S3 suspension?

I can see the back is higher than the front. just want to know what standard spec should be.....

If its any help my wifes is 35cm all round on original suspension.

DC

It would be more helpful if you had an S3, your sig suggests otherwise.

Hank, S3's have 2 specs of springs, standard and gmbh lowered items. the latter was available as an optional extra in europe, but not UK, and they was standard fit on car with the optional 18" RSTT rims at the time of purchase, that's what I'm lead to believe anyways.

hope that helps.

It would be more helpful if you had an S3, your sig suggests otherwise.

Hank, S3's have 2 specs of springs, standard and gmbh lowered items. the latter was available as an optional extra in europe, but not UK, and they was standard fit on car with the optional 18" RSTT rims at the time of purchase, that's what I'm lead to believe anyways.

hope that helps.

As i stated........"If its any help"

DC

So did anyone conclude as to weather the suspension will settle ? i have the same problem (rear springs)

OMG mine looked shocking after my springs were fitted (I did a post somewhere here). They settled down over the course of a few months and I've had them on for 2yrs now. See how you get on but you do need to give them a little while.

got any pics of how it looked ? the gap, tyre to arch must be 50-70mm

No pics of what it did look like after it was fitted, but I remember getting approx. four fingers in the gap! It's now down to three and I just measured it. It's 35.5cm from the middle of the centre cap to the top of the arch. If yours isn't yet...it will settle over time.

cool will check the dimension tomorrow although it does sit awfully high. Its a shame one of these top tuning companies havent come out with 10 or 15mm lowering kit in the hope adjustable tie bars arent required. Both my old springs had snapped & the car sat quite nicely without any dodgy camber.

No pics of what it did look like after it was fitted, but I remember getting approx. four fingers in the gap! It's now down to three and I just measured it. It's 35.5cm from the middle of the centre cap to the top of the arch. If yours isn't yet...it will settle over time.
Four fingers in the gap, haha, try stretch it to a whole fist :yum:

I really do hope the springs well lose tension, what i did notice was the springs are under constant compression which is a good thing in this situation.

checked it out today, i suffer from the 4 finger problem, i really dont get why there isnt a 3rd party that does a 10-15mm lowering kit ! just what it it needs. Shouldnt affect chamber either.

I'm happy with mine. Although they have been on two years now! What's the distance from centre cap to arch? Mine is 35.5cm. They will settle down over time, but if you're conscious about it go for some eibachs or H&R...?

What part numbers did you get fitted for the springs?